By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you care about 3D?

I don't really care

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Around the Network

Honestly couldnt care less

it wud be kinda cool for indie shit and stuff =)

No. I watched Avatar in 3D and enjoyed it, but I think I would have enjoyed it almost as much in 2D.

uber said:
there is no possible way to do 3D without glasses without having a hologram projector.

i think 3D gaming is going to blow people's minds. just think how popular the films are. this is an interactive medium that is fully 3D....it could take immersion to the next level. imagine bullets flying at you and actually moving in your seat out of instinct. i can't wait. i love shooters, and so i think 3D gaming will be great for the genre.

for other types of games it might be nothing more than a cosmetic difference.

I also thought that. It would make 3d without glasses impossible for the next decades holographic projection is still nowhere.  We will see holographic 3d maybe in 30-40 years.

But I replied once to a thread were they said 3d without glasses is atleast a decade away because you need 15 times the resolution to do that. How exactly it works I dont know but its the same principle like nowadays.

I edit the link to the thread where a developer made a statement if I find it in the next minutes.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=94250&page=2

Here some quotes out of the text:

"Glassless 3D would be ideal," he said. "But it's just not possible to do that now and get the same quality experience. You would need at least 50 times more pixels to get a display to provide the same 3D experience that we provide with our TV. We are still 10 years away from that kind of technology."

"Glassless 3D is available today for digital signage and advertising," Park explained. "But the technology is not ready for TVs, because it would hurt people's eyes or give them a headache to look at today's 3D displays for any length of time. It will be at least a decade before we can get the technology to make glassless TV a reality."

That said, some manufacturers claim they have developed technology that doesn't require glasses. Phillips uses a technology it calls WOWvx. 3M and Toshiba also showed off glassless 3D screens at CES. 3M has created a thin film technology that can be used to beam light selectively to the viewer's right and left eyes.

I made an calculation for the 50 times more pixels first I forgot some elemntal mathematics but then I got it right 6480*16000 Would be neccessary for 3d without glasses according to this guy.

Around the Network

Well, nobody really "cared" about HD either. People who don't experience the thing first-hand still don't care about it, so...

I'd wait to have the full experience in a living-room/bedroom, and then I'll decide if I care.

This thread is just full of ignorant people (myself included).

It makes my eyes ache and my head hurt. Also, it looks more like 1-10 layers than real 3D. At least Avatar did to me.

All in all, not worth it yet.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

3D with glasses and especially for gaming = poor/dated idea.

Uber: "there is no possible way to do 3D without glasses without having a hologram projector"

Go look up some new TV tech. It exists offering 3D without glasses!
LG, Philips, Intel, Mitsubishi, and more.

3D using glasses will soon be a thing of the past.

@ Holesome )

"soon" eh? in 8-10 years maybe and if 3D with glasses doesn't catch on it might be more like 30 years

I personally don't mind wearing glasses while watching films / playing games and seriously can't believe that it really is such a huge issue for some people ..

Not really.

4 ≈ One