By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Multiple Disc Argument - It just doesn’t work for anyone.

johnsobas said:
are people honestly that lazy? It just blows my mind that it really bothers people that much. Maybe if the game was more than 3 discs it would start to get annoying, but any game that is over 10 hours and 3 discs or under i don't see any reason to make such a big fuss over it. Do people honestly spend 4 hours without getting off the couch?

the argument isn't that it is a big deal, the argument is that it's better.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
johnsobas said:
are people honestly that lazy? It just blows my mind that it really bothers people that much. Maybe if the game was more than 3 discs it would start to get annoying, but any game that is over 10 hours and 3 discs or under i don't see any reason to make such a big fuss over it. Do people honestly spend 4 hours without getting off the couch?

well of course it is better, nobody in here is arguing that, nobody.  The problem is that when we're talking about blu-ray, something that made the ps3 cost way more than it would have otherwise and lost Sony boat loads of money disc swapping seems like an extremely petty thing to do in comparison.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

johnsobas said:
theprof00 said:
johnsobas said:

well of course it is better, nobody in here is arguing that, nobody.  The problem is that when we're talking about blu-ray, something that made the ps3 cost way more than it would have otherwise and lost Sony boat loads of money disc swapping seems like an extremely petty thing to do in comparison.

this was from the OP:

I’ve seen some of the recent debate over which is the better multi-platform (Xbox 360 and PS3) version, using the number of DVD's to a single Blu-ray as a factor of argument on this site.  Sadly, it has been blown out of proportion for the most part, and there is a reality everyone needs to face.

It’s just a fact that one disc as opposed to several is a convenience no matter how small of a convenience it is.  And do some blow it out of proportion?  Yes.  But what’s even more annoying is the “we’ve changed discs before back in the past” argument.

-yes, nobody is arguing over it here. But everywhere else they do. I think the part that annoys jordahn the most is that people say "we don't care, it's what we're used to", but in reality, everyone would prefer 1 disc (or even less!).

I think it's great myself. It's nothing to write home about, but it's also just one example of many downplaying the ps3 features. Like I wrote above, the same people will say, "there is no difference between SD and HD" or "buying rechargeable batteries is just as good as having a rechargeable controller".

yea of course you would choose single disc, but it's honestly such a small issue that something like acheivements would be more important than disc swapping. Personally i only own a ps3 and i'm gonna get whatever game on ps3 anyways, FF13 is one of the few games that is a slam dunk gotta get on PS3 game.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

It is a minor annoyance. More than offset by conveniences like BC and exclusives. At the root of this issue is price. Yes, a game of 10-12 GB can be put on a BR disc but will you pay $100?

Prices have crept up here in the frozen north. DA and ME2 were $69.99 cdn. $80 once we pay the guvmint. That is pushing the limit. The exchange rate should add $6 on a hundred not $10 on $60. Taxes are not BW's fault but that is more than I want to pay and more than Americans would ever accept.

Sound compression and video resolution, especially in cut-scenes seem to be bigger issues than play time. Bethesda has managed to put gigantic hd games on one disc. What's the diff.?
The industry has long adjusted content to a price point set decades in the past. That may be changing soon. I would rather pay $50 for a game that fits on 1 DVD9.

Around the Network

I have a 360, I prefer the 360, and I want to play 360 games. If that means I have to swap disks, what the hell am I supposed to do?

well it works for MS... its cheaper to make than bluray drives and they can profit more off the discs..

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

I dont think the problem with multiple disks is really the consumers but the publishers. Having to press 3 DVD's for a game that sells 1 million copies, costs a lot more money than just 1 DVD I'd venture to guess it costs more than making 1 BD as well.

Does the year matter?
Who cares if it's 2010 and devs dont have the option of blu-ray. PS3 devs are forced to used blu-ray and every other machine doesn't use blu-ray so where is their "option"?
Do PC's use blu-ray for games yet?

360 wouldn't have this problem if the HDD was standard in every console. They would install like PC games with no swapping.