By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - can the 360 sell 70+ million consoles?

can the 360 sell 70+ million consoles?

Yeah easy 111 30.16%

Nope 129 35.05%

Mabye a little less 104 28.26%

I'm a troll so I'll go here 24 6.52%

Total:368

70 million Xbox 360 console???

No way.
Well, I HOPE NOT!

I want next-gen to begin as soon as possible!
Please Microsoft, Xbox 3 for 2011 or 2012 maximum.

This gen will soon be 5 years old, time to upgrade hardware Big Time.
Wii, PS3 and 360 can't catch up with the PC horsepower. Imagine next year... and the year after...

My Gaming Setup

Around the Network

Potentially in theory yes they can, but it seems unlikely.

If they keep more major PC titles from hitting the PC and the XBox 360 exclusively instead. Paying off a lot of 3rd parties, they surely could. Or by going below a 100 bucks with their entry pricing.

-don't flamebait people, no matter how subtle you try to be.  Tor

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

I doubt it.  DVD are maxed at 8.5GBs and they can barely fit in games now.  That being said, it's life will be a lot shorter than the PS3 or Wii making it unlikely that it will be around long enough to hit 70million.  I mean they've yet to build a console that can survive past 5 years and with such small limits on the hardware, mainly game storage I don't see how the 360 will best the original XBox by much.  The PS3 is also catching up in consoles sales making it possible for 3rd party devs to sell enough on one console while not being limit by a mere 8.5GB limit.  3rd parties will most likely jump ship; Im thinking about how so many 3rd party devs were attracted to the PS1 and ditch the N64 because its storage held back developers.

@ Neoraf

Wii, PS3 and 360 can't catch up with the PC horsepower.

With regard to raw CPU horsepower the PS3 beats top range PC CPUs and of course the majority of PC owners don't have top spec CPUs. If you mean GPUs then yes, but in general they aren't as flexible where this power can be utilized and the RSX is more geared towards taking advantage of the Cell.

With regard to realizing results, I have more faith in Sony's first parties and the Blu-Ray advantage. PCs do have the ability to upgrade towards well more RAM, but I think the PS3 has a nicely balanced sweetshot if taking good advantage of Blu-Ray streaming.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

The 360 is already nearing 40, so I think they wil lsell 12 this year, and about 10-12 the next, so I think 70 is in the cards, or very close to it. Considering that most people would have laughed at 40-50 BEFORE this generation started, it is a massive accomplishment for M$. I think the next generation consoles are going to be delayed a year or two anyway.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network

@ EdStation3

DVD are maxed at 8.5GBs and they can barely fit in games now.

XBox 360 DVDs hold no more than 6.8 GBs of game related data.

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:

@ EdStation3

DVD are maxed at 8.5GBs and they can barely fit in games now.

XBox 360 DVDs hold no more than 6.8 GBs of game related data.

because over 1 gig goes to copyright protection

@ Trolillian

You have no sense of humor.

PS3 vs 360 sales

Hah. No.

Microsoft may have claimed now that they're going to support the 360 for a long time, but Microsoft has lied about support longevity before and they will lie about it again. The moment the 360 stops making enough money to justify Microsoft holding off on releasing a new console to the market, they'll deny the 360 ever existed and press on.

Microsoft is likely to play a very careful game of cards here; it's clear that they're waiting for Sony and Nintendo's next move. They do not have the kind of lead on the market that they wanted. Microsoft is the kind of company that wants 90% market share in everything they do -- they thought beating Sony and Nintendo to this generation would do it for them and it didn't. They won't repeat that move, but they're also not going to wait. The 360 does not have the kind of horsepower to compete in multiple generations.

toastboy44562 said:
hallowedbeeddie said:
seriously, it will get there, but so what?

3rd best selling console of all time

70 million would be the 3rd best selling console of all time? Are you saying the Wii won't get there?