By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - $500 cosmic PC is cosmic is it not?

$500 cosmic PC is cosmic is it not?

Yes I agree. 9 50.00%

No I don't. 5 27.78%

I don't know. 4 22.22%

Total:18

The Antec Sonata 2 is definitely the way to go.... Those cases are sooo quiet.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Around the Network
kamil said:
Can you really buy such a system for 500$? Right now I'm looking for a new hard drive, graphic card and PSU similar to those in that spec and its going to cost me over 300$. Through I guess prices are a bit lower in US.

Also I'm not sure if 380W is enough for 4850. ATI say that 450W is required.

The Earthwatts is a good power supply unit, one of the best you can get alongside a case. It also follows a more modern ATX specification where a majority of the parts are using +12V which included the CPU, Ram and GPU as well as HDD and Optical drives. Older PSUs and weaker PSUs often have less power available on the +12V rail relative +3V and +5V lines which is why they are so conservative.

You'd probably be able to buy the system cheaper if there were specials going on as cases and graphics cards especially often have incentives.

invetedlotus123 said:
WilliamWatts said:

Personally if I was building from scratch I would leave out the optical drive. I haven't burnt a disc in years and I certainly haven't played one either. That would save $25. The reasoning for the larger HDD was because I figured that with limited sata power connectors on the PSU it would be best to limit the number of drives. 750GB would last for ages and age and it would only save about $20. 

But for install the games you need an optical drive right? Or are you going to buy games just from Steam? I'm not a professional pc gamers, but i would say to leave the optival drive out just if this pc is only for gaming, because Optical drive is very useful in the everyday use.

I haven't used an optical drive in my latest build. I even installed my operating system over the network because it was easier. I get all my games from Steam and D2D and GOG etc. I don't have music CDs or DVDs or Blu Ray because I hate physical media.

That's a good PC for that price. And as for me, I need an optical drive. I import my cd's to iTunes and I burn CD's for friends, and buy physical media, so I need one. I like having a physical copy of my games and movies. You have more control over them if you do.

CatFangs806 said:

That's a good PC for that price. And as for me, I need an optical drive. I import my cd's to iTunes and I burn CD's for friends, and buy physical media, so I need one. I like having a physical copy of my games and movies. You have more control over them if you do.

I agree, optical drive is necessary for me too.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

Man I love the PC. Now we just need a lean and mean gaming OS.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

^ Windows 7 is pretty good! Much better than XP in my experience.

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

I don't know if that 380W PSU will be able to handle that video card (it's probably dual +12V rails). The case only has one fan, so it'll get hot. The Caviar Green is a slow, tri-platter(?) drive meant for bulk storage and it shouldn't be used as a system boot drive. Here's what I'd do instead:

Athlon II X3 435 - $75

ASRock M3A770DE - $60

Cooler Master Centurion 5 - $50

Sapphire Radeon 4850 - $100

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB - $56

Corsair 450VX - $60 after MIR

4GB Patriot DDR3-1333 Memory - $97

Samsung DVD Burner - $25

...which goes something like $20 over the $500 mark, but which gives you a better case with two fans and toolless mounts, a much better/more reliable PSU with a single +12V rail and 5-year warranty, and a fast single-platter boot drive. To go under the $500 mark you could easily drop down to an Athlon II X2 240, which would still enable you to squeeze playable framerates from most games at 1680x1050 or lower.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Garcian Smith said:

I don't know if that 380W PSU will be able to handle that video card (it's probably dual +12V rails). The case only has one fan, so it'll get hot. The Caviar Green is a slow, tri-platter(?) drive meant for bulk storage and it shouldn't be used as a system boot drive. Here's what I'd do instead:

Athlon II X3 435 - $75

ASRock M3A770DE - $60

Cooler Master Centurion 5 - $50

Sapphire Radeon 4850 - $100

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB - $56

Corsair 450VX - $60 after MIR

4GB Patriot DDR3-1333 Memory - $97

Samsung DVD Burner - $25

...which goes something like $20 over the $500 mark, but which gives you a better case with two fans and toolless mounts, a much better/more reliable PSU with a single +12V rail and 5-year warranty, and a fast single-platter boot drive. To go under the $500 mark you could easily drop down to an Athlon II X2 240, which would still enable you to squeeze playable framerates from most games at 1680x1050 or lower.

Cosmic!

But even more cosmic is the Thermaltake Element T with 1x 120mm and 1x 200mm fans for $50 after MIR with free shipping.

Ultra cosmic is both it and a 650W PSU for $95 after MIR with free shipping as a combo which brings the price back down to $500

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.334872 A better motherboard for $5 less? Yes please.