By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Quite possibly the worst DRM and most ridiculous idea ever

Katilian said:
WilliamWatts said:

I remember the same outcry when Steam activation for Half Life 2 was announced. The exact same responses and now Steam is the saviour of PC gaming. Look at how far we've come.

Those that cried out when Steam came along are still not using Steam. I know because I'm one of them. With Steam you no longer "own" any games you buy, you are on a long term rental. If Valve decides that I should not have access to a game any more, I can no longer play a game I paid for. Now Steam was a step in the right direction when to came to digital distribution (and has some value adding features), but until it has a system more like GoG, I'm not making the jump to any games that are tied to their platform. And once again, Steam did nothing to stop piracy, it just stops the second hand market (which is more of a threat because these people are willing to pay money for your game, unlike most pirates, yet you don't see the money) and allows for statistics tracking (which can then be sold to advertisers, think targeted advertising).

If I was a console gamer (I am, but I prefer PC), I would also be concerned about moves the companies make on PC. Once they proclaim their methods reduced piracy and the market is happy to accept it (usually because they attach it to a big name title which is going to sell anyway and the masses who aren't technically inclined don't know better), consoles will start requiring 24/7 access too. No longer will you be able to head around to your friends house with that game you just bought (cause it will be tied to your console) and the rental market will also be killed. This move is not good for consumers (and as other have pointed out, they erode YOUR rights as a gamer), yet they are currently happy to bend over and take it all in the name of "stopping piracy". Which it doesn't do.

Meanwhile, the pirates will continue to enjoy uninhibited gaming.

Without Steam its becoming increasingly difficult to own PC game software. I have seen the share of the local retail store shrink from dominating the place to being a shadow in a corner in some forgotten place with just classic titles and a smattering of new releases. The used market is cheap because there simply is very little value in an old title on a platform that can easily host piracy. I do not see nearly the same industry in hawking used PC titles as there is for console titles. A single consoles used market dwarfs the PC second hand market.

Ubisoft has a duty as a publicly traded company to only invest in things which it believes will give their shareholders a greater return. So they have an obligation to run the numbers to the point where they believe that if they did X action then Y profit ought to result from it. Furthermore the game industry unlike the music and movie industries has embraced digital distribution wherever applicable. Whats good for the industry is good for the gamer. If piracy cannot be controlled then the big publishers will continue to retreat from releasing content day and date with console releases for fear that if they release at the same time people will simply pirate the games on the consoles.

Currently on a console I can go around to your house, log into my account and download content already bought. Or on the PS3 I can share content with you for free. I doubt they would want to kill the rental market. Digital digistribution makes rental much more feasable as well as episodic gaming where you can download a part if you're unsure of the quality of the whole.

Around the Network
WilliamWatts said:

Without Steam its becoming increasingly difficult to own PC game software. I have seen the share of the local retail store shrink from dominating the place to being a shadow in a corner in some forgotten place with just classic titles and a smattering of new releases. The used market is cheap because there simply is very little value in an old title on a platform that can easily host piracy. I do not see nearly the same industry in hawking used PC titles as there is for console titles. A single consoles used market dwarfs the PC second hand market.

Ubisoft has a duty as a publicly traded company to only invest in things which it believes will give their shareholders a greater return. So they have an obligation to run the numbers to the point where they believe that if they did X action then Y profit ought to result from it. Furthermore the game industry unlike the music and movie industries has embraced digital distribution wherever applicable. Whats good for the industry is good for the gamer. If piracy cannot be controlled then the big publishers will continue to retreat from releasing content day and date with console releases for fear that if they release at the same time people will simply pirate the games on the consoles.

Currently on a console I can go around to your house, log into my account and download content already bought. Or on the PS3 I can share content with you for free. I doubt they would want to kill the rental market. Digital digistribution makes rental much more feasable as well as episodic gaming where you can download a part if you're unsure of the quality of the whole.

This will be my last post for the same reasons as Khuutra. But before I go I want to comment on the bit I've highlighted; Either you're an industry shill, or one of the most ignorant people on the planet.

The only way the game industry can eliminate piracy is to promote Onlive and eventually have somehing like that be the only option. No way to pirate the game when it's running on a remote server (as long as they can prevent insiders from leaking games out).

Anything else is just a counter-productive waste of time and money, which annoys customers and creates animosity.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

When EA was messing around with their DRM, I stopped buying their games, completely.
Now, Ubisoft starting this crap, I will again, vote with my wallet.

I've actually came to like Ubisoft for the last 2 years and I have equivalent of their titles as Nintendo's.

I will stop buying any of their games if they try to push this DRM junk on us.

wow you be soft is going hard on pc gamers WTF

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

Around the Network

dude I set up my own wow server (nothing illegal, I even had a paid subscription at the time) on the same computer I played it once... and I didn't have to do much to get it running.
Just wanted to see the hidden stuff in the game like the illidan blades and such... and singlehandedly wipe instances clean :p

There is nothing complicated in tricking a program into connecting to a virtual server or to set up that virtual server...

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

lol this isnt the first time.

Ubisoft's original prince of persia would not play for me because nero installed an imaginary drive.

It said that the game will not launch cause it detected an imaginary drive.

So guess what I did? I downloaded a hacked patch and patched a LEGIT game. how fucking lame.

Cobretti2 said:
lol this isnt the first time.

Ubisoft's original prince of persia would not play for me because nero installed an imaginary drive.

It said that the game will not launch cause it detected an imaginary drive.

So guess what I did? I downloaded a hacked patch and patched a LEGIT game. how fucking lame.

Reminds me of when I tried to play F.E.A.R and it wouldn't run because I was trying to play it in my burner drive.

Galaki said:
When EA was messing around with their DRM, I stopped buying their games, completely.
Now, Ubisoft starting this crap, I will again, vote with my wallet.

I've actually came to like Ubisoft for the last 2 years and I have equivalent of their titles as Nintendo's.

I will stop buying any of their games if they try to push this DRM junk on us.

I took it one step further. I just don't buy PC games at all anymore. It's too much damn work to keep track of which PC publishers put malware DRM in their games and I just don't want to bother with it. I check out PC games in the store and say to myself, "This game looks pretty interesting, but I have no idea if it will rootkit my computer or tell me to screw myself the third time I go to install it. Let's move on to the console section."

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

I won't read that, can someone give me a summary?