By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So I was spot on with my heavy rain Edge review prediction!! next up....

In regards to Heavy Rain, I tried the demo yesterday, and I absolutely loved it. I also loved Indigo Prophecy, for the record.

Anyways, I love the atmosphere and style, and it just oozes with cinematic quality. But... I did find it to be a bit tedious at times. It's essentially a must own for me once I get a PS3, but its a very unique game. I'd imagine it will have its faults, as evidenced by the demo. Just like pretty much every new IP this has (Mass Effect, Gears of War, Too Human wera all incredibly flawed in their first iterations). I expect as much from Heavy Rain, but we'll see how that pans out.

Around the Network
Nebulous said:
Tuganuno said:
God of War (PS2): Metacritic - 94; Edge - 80
God of War II (PS2): Metacritic - 93; Edge - 70
God of War: Chains of Olympus (PSP) : Metacritic - 91; Edge - 70

Bayonetta (360 version): Metacritic - 91; Edge - 100

I think we all agree on Edge giving the lowest score on Metacritic to GoW III... An 8/10 if it gets a score higher than 95 on metacritic, otherwise it will be 7/10 for sure.

Ha, and the reason for this is pretty obvious...most journamists likely aren't that great at action games, and likely don't compare them at a high level. To appreciate how substantially better a game like Ninja Gaiden's combat system and AI is, you have to put in some dedication. Something most journalists on a time constraint don't have.

Having said that, EDGE is easily the most respectable reviewer of action games, in my opinion. They give credit where credit is due. God of War has amazing visual presentation, but the core gameplay is severely lacking comparitively. Understand that Ninja Gaiden's combat system is essentially the masterwork of a team who has been making action/ fighting game's for well over a decade. God of War aped most of their elenments from Ninja Gaiden, and made the game more acessable. But it also dumbed down the AI, and offered a shallow impercise combat system, and the QTE gimmick in its abcense. Also, God of War's story is mediocre as well, so a critical eye would easily catch that as not necisarily an amazing point either.

Bayonetta on the other hand, has risen to the challenge, and amazingly, offered a comparable combat system to Ninja Gaiden II, while also offering up a healthy dose of insanity, and amazing presentation seen in God of War, while surpassing both by innovating on top of that (wall walking, amazingly percise controls, dodging out of every single animation on-ground or in the air), offering a substantial and incredibly polished capaign, large enemy veriety, amazing boss fights, and tons of extras, and unlockables that significantly enhance the replayability of the game.

Anyways, I'm sure, just like the previous God of War's, GOWIII will be immensely popular, and recieve amazing reviews. But there's a good reason experienced action-game fans/critics pretty much universally consider the series lower-tier than the Devil May Cry's, Ninja Gaidens, and Bayonettas. Luckily for us nerds, at least one publication puts in enough effort to see this as well.

So what you're pretty much saying is, 1 review is right, and 99 other reviews are wrong.. and the worst thing is that you're saying Edge is the right one lol Well, it's been proved that Edge is, at the very minimum, slightly biased to the 360, and notice how I used the word "minimum" before "slightly".

I'm not saying you're wrong, you do have a point, a review of someone experient, oh let's say on FPS, will be completely different of someone who often reviews racing games - it's logic. However, we aren't talking about rookies in Hack 'n' Slash, there are lots of respectful reviewers giving 90s and 100s to God of War. You also mentioned the time factor, but for example, I remember that Konami forbade all reviewers to tell MGS4's ending, and you can't obviously make a review about MGS4 without ending it, at least once, first. Well, Edge still gave it a 8/10, and it got a 94 overall. IGN, Gamespot, TheSixthAxis, etc.. gave it a 10/10. It's ok to have diversity on reviews, so we see different points of view, but if each magazine has its own way to score games (an 6 on Edge is a 10 on IGN, a 9 on Gamespot is a 7 on vgchartz.. hypothetically speaking), then metacritic will be completely useless, and we will have big problems to compare games on an objective way.

Ninja Gaiden and God of War are two very different games, at least in my opinion, but if you still want to compare them, God of War beats it in many, many ways: the bosses, the main character, the weapons, the graphics, the puzzles, the whole environment and the plot, just make it a much more fun and entertaining game. I like Ninja Gaiden, but I prefer God of War, by far. I only played Bayonetta for the PS3, and we all know how "good" that version is so.. I'll just talk about Ninja Gaiden and God of War.

who cares

Well done. I don't need to eat crow on my review score predicitons because I predicted a 5 or a 9, and the average of 5 and 9 is 7. Therefore I predicted 7 too.

for GoW III, if those GoW I & II reviews from Edge are correct then I can't see GoW III getting any higher. 7 or less it is then.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Adobo said:
who cares

You care enough to hit reply, type a response an dhit submit.

On topic though, the awful thing about EDGE is there no consistancy, they give LBP a 100 and then the afore mentioned God of War scores...the only place i seem to agree 9/10 times with is gametrailers at this point.

Around the Network

@ Nebulous: Excellent write up on why Gow's combat is substandard compared to DMC, NG and Bayonetta, even Jaffe admited to it (in a drunken stupor of course, but still).

Im going to go with a 6 because they are damned if they do and damned if they don't so may as well get some hits.

Tease.

I like Reviews on the Run's take on Bayonetta
GoW has tactics and style involved and you need to use your surrounding like walls to get by.

Bayonetta doesn't try to be a philosophical movie game just a simply fun hack'n slash

I'm positive Bayonetta is not even going to come close to GoW.

Have people seen the fact that you start the game fight off the back on a Titan.
It can only go bigger from there.

"Rainbird: Why don't Nintendo and Microsoft Copy the Sony Blog?

Bagenome:You can't shoot things on a blog, and babies can't read, so I don't think it would suit either one's target audience."

d21lewis said:
Honestly, do JRPG makers even realize how hard it is to save the world? That shit is impossible!

A 7. Because it has no online, and lacks a bit of innovation.

Well I bet that's how they are going to see it.

ok... you predicted a number.... you called "7" out of the possible 3 numbers: 7, 8, 9 . Seriously 10 was out of the question (it's Edge, and it was not Bayonetta, or had Halo on the title)

so 1 out of 3 doesn't exactly make you a visionary....