By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official January 2010 NPD Thread (Data = 4 weeks ending Jan 30)

Mass effect: overtracked by 100k
NSMBWii: undertracked by 100k
Wii Fit + undertracked by 150k
Mario Kart Wii undertracked by 200k
Darksiders overtracked by 150k

some of these differences are huge.

Around the Network
Lucas-Rio said:

Funny thing is that most people scream that Vg is always overtracking wii games, and undertrackinh HD games

Neos said:

EPIC.  The funniest thing is when it shoves nothing into its mouth.

Microsoft has responded to tonight’s NPD figures, and called it “a great kick off for what is slated to be the biggest – and best – year in Xbox history”.

Starting with Mass Effect 2 taking the number 2 spot on the software charts with 572K units sold for Xbox 360, Modern Warfare sold 326K units on 360, Darksiders 171K, and Army of Two: The 40th Day moved 171K units on the system.

According to our math, that’s 1316.5K units of software sold for Xbox 360.

Here are some more figures from Microsoft:

* US installed base lead over the PS3 by nearly eight million units.
* With January 2010 console sales topping 333K units in the US, contributing to $313 million in total spend on Xbox 360 hardware, software and accessories last month.
* Consumers spent more than $158 million on Xbox 360 games alone last month, driving our industry-leading software attach rate of 8.8.
* In January 2010, Xbox 360 owners spent $150.5 million on third-party games, more than competing next-generation consoles.
* The Xbox LIVE community now tops 23 million, making it the biggest social network connected to the TV.
* Additionally, 2.3 million Xbox LIVE members set a record last month, marking the most concurrent users online at any given time and reaffirming Nielsen’s findings that Xbox 360 is the most-used console on the market.

Microsoft also chatted about it’s X10 event tonight, which we have covered extensively for you.

The response also said Crackdown 2 was slated for June. There ya go, kiddos.

Lucas-Rio said:

VGC is all America and canada NPD is just north America.

edit: oh I thought they all said overtracked. That doesn't explain the undertracked.

Around the Network

Crackdown 2 for June. Sweetness.

What's this talk about Wii shortages? I don't buy it, VGC couldn't have completely missed them.
I believe like TheSource that NPD is doing stealth adjustments again.

Fantastic month for X360. Up YoY despite no real price drop.

Slimebeast said:
What's this talk about Wii shortages? I don't buy it, VGC couldn't have completely missed them.
I believe like TheSource that NPD is doing stealth adjustments again.

It's well reported at this stage.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Games like UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves are surpassing our lofty expectations as it outsold the franchise’s first PS3 game and is now closing in on three million copies sold worldwide. Over half a million of you have already chosen your allegiance in MAG, and have played over 270,000 games in the Shadow War.

Jack Tretton

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:
Games like UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves are surpassing our lofty expectations as it outsold the franchise’s first PS3 game and is now closing in on three million copies sold worldwide. Over half a million of you have already chosen your allegiance in MAG, and have played over 270,000 games in the Shadow War.

Jack Tretton

Is this an NPD response?

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.