By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Getting a gaming rig. Buy or Build?

Yeah, definately not worth it. Anything longer than 3 years probably isn't going to be of much use to you unless you're kind of anal.

Tease.

Around the Network
Epoch said:
Squilliam said:
Epoch said:
Squilliam said:

Actually Saphire makes almost all Radeon cards. The difference is that one has a factory overclock and whatever differences there are in support, warranty and box contents (aside from the card).

I didn't see any availability for the HD 4890 at that site. The card has been discontinued so its not surprising.

Ah, so the chipsets are basically the same, just some overclock them before you buy them? Then why is XFX 5850 $70 more than some of its competitors? Better warranty and packaging? Seems a bit funny, but Branding is powerful.

Jkimball, I have come to the conclusion that it probably wont be a whole lot cheaper than what I could buy in store, but the components will be better than the ones they use in a lot of the models I have looked at. Hopefully this leads to a longer lifespan. Sadly, the Newegg.ca has very limited pre-built PC options (There are only about 25... total) =/

What I mean is that an ASUS board which looks exactly the same as the HIS board and XFX board were all made by Saphire. Asus etc just stuck their brand on it and there litterally is no difference unless its a non standard board. XFX gives you a 'double lifetime warranty' which means that you and the person who buys it from you is covered forever. So yeah, its just an extended warranty by another name.

Just remember that as a Canadian you're stiffed on pricing, so even if they were available you'd still be stiffed by the same proportion.

Haha thanks for the clarification man, I'm just glad our dollar is similar to the U.S. right now, makes these types of things cheaper.

So maybe the $70 isn't worth it? I'd be satisfied if just I had the lifetime warranty, the next guy can go suck an egg. =P

If you were willing (or able) to buy from the newegg.com website and get a family member/friend/etc. to ship it to you, that would easily save you $200-300.  I don't know how the manufacturer's warranty works when you do this, but I would expect possible issues.

Also having a CAD on near parity with USD doesn't really reflect Canadian goods pricing, only if you purchased from the US with your CAD dollars.  We Canadians always get shafted when it comes to cost of goods.

Are there any good (in other words, OK) Gaming Laptops which are under $1000?
I am looking for something that can play the best looking recent games at least on medium/high and will be able to play future games.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Strategyking92 said:
Are there any good (in other words, OK) Gaming Laptops which are under $1000?
I am looking for something that can play the best looking recent games at least on medium/high and will be able to play future games.

Before you think about getting a gaming laptop, ask yourself how much you'd really play games "on the go." For most people, the reality is probably, "not much."

If you want a PC to take to LAN parties and such, then build a desktop in a Micro-ATX case. Then, if you want a laptop to do laptop stuff on, get a netbook.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Building your own PC does not give you many benefits compared to a bought one, such as warranty.
Althought building one allows you to place in what features you want

That's Gordon Freeman in "Real-Life"

Around the Network

Heres a tip for ur current lappy.. format.. install ubuntu. That will breathe some new life into it!

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Building by far, but only if you are capable of doing so. The newest processors are pretty hard to put into socket for newbies, and you don't wanna screw your new intel (AMD is just no). You will need to have some knowledge about parts if you are about to do it yourself. I myself have been building PCs for years, but since I've lost my touch, I'm having friend choose and build it nowdays.

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

aragod said:
Building by far, but only if you are capable of doing so. The newest processors are pretty hard to put into socket for newbies, and you don't wanna screw your new intel (AMD is just no). You will need to have some knowledge about parts if you are about to do it yourself. I myself have been building PCs for years, but since I've lost my touch, I'm having friend choose and build it nowdays.

Well I didn't know much about PC components when I started this, but now I'm feeling pretty competent.  I've been getting a lot of help from the more knowledgeable users on this site and its made a huge difference.

Heres my latest list, I had to swap some parts because NCIX didn't have the same ones Newegg does.

Corsair TX650W 650W ATX 12V 52A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan                  79.99

G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3     x2                                 222.98     

Intel Core i7 860 Quad Core Processor Lynnfield LGA1156 2.8GHZ                                                        304.99

Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black 1TB SATA2 7200RPM 4.2MS 32MB                                     99.99

ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer OEM Black                                                                 29.99

Logitech S220 2.1 Multimedia PC Speakers Black OEM                                                              31.99

Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 Keyboard & Optical Mouse Set USB OEM                                               25.99

Gigabyte P55A-UD3 ATX LGA1156 P55 DDR3 2PCI-E 2PCI RAID                                                               139.99

Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 725MHZ 1GB 4.0GHZ GDDR5 PCI-E                                                                 284.99

Lian Li PC-8N Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Case 4X5.25 1X3.5 3X3.5INT                                 100.58

Before Tax Total :                      1321.48

NCIX has a price matching feature, so what I've done is scour the Canadian online PC part stores and found the best deals I could and asked NCIX to price match all of them.  After price matching the list is over $200 cheaper than buying straight from NCIX, hopefully they honor it.  Its also cheaper than Newegg.ca by about $80, and I save $60 on shipping because I can pick it up from their store.     

Any Thoughts?  I'm a bit concerned about the RAM, some people have been saying that they have had to bump it up past 1.5V for it be stable, but it could just be their motherboard.

My spontanious though is that that will be a very good computer. Have fun building.

This is invisible text!

Hey guys how do i overclock my CPU?
i have a AMD Phenom (tm) 9750 quad core processor, MMX, 3Dnow, 2.4GHZ

Isit good if i overclock it?

PSN: HienTran2691

XBL: IVietCong