By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Wii is dead. What will Nintendo do?

The Wii isn’t clinically dead yet, but its best days are well behind it. Sales are massively down, and with that so are Nintendo’s profits and their share price. So they must do something soon, not so much for their gaming audience and fanboys, but rather to keep their investors happy.

The Wii was always just Gamecube V1.5, it was not truly a machine of the current generation like the Sony Playstation PS3 and the Microsoft Xbox 360. It lacked the power and it lacked the HD graphics. But to make up for this it was cheaper, it had that breakthrough gesture interface and it had a catalogue of amazing Nintendo first party games that were must haves for any keen gamer.

The problem now is that the Wii no longer looks cheap, the cupboard is pretty bare of first party titles (most third party titles having missed the mark) and the gesture interface is looking old hat compared to what the competition are about to unleash.

Now, the people that run Nintendo are not fools, they know all of this better than I do. So it is obvious that the successor for the Wii is already designed, that the first party studios are working on games for it and that production is just about to start. So the Wii will be discontinued with about 68 million units made, it will be interesting to see if the Xbox 360 can catch up with this figure over the next five years.

The new machine, if Nintendo keep to their previous naming rules, could well be called the Super Wii. Moore’s Law tells us it will be about four times more powerful than the Wii. And the market tells us that it will be HD. Obviously it will be backwards compatible. But this specification, on its own, will not be enough to compete. Nintendo need to do more. Much more.

Satoru Iwata is the president of Nintendo and he has just given an interview that reveals much of their thinking. It is in Japanese but with the magic of Google Translate you can read it here. And he says that HD is not enough, that Nintendo will be doing something new.

Over three years ago I wrote an article in this blog entitled What is Nintendo? That article is just as true now as it was then and mirrors much of Satoru Iwata’s thoughts. The key here is that Nintendo is an entertainment company first and foremost, they are not a hardware or a software company, it is just the entertainment that matters. And they use technology and innovation to provide this entertainment.

So I don’t know what to expect. They know that they need to innovate, so they could do just about anything. The only thing that is for sure is that it will be fun.

http://www.bruceongames.com/2010/02/03/the-wii-is-dead-what-will-nintendo-do/

Around the Network

You should link your source for this article.

doooomeeed

The wi outsold the DS in the last 6 weeks in a row. That hasn't happened regularlly since 2008

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Thank you.

BruceOnGames, huh?

I still can't figure out if he was ever serious

Around the Network

Really another "Wii is doomed" troll thread? why do people hate the wii so much i don't get it, and didn't nintendo just have the best sales period this holiday ever? and the Wii stopping production at 68 million when it's already tracked as having sold almost that many? this is pure fantasy, especially with no cited sources or even realistic reason given for these "assumptions"

Did Bruce see December's results? Did he notice that Wii has been sold out and is suffering shortages since mid-January?

It's funny how the most FUD comes after the most positive results.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

The Wii has been doomed since its launch....

poor Wii.

This article claims that the Wii is doomed but I think there's a good reason why its the #1 console of the geneartion. The Wii is not dead. At this point,the Wii's progress has slowed down due to the fact that they have no huge titles being released right now. The Wii's sales will increase when Super Mario Galaxy is released. Let's not forget, the Wii's biggest exclusive title is set to make its much anticipated released this year if anyone knows what game I'm talking about.

Why would Nintendo stop producing Wii's when it hits 68 Million, it's yet to top 95 Million end of 2011. And it has the software coming this year.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d