By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Well it's official, Mass Effect 2 just bricked my console. What the...

Mendicate Bias said:
1337 Gamer said:
My elite is jan 2007 (its a very early falcon model) since i soldered the DVD drive power cable to the fan power cable the fans constantly run at 12V and ive had absolutely NO issues with E74 or RROD i highly suggest everyone do this if your out of warranty

Wait so what did you do exactly? Did you boost the power to the fans? Does that make the console run a lot louder?

Yeah all i did was take the power cable from the fan plug in and soldered it to a 12V cable running from the DVD drive. (use a voltmeter and check for 12V) and then soldered the fan cable to that DVD drive cable. So now the fans constantly run at 12V and yes it is ALOT louder. I cant even hear the DVD drive spin up over the noise of the fans but its well worth it IMHO. Been running this way for over 2 years and not a single hiccup.

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Around the Network
1337 Gamer said:
Mendicate Bias said:
1337 Gamer said:
My elite is jan 2007 (its a very early falcon model) since i soldered the DVD drive power cable to the fan power cable the fans constantly run at 12V and ive had absolutely NO issues with E74 or RROD i highly suggest everyone do this if your out of warranty

Wait so what did you do exactly? Did you boost the power to the fans? Does that make the console run a lot louder?

Yeah all i did was take the power cable from the fan plug in and soldered it to a 12V cable running from the DVD drive. (use a voltmeter and check for 12V) and then soldered the fan cable to that DVD drive cable. So now the fans constantly run at 12V and yes it is ALOT louder. I cant even hear the DVD drive spin up over the noise of the fans but its well worth it IMHO. Been running this way for over 2 years and not a single hiccup.

Do you think its more effective than adding an external fan? By external I mean the ones that plug into the back of the 360 and draw air out through the vents.

Also when you opened your 360 was there a lot of dust inside? I've been thinking of using the vacuum technique but wasn't sure if it would make a difference.

Ever since the second rrod fix my 360 has been running very smoothly. The only time it ever gets really loud is when I'm running the original Mass Effect. 

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers

Mendicate Bias said:
1337 Gamer said:
Mendicate Bias said:
1337 Gamer said:

Do you think its more effective than adding an external fan? By external I mean the ones that plug into the back of the 360 and draw air out through the vents.

Also when you opened your 360 was there a lot of dust inside? I've been thinking of using the vacuum technique but wasn't sure if it would make a difference.

Ever since the second rrod fix my 360 has been running very smoothly. The only time it ever gets really loud is when I'm running the original Mass Effect. 

Yes its more much more effective than the external fans. I can run my xbox for hours on end and put my hand behind it and it is just as cool as when i started it. Besides the external fans have been proven to be a cause of the RROD.

As for dust there definitely was a little but and i did blow the dust out with compressed air.

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!!