By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - *Developer Or Publisher?*

Depends.

Also, fwiw Retro is "Nintendo".

Around the Network

Test post:

Really, it takes two to tango. The developer usually comes up with the ideas, but those ideas get funded and approved by the publisher, who at least deserves a nod for pulling out the credit card and going along with the developer.

Ideally, the relationship should be like a writer and an editor, or a film director and a film editor. Basically the creative guy comes up with lots of crazy ideas while the more independant critical guy steps back and chops out all the ideas that didn't quite pan out.

It's a team effort, and the team should be stronger together than they are apart. If the creative guy is too strong, the result is self-indulgent and incoherent. If the editor is too strong, the result is a soulless, commercial pop-tart of a product.

Chances are that your favourite book/movie/album/whatever is the result of a really awesome editor keeping a really awesome artist barely in check.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

The Developer does nearly ALL of the work, so why would you give the Publisher most of the credit?

All the Publishers do is pay for marketing and publishing the game, and on rare occasion pay for development.

That's pretty much the same as saying you won't give your favorite band/artist any credit for the album they released because the Label produced it.

Publishers usually don't have that much control over what the Developer is doing anyway, I could give examples, but too lazy.

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

The Developer gets at least 90% of my credit.
I don't know ONE reason why it should be the other way around.

Around the Network

Some publishers take a more active role than others though. Nintendo's pretty notorious for breathing down the necks of devs on external projects.

Regardless on tough Publishers are... the ppl doing the Labor get the credit period.

jarrod said:
Some publishers take a more active role than others though. Nintendo's pretty notorious for breathing down the necks of devs on external projects.

I believe Nintendo is probably one of the only publishers that do that, and I completely understand why they do it. Looking at most Publishers history, all they really do is pay to publish the game for the developer in hopes of making more money.

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

iLLmaticV3 said:
jarrod said:

I believe Nintendo is probably one of the only publishers that do that, and I completely understand why they do it. Looking at most Publishers history, all they really do is pay to publish the game for the developer in hopes of making more money.

Yeah true.  Nintendo's also pretty unique in that their internal projects tend to be entirely developed inhouse, with little to no subcontracting going on.  They're kind of control freaks.

Why not give the developer any credit? their the ones who come up with the ideas and make the game. the publisher just funds their ideas and development of the game and takes care of the advertising. Thats crazy not giving the developer any credit they Develop the game.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website