By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Accordin to this, PS3 has sold 33.5m not 31.7m

Barozi said:
Playingwithfirex said:

I only have one account, and I wouldn't have posted this thread if I wasn't confused about what happened. and I'm not a newcomer either, I made the account in December but I have been using this site as a reference since 2008. When the numbers suddenly drop 2m you can't blame me for being confused. I am also not a fanboy and hope I didn't come off as a fanboy for posting this thread, but it was an honest question. Sorry for being curious.

I'm pretty sure vaio was refeering to that johnyboynogo guy I quoted in my last post.

omg srs, my bad, disregard that post then

2010 Hardware Sales Predictions

Wii: 20m- Sales will drop, but not by much.

PS3: 13.5m- It sold 12m in 2009, its only common sense it will sell more this year.

Xbox 360: 11m- It sold 11m in 2008 and 2009, I think it will sell the same.

My Fanboy Speech...

Why do you have to make excuses to defend a product that you purchased, but that's the only connection you have to it, you don't make it, you don't lose or gain money on it. I don't see where all of the defensiveness comes in, there is no reason for you or anybody else to feel obligated to defend it. Now I would understand if one of you were a developer for the product and you slaved over said product only to hear somebody call it stupid or a piece of junk. But none of you developed it, none of you are mature enough to realize that. Choosing a product all comes down to preference, you chose said product because it is best for you. Simple as that!

Around the Network

I don't know how many times I've said this but I'll say it again. VGchartz does NOT cover everything from everywhere. they only get data from NA, Europe, and Japan.

superbeast1370 said:
I don't know how many times I've said this but I'll say it again. VGchartz does NOT cover everything from everywhere. they only get data from NA, Europe, and Japan.

VGC does cover world wide

Munkeh111 said:
superbeast1370 said:

Depends what 'cover' means. Don't VGC only get sample data from NA, EU and JPN and use it to estimate the rest?

Munkeh111 said:
superbeast1370 said:

VGChartz covers worldwide, but the data it gets only covers North America, Europe, and Japan. The rest of the world is estimated.

Still though that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Around the Network

I believe somewhere there's a extra million of ps3 NOT sitting on shelves, ioi just needs to figure out where exactly :p

Playingwithfirex said:
Barozi said:
Playingwithfirex said:

I only have one account, and I wouldn't have posted this thread if I wasn't confused about what happened. and I'm not a newcomer either, I made the account in December but I have been using this site as a reference since 2008. When the numbers suddenly drop 2m you can't blame me for being confused. I am also not a fanboy and hope I didn't come off as a fanboy for posting this thread, but it was an honest question. Sorry for being curious.

I'm pretty sure vaio was refeering to that johnyboynogo guy I quoted in my last post.

omg srs, my bad, disregard that post then

yeas i was refering to that blahblah nogo guy and not at you.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Munkeh111 said:
The more interesting thin is that the lead for the 360 in terms of shipped is about 5.2m and sold it is 5.7m. The PS3 has shipped 33.5m and the 360 shipped 38.7m

So have Sony been channel stuffing? Or one of them them wrongly tracked?

The more relevant figure is what they had sold as of 2nd January:
PS3 30.9m
360 37.0m

So apparently, there are 2.6m PS3s on shelves and 1.7m 360s. I think ioi was right the first time. Or do they measure these figures differently in some way?

Potentially two things.  One, there are always bigger differences in sold to shipped in the holiday quarter.  Take a look at DS shipped compared to sold and you'll see quite a difference as well.  Think it iis about 2 million as well.  Same for 360 as you mentioned. But we could probably attribute the other part to potential stuffing of the market.  Something Sony has been doing with the PSP but maybe a little bit with the PS3 this time.  Now I know whne that is mentioned, it is usually taken as a negative term, but companies do it with retailers all the time so don't take it negatively.

For reference, the most extreme case of this was back with the 360 at the end of 2006.  MS had a goal of hitting 10 million and they achieved it but through stuffing the market.  At the end of 2006 they had shipped 10.4 million 360s and we have sales at 6.71 million.  Of course it was very easy to tell that they did it because over the next 2 quarters (or 6 months) MS only shipped 1.2 milllion 360s or actually 600k per quarter. 

Could have had something similar with Ps3 but won't know until we see this quarter's shipments.  But, companies do it all the time to hit their projections. 

We should have a line on the frontpage, in the biggest font available, saying, WE TRACK SALES TO CONSUMERS, NOT SHIPPED.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

I doubt that would help

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.