By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Worldwide up

Total:0

theyll cut it around wen natal and reach launch still was ahead in time so no ps3>360 for quite some time now yes it will outsell it but thats wat gt5 is for to try and counter act it i believe thats 1 reason why they delayed gt5 to the fall time

Play Me

Around the Network

Good sales for all, except PSP, for the season. After that huge adjustment, though, it will take some time to PS3 to actually fill the gap we thought it had already filled...

PSP small WW, big in Japan... This sets you thinking... Considering average dimensions... Does PSP perchance mean penis?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

PS3 wins again in HD console battle, no surprise here. Congrats to Sony.

Good news for the 360 too which finally managed to beat the PSP to avoid the last place. It still needed a major release (MAss Effect 2) so don't get your hopes too high for next week.

mario64 said:

Good news for the 360 too which finally managed to beat the PSP to avoid the last place. It still needed a major release (MAss Effect 2) so don't get your hopes too high for next week.

Didn't the PSP need an even more major release in Kingdom Hearts?

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

MAG is not a big commercial releast at all, had it gotten 90+ reviews sure.. but the core gaming audience or most of it ignored the game, because of its lack luster reviews.

MASS EFFECT 2 on the other hand, received huge reviews, and the core audience bought into it.

So ME2 clearly boosted 360 hardware, selling almost a million world wide, is an impressive feat for any game in a week.

mM
Around the Network
Twistedpixel said:
mario64 said:

Didn't the PSP need an even more major release in Kingdom Hearts?

Yeah, PSP's had 3 pretty big releases in the past 2 months (Phantasy Star 2, Gundam Vs Gundam Plus, Kingdom Hearts BBS) that have been pushing it hard in Japan.  It's getting Gode Eater soon, and MGS in the spring, so it'll be rebounding here and there.

The platform's walking dead everywhere else though.

jarrod said:
makingmusic476 said:

Not worldwide, but in North America specifically God of War performs better than Metal Gear Solid, and in North America MGS caused ps3 sales to spike 212% the week of its release.

MGS4 also came out almost 2 years ago, and wasn't following any significant releases in the same genre.

How many PS3s had sold before MGS4 came out?  Dont people realize that the larger the install base the smaller the impact a game makes on hardware sales.  The 360, the Wii and the PS3 are all past the stage where an individual game will make a big impact.  Lack of software will make an impact, but a single title wont make any signifigant long term impact.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

BHR-3 said:
theyll cut it around wen natal and reach launch still was ahead in time so no ps3>360 for quite some time now yes it will outsell it but thats wat gt5 is for to try and counter act it i believe thats 1 reason why they delayed gt5 to the fall time

That makes no sense.  If you want to stop people from buying a Natal you get them to purchase a PS3 as soon as possible. You also have the added benefit of more time to sell more software to that person.  You get the sale as soon as you can because you never know what could change someones mind.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

thx1139 said:
binary solo said:
peachbuggy said:
CGI-Quality said:
peachbuggy said:
Then, if a large amount of FF fans already have purchased a PS3 then surely the HW bump won't be as noticeable?

It'll be a spike, perhaps 20-40,000. Nothing earth-shattering, like GT5's will be in Europe, or perhaps God of War III's in NA.

OK. That seems reasonable. So not a massive system seller, just a small system pusher really? I was only asking because iirc, the Source said there would be very few system sellers to come out for the rest of this gen. I think it was not long after the slim launch but i could be wrong!

The Source did say that the FF brand had blown it's HW selling load in Japan earlier in 2009 with that FFVII movie release with FFXIII demo. Well we know that was a tad off base. Of course FFXIII sales outside Japan are going to be nothing like the were in Japan. The Americas pre-order chart is showing decent but not spectacular numbers, and the HW boost will be in proportion to the SW. In Japan about 1% of FFXIII buyers also bought a PS3 on the same day, it's reasonable to expect the same to happen in the rest of the world. So, it all depends on how much software the FFXIII brand will push.

Overall I agree with the source, there really aren't any more games coming for the rest of the generation that will lead to a long term upward shift in the sales of a console. I reckon even GT5 will only push HW for a relatively short period (again people saying GT5P has brought in a large number of the GT punters already).

GoW III will spike HW by a decent amount as pretty much the last highly acclaimed IP to come over from PS2 to PS3 (GoW collection doesn't count because almost no one was going to buy a PS3 just to play a game they've already played, no matter how much tweeking it got). Unless Jak 4 comes along some time; I can live in hope. I reckon Jak 4 could serve to get some PS2 -> Wii  folks to get on board with PS3.

Only thing is GoW period has never been a huge seller just like its genre.  Then factor in that a lot of the people that like its genre and were PS fans have picked up a PS3 already. Finally factor in people that are fans of the beatem up genre may have picked up a PS3 for either of the Ninja Gaiden Sigmas, DMC4 or Bayonetta/. This all leads to not much of a bump with hardware.

Like I already said: Isn't that a very similar argument to the one the Source used to say FFXIII  wouldn't spike HW in Japan by much? People bought a PS3 FOR Bayonetta? Is that a serious argument? I think a decent spike would be 40-50K, I think GoW III can safely manage that.

None of the games you mention have come close to selling as much as GoW II (forget about GoW I), closest is DMC at about 65% of GoW II. But GoW fans are not one trick ponies so the current PS3 owning user base can't just be based on sales of those games, I'm in the GoW user base, I have a PS3, and I don't have any of those games. The fact that these same genre games have failed to get even close to GoW II sales levels could imply that some GoW fans went with the 360 for those games. After all, there are a lot of people who went from PS2 to 360, some of them will be GoW fans, and some of them will buy a PS3 for GoW III. There are a decent number of people who went from PS2 to Wii, some of them will be GoW fans and some of them will buy a PS3 for GoW III.

I'm not claiming it will be a system seller, it's not, but I'm confident it can spike the HW sales, possibly second only (in 2010 on PS3) to the HW push that GT5 will give. I can certainly see GoW III spiking hardware more than FF XIII.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Mass Effect 2 is a sequel to a new IP, its not going to move a lot of consoles. But I'm suprised to see Microsoft is still doing so well. Japan really made the PS3 look better, but that is a market Microsoft will never beat them on. But Europe is a suprise, at this rate it will take a little longer for Sony to beat MS in Europe. Before they corrected the numbers Sony had already done that and with its current sales it seemed they were going to blow MS out of the market. Now it seems that Europe will remain undecided, only thing that could really change it is if the Arc or Natal becomes a succes.