By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Toriyama explains reasons for Final Fantasy XIII linearity.

In an interview in Ultimania magazine, both Motomu Toriyama and Yoshinori Kitase, respectively the Director and Producer of the highly anticipated Final Fantasy XIII title from Square Enix, discuss the reasons behind the linearity of the title.

In response to a question relating to such factor, which has been a noted criticism of the game in recent reviews, Toriyama responds “We made the map and battles function as part of the story, so that players get the same feeling as the characters. To achieve this, we wanted the story to progress non-stop [in a linear fashion], until Chapter X*.”

The interviewer then asks as to why Final Fantasy XIII has fewer towns compared to previous titles in the story, and whether this relates to seeking a ‘non-stop’ story, to which Toriyama explains “Yes, it is one of the reasons, but more importantly, it is a result of considering HD graphics will be the mainstream. Considering the amount of work to make graphics that deserve HD, it is hard to make towns in the conventional style.”

He continues “In the limited period of development time, to convey the the great story that deserves the name of Final Fantasy, and to convey the battles that entertain players enough, we condensed each element.”

*Chapter number removed as to prevent potential spoilers.

http://www.thelostgamer.com/2010/02/03/toriyama-explains-reasons-for-final-fantasy-xiii-linearity/

Around the Network

I though you were talking about Akira Toriyama

limited period of development time? IE 5 years?

Good. Story progression > side quests during every stage of the game. Leave that for the end!

Thanks god i didnt want to buy this game, linear RPG sounds like utter crap to me, ill stick my pokemon games

Nintendo is the best videogames company ever!

Around the Network

This is what he really said

"Is not a Rail-RPG, its a guided RPG experience, which is like a RPG were you cant get lost, ergo we can stick more boring cutscenes to the game and its retards proof!!"

Nintendo is the best videogames company ever!

I have no problem with Linearity as long as they do it right and from the looks of it despite the linearity the game still takes a shit long time to finish and looks like a good game. So good enough for me.

Basically the next FF will have all the towns and such people are used to because they just did not have the time and tools for it on this one.

Well, when we play it we will know if the linearity was well executed in the game. Making this game linear doesnt make it bad if its done well.

elmerion said:
Thanks god i didnt want to buy this game, linear RPG sounds like utter crap to me, ill stick my pokemon games

JRPGs are generally linear, minus side-quests.  Why is this seen as a big deal?