By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Weekly PC Digital Charts - Mass Effect 2 sales go beyond

Well, don't forget the Mass Effect didn't come to Steam till IIRC about 6 months after it was released.

Where as Mass Effect 2 was neither 6 months late being released for PC, nor 6 months late being released on Steam - and in fact had a preorder bonus exclusive to Steam as well.

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89
Around the Network
mrstickball said:
shio said:
mrstickball said:
Onyxmeth said:

It couldn't outsell Battlefield BC 2 preorders on Steam? It couldn't outsell a bunch of games I've never even heard of on Impulse? How exactly is this suggesting that it will be a huge seller on PC? 2 out of the 3 lists don't suggest it being a big deal at all, and the vast difference between the D2D and Steam buying habits suggests to me these lists aren't worth a damn to determine sales.

Its because shio loves to make stuff up :-p

But in all seriousness: Impulse is primarily designed for Stardock games, not 3rd party games. D2D and Steam are where the sales are, as they control 80% of DD market share between them.

Mass Effect sold ~60-70k on Steam, so I am unsure how high these numbers are for ME2 right now. Dragon Age sold about 90k on Steam, so I doubt that ME2 will sell a whole league better.

Where did you get the ME and DA figures from Steam?

EDIT: About BF:BC2, Steam has big Shooter audience there, no doubt because of all Valve games being available only on Steam (and MW2). It's not that surprising that a game from a huge shooter franchise on PC is doing so well there,

www.fadellc.com

They have reports for Steam now.

There's nothing on that link.

Anyway, didn't Dragon Age peak at almost 20k? Almost as much as Empire: Total War, and we know that Empire sold 830k in just 3 weeks. And it's weird that a game that peaks 20k in concurrent users only sold 90k, which is totally disproportionate than the norm (especially since a single-player game).

www.fadellc.com

Anyway, didn't Dragon Age peak at almost 20k? Almost as much as Empire: Total War, and we know that Empire sold 830k in just 3 weeks. And it's weird that a game that peaks 20k in concurrent users only sold 90k, which is totally disproportionate than the norm (especially since a single-player game).

http://fadellc.com/new/steam.html

There is a big picture on the front page of the site that says 'Steam'

Do you have a point of reference that says that Empire: Total War sold 830k on Steam? Also, when did Dragon Age peak at 20k? All I see are numbers on Steam that show where it is now - 1,700 players.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

gah...

I'll just link to the picture I wanted to post (double facepalm):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/detroitchris/3495258593/

Current Favorites:
Wii - Muramasa, MH3, Metroid Trilogy, RS2, Okami, RE4, COD, Dead Space, Scarface
PC - L4D, TF2, BFBC2, Killing Floor, Aquaria, Warsow, many UDK indie games
Mods - MechWarrior:Living Legends, Star Wars: Galatic Warfare, PVKII, Goldeneye Source, L4D mods
PS3 - Demon Souls, Way of the Samurai 3
Social Modding Club: ModDb | Steam

mrstickball said:

www.fadellc.com

Do you have a point of reference that says that Empire: Total War sold 830k on Steam? Also, when did Dragon Age peak at 20k? All I see are numbers on Steam that show where it is now - 1,700 players.

Dragon Age peaked right after release, like all games, so of course they're nowhere near their peak now. Yes, DA peaked at 17k or 18k (maybe even 19k) on it's release week.

As for Empire: Total War, all copies are steam-integrated, including the retail copies and the ones in other digital stores like D2D. That means all copies sold of Empire show up on steam stats, although those 830k sold are only shipped numbers I think. Anyway, thinking again, Empire probably peaked over 30k concurrent users, not 20k.

I saw the Steam logo from your link, but they aren't showing any info regarding Steam.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:

Right now, iPhone games > Steam (in tems of revenue)

If thats true that quite impressive for the Appstore games..  they have a larger userbase but their games are much cheaper..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

mrstickball said:

Steam user poll. FADE built a system that polls over 5 million Steam users about the games they own.

How many own Mass Effect? 63,000. How many own Half Life 2? 1,943,000.

When the top-10 list comes out for best-selling titles on Steam, it'll look like this:

• Counterstrike
  • Half Life 2
  • Half Life mod
  • Half Life mod
  • Left 4 Dead
  • Modern Warfare 2
  • Half Life mod
  • Half Life mod
  • Left 4 Dead 2
  • Everything else

Steam sales for 3rd party games is not all its cracked up to be. There are some great ones (MW2, Empire: Total War, Warhammer 2), but ~50% of Steam revenue is generated by Valve products. Yes, its getting better, but its no where near what shio makes it up to be.

Excellent, thanks.

NiKKoM said:
mrstickball said:

If thats true that quite impressive for the Appstore games..  they have a larger userbase but their games are much cheaper..

Perhaps, but they probably cost 1% as much to make as well.

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89
shio said:
mrstickball said:

www.fadellc.com

Dragon Age peaked right after release, like all games, so of course they're nowhere near their peak now. Yes, DA peaked at 17k or 18k (maybe even 19k) on it's release week.

As for Empire: Total War, all copies are steam-integrated, including the retail copies and the ones in other digital stores like D2D. That means all copies sold of Empire show up on steam stats, although those 830k sold are only shipped numbers I think. Anyway, thinking again, Empire probably peaked over 30k concurrent users, not 20k.

I saw the Steam logo from your link, but they aren't showing any info regarding Steam.

Ah, thank you.

That explains it pretty easily then. Why are you quoting PC sales on a Steam discussion? I am talking about Steam users only. Not Steam verifications, but copies actually downloaded by people on Steam. Data isn't tracked by FADE for users merely validating their copies on Steam. Its for people that download & play on Steam itself.

And the site won't show Steam data - Steam data is paid ala NPD charts. I'm just saying that is where the data is coming from.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I pre ordered mine way before that, and so did a lot of others, so that number on steam is mehmehmeh.