By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Weekly PC Digital Charts - Mass Effect 2 sales go beyond

Onyxmeth said:

It couldn't outsell Battlefield BC 2 preorders on Steam? It couldn't outsell a bunch of games I've never even heard of on Impulse? How exactly is this suggesting that it will be a huge seller on PC? 2 out of the 3 lists don't suggest it being a big deal at all, and the vast difference between the D2D and Steam buying habits suggests to me these lists aren't worth a damn to determine sales.

Its because shio loves to make stuff up :-p

But in all seriousness: Impulse is primarily designed for Stardock games, not 3rd party games. D2D and Steam are where the sales are, as they control 80% of DD market share between them.

Mass Effect sold ~60-70k on Steam, so I am unsure how high these numbers are for ME2 right now. Dragon Age sold about 90k on Steam, so I doubt that ME2 will sell a whole league better.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Onyxmeth said:

It couldn't outsell Battlefield BC 2 preorders on Steam? It couldn't outsell a bunch of games I've never even heard of on Impulse? How exactly is this suggesting that it will be a huge seller on PC? 2 out of the 3 lists don't suggest it being a big deal at all, and the vast difference between the D2D and Steam buying habits suggests to me these lists aren't worth a damn to determine sales.

But in all seriousness: Impulse is primarily designed for Stardock games, not 3rd party games. D2D and Steam are where the sales are, as they control 80% of DD market share between them.

Mass Effect sold ~60-70k on Steam, so I am unsure how high these numbers are for ME2 right now. Dragon Age sold about 90k on Steam, so I doubt that ME2 will sell a whole league better.

Where did you get the ME and DA figures from Steam?

EDIT: About BF:BC2, Steam has big Shooter audience there, no doubt because of all Valve games being available only on Steam (and MW2). It's not that surprising that a game from a huge shooter franchise on PC is doing so well there,

shio said:
mrstickball said:
Onyxmeth said:

Where did you get the ME and DA figures from Steam?

EDIT: About BF:BC2, Steam has big Shooter audience there, no doubt because of all Valve games being available only on Steam (and MW2). It's not that surprising that a game from a huge shooter franchise on PC is doing so well there,

www.fadellc.com

They have reports for Steam now.

Do you have any more Steam figures to hand? The only figures I've seen are http://dev.zr40.nl/steam/games, which covers the 40% or so of Steam users that have set up their community profiles.

There will be an article on VGC and other sites in the near future with Steam numbers. Its a bit more complete than that website, Foamer, as they have data for ~1,000 Steam games.

Around the Network

OK, ta. Yeah, the link there only has figures for games with Steam achievements and only covers those people who have set up a profile page. Still quite interesting, I suppose.

Onyxmeth said:

I don't mean to be rude, but the games at the top of the Impulse list are very popular games.  I would actually suggest you take a look because you are missing out on some impressive PC games.

CommonMan said:
What does the Digital Deluxe Edition get for extras?
  • The full version of Mass Effect 2
  • Collector Armor and Assault Rifle
  • Incisor Rifle
  • Original Soundtrack
  • Digital Art Book
  • Digital Mass Effect Redemption #1 by Dark Horse comics
  • Documentary Video
  • Limited Edition Cerberus Network card granting access to bonus content

http://masseffect.bioware.com/info/digital/

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

mrstickball said:
Onyxmeth said:

Wow, that seems kinda low.  How are you estimating Steam sales?

Also,  PC gaming revenue is rising due to a large increase in casual gaming from companies such as Zynga.  It is not due to a growth in the core pc gamer sector.

JaggedSac said:
mrstickball said:
Onyxmeth said:

Wow, that seems kinda low.  How are you estimating Steam sales?

Also,  PC gaming revenue is rising due to a large increase in casual gaming from companies such as Zynga.  It is not due to a growth in the core pc gamer sector.

Steam user poll. FADE built a system that polls over 5 million Steam users about the games they own.

How many own Mass Effect? 63,000. How many own Half Life 2? 1,943,000.

When the top-10 list comes out for best-selling titles on Steam, it'll look like this:

• Counterstrike
  • Half Life 2
  • Half Life mod
  • Half Life mod
  • Left 4 Dead
  • Modern Warfare 2
  • Half Life mod
  • Half Life mod
  • Left 4 Dead 2
  • Everything else

Steam sales for 3rd party games is not all its cracked up to be. There are some great ones (MW2, Empire: Total War, Warhammer 2), but ~50% of Steam revenue is generated by Valve products. Yes, its getting better, but its no where near what shio makes it up to be.

Right now, iPhone games > Steam (in tems of revenue)