By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best underrated hidden gems ofJRPG's? On PS4/NS

 

Tales of Arise is the best JRPG?

Yes 3 16.67%
 
No 13 72.22%
 
No opinion 2 11.11%
 
Total:18

There are soooo many and it's hard to tell which to choose. What are some good suggestions and the PS4 or Nintendo switch?

I came off Tales of Arise and got a serious JRPG hunger. The only game that comes close is FF14 online and I don't wanna waste hundreds of hours with that game as it becomes an addiction. I'm also not a fan of very old school turn bases combat and hate random encounters but if a game is good enough like Peraona 5 or Octopath, this doesn't apply as a rule. 

Games I already tried and have yet to hook me:

Ys 8,

Eiyden Chronicle Rising,

13 Sentinals Aegis Rim,

Diofeild Chronicles,

Romance of the 3 Kingdoms,

Dragon quest 11,

Judgement,

Xenoblade. 

I love /enjoyed:

Ff14 online

FF15

Astral chain 

Persona 5

Bloodborne/ souls

I am Setsuna

Octopath

Yakuza 0

Nioh

Ace attorney

Last edited by LegitHyperbole - on 29 May 2024

Around the Network

Haven't tried it myself (no time at all for it), but you may like Star Ocean: The Divine Force, since shares Action RPG elements with Tales.



Zarkho said:

Haven't tried it myself (no time at all for it), but you may like Star Ocean: The Divine Force, since shares Action RPG elements with Tales.

Oh, that one foes look good. Thank you. I tried the Star Ocean remake thing (Second story or something) but was put off by the combat, this one looks like a more entertaining game in that aspect. 

Do you know any that is similar two Fire Emblem three houses?



There's Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition, a significantly better Tales game than Arise if you ask me. The age of the original does show a little bit but not as much as say Tales of Symphonia (an even better Tales game if you ask me). I'm assuming you're looking for at least semi-new stuff based on the games you mentioned, though even older Tales games have pretty great real time combat.



Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:

There's Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition, a significantly better Tales game than Arise if you ask me. The age of the original does show a little bit but not as much as say Tales of Symphonia (an even better Tales game if you ask me). I'm assuming you're looking for at least semi-new stuff based on the games you mentioned, though even older Tales games have pretty great real time combat.

I was thinking about Berseria. Is Vesperia real time combat? And how long does it take to get in the groove and hook you?



Around the Network

Arise is pretty mid. I enjoyed it for what it was but it's pretty average. Scarlet Nexus is a much better game. Vesperia is the best Tales game. Legit an excellent game. Tales series is generally from bad to eh okay but Vesperia was legit fantastic. Star Ocean Divine Force is the best SO game since 2. However, it has issues. It's a pretty good game.

Last edited by Leynos - on 29 May 2024

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

More than half the games you mention are already better than Arise imo. Try Berseria/Vesperia, might be right up your alley.



If you didn't play it for PS3 then I recommend Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Remastered for PS4 or NS.



LegitHyperbole said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

There's Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition, a significantly better Tales game than Arise if you ask me. The age of the original does show a little bit but not as much as say Tales of Symphonia (an even better Tales game if you ask me). I'm assuming you're looking for at least semi-new stuff based on the games you mentioned, though even older Tales games have pretty great real time combat.

I was thinking about Berseria. Is Vesperia real time combat? And how long does it take to get in the groove and hook you?

Yep every game in the series is real time combat all the way back from the SNES. Berseria has a good story but fairly shallow combat, Vesperia is excellent on both. Can't say exactly how long it takes to hook you, think it was pretty early on for me.



Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

13 sentinels was superb. Triangle Strategy was excellent.
For a standard jrpg I thought Arise was one of the best in a long time.



i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC