By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Next Souls-like game to play?

Tagged games:

 

Just beat Bloodborne. Which is the better game that I should play next?

Demon’s Souls PS5 Remake 9 60.00%
 
Sekiro 6 40.00%
 
Total:15

I just beat Bloodborne for the first time. I fell off from the game on PS4 about 4 years ago after beating Blood-Starved Beast and getting trapped in Hypogean Gaol, but I finally got the motivation to restart it on ps5 recently. I really liked it! I’m now interested in playing another soulsborne game. I don’t want to get into the Dark Souls games, bc I just don’t have the time to play 3 long games. So my question is:  Should I play Demon’s Souls ps5 remake or Sekiro next?

Last edited by pitzy272 - on 06 April 2021

Around the Network

It depends on what you liked about Bloodborne. Did you like it as a fast paced (heh) action game, or did you like it as a stat-based RPG with various complexities to the world? If it's the former, then play Sekiro. If it's the later, Demon's Souls is your game.



I think Sekiro is the better game of the two, but since you're one of the lucky few who managed to get a PS5, you might as well play the game that defined its launch window for me (Demon's Souls). It's a bit easier than Sekiro, and Sekiro is like 50% souls-like and 50% its own thing, so that might not be what you're looking for.

Also, you don't HAVE to play all three Souls games. I highly recommend you skip 2/Scholar of the First Sin entirely. I treat Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1, and Dark Souls III as a triligy since they were all made by the same team with the same director and thus they have a similar feel (even if they're very different in design). Dark Souls II was made by a different team and it feels like a fan-game or something, not a sequel to 1. If you are going to do Dark Souls, play Demon's Souls, then Dark Souls Remastered, then Dark Souls III. Or just skip Dark Souls Remastered because it has aged ungracefully.

My ranking for all the FromSoft Soulslike games: Bloodborne > Dark Souls III > Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice > Dark Souls Remastered > Demon's Souls Remastered >>>>>>>>>>>~ Dark Souls II.

the Nioh games (Also enhanced and exclusive to PS4/5) are also quite good. Samurai Souls. They're closer to Souls than Sekiro is, but with a single level and area design more like Demon's Souls as opposed to the semi-open-world of Dark Souls and Bloodborne.



My Console Library:

PS5, Switch

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II, Rock Band 4

I haven't played either, but have played all of the other Souls games, and of the two the one I'm by far most looking forward to playing is the Demon's Souls remake, which I'll get when I eventually buy a PS5.

From what I've read Sekiro isn't all that Souls-y and lacks some of the key elements that I love the Souls series for, which is why I haven't bothered to buy it yet.

Last edited by Machina - on 02 April 2021

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

It depends on what you liked about Bloodborne. Did you like it as a fast paced (heh) action game, or did you like it as a stat-based RPG with various complexities to the world? If it's the former, then play Sekiro. If it's the later, Demon's Souls is your game.

Hmm, tough question for me to answer. I liked all of it. But I loved the world, enemies, and combat style the most.

Last edited by pitzy272 - on 02 April 2021

Around the Network
Runa216 said:

I think Sekiro is the better game of the two, but since you're one of the lucky few who managed to get a PS5, you might as well play the game that defined its launch window for me (Demon's Souls). It's a bit easier than Sekiro, and Sekiro is like 50% souls-like and 50% its own thing, so that might not be what you're looking for.

Also, you don't HAVE to play all three Souls games. I highly recommend you skip 2/Scholar of the First Sin entirely. I treat Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1, and Dark Souls III as a triligy since they were all made by the same team with the same director and thus they have a similar feel (even if they're very different in design). Dark Souls II was made by a different team and it feels like a fan-game or something, not a sequel to 1. If you are going to do Dark Souls, play Demon's Souls, then Dark Souls Remastered, then Dark Souls III. Or just skip Dark Souls Remastered because it has aged ungracefully.

My ranking for all the FromSoft Soulslike games: Bloodborne > Dark Souls III > Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice > Dark Souls Remastered > Demon's Souls Remastered >>>>>>>>>>>~ Dark Souls II.

the Nioh games (Also enhanced and exclusive to PS4/5) are also quite good. Samurai Souls. They're closer to Souls than Sekiro is, but with a single level and area design more like Demon's Souls as opposed to the semi-open-world of Dark Souls and Bloodborne.

Wow, Demon’s Souls is your second least favorite? That makes me feel less excited to play it over Sekiro. :/

I think overall the atmosphere and enemy design in Demon’s Souls are more appealing to me than Sekiro (tho I do still like Sekiro’s aesthetic and art style), but I do worry that DS is so much older than Sekiro and thus  might feel outdated/archaic. I’m not sure which combat style I’ll like more, but I liked Bloodborne’s combat, and it seems like Sekiro’s combat more closely resembles that of Bloodborne.

Thats an interesting concept to potentially skip DS 1 and 2. Would I not be missing anything important or vital, story or otherwise?



Bloodborne to me is the peak of Fromsoft. Loved everything about it.
As for what to follow it with, I'd say Demon Souls, just because it has a more flexible gameplay. And - in my personal opinion- a better setting.

Sekiro is a very stiff game, you have to play it the way the game demands you to, which I personally didnt like.
Dont get me wrong, I think Sekiro is a very good game, just very rigid with its gameplay.
A lot of people like it for that, personally I think it takes away from the experience.
Still, the more epic battles are super epic.



Honestly, ignore them both. Play Nioh 2. It is 99% a standalone story, so don't worry about playing them out of order. I enjoyed Dark Souls 3, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, and Dark Souls, but they didn't compare to Nioh 2.



Farsala said:

Honestly, ignore them both. Play Nioh 2. It is 99% a standalone story, so don't worry about playing them out of order. I enjoyed Dark Souls 3, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, and Dark Souls, but they didn't compare to Nioh 2.

Wow, interesting. You have my attention. I’m gonna look into it. I really don’t have a ton of time to play games, so I have to choose wisely. :/ Thanks for the tip!



pitzy272 said:
Runa216 said:

I think Sekiro is the better game of the two, but since you're one of the lucky few who managed to get a PS5, you might as well play the game that defined its launch window for me (Demon's Souls). It's a bit easier than Sekiro, and Sekiro is like 50% souls-like and 50% its own thing, so that might not be what you're looking for.

Also, you don't HAVE to play all three Souls games. I highly recommend you skip 2/Scholar of the First Sin entirely. I treat Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1, and Dark Souls III as a triligy since they were all made by the same team with the same director and thus they have a similar feel (even if they're very different in design). Dark Souls II was made by a different team and it feels like a fan-game or something, not a sequel to 1. If you are going to do Dark Souls, play Demon's Souls, then Dark Souls Remastered, then Dark Souls III. Or just skip Dark Souls Remastered because it has aged ungracefully.

My ranking for all the FromSoft Soulslike games: Bloodborne > Dark Souls III > Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice > Dark Souls Remastered > Demon's Souls Remastered >>>>>>>>>>>~ Dark Souls II.

the Nioh games (Also enhanced and exclusive to PS4/5) are also quite good. Samurai Souls. They're closer to Souls than Sekiro is, but with a single level and area design more like Demon's Souls as opposed to the semi-open-world of Dark Souls and Bloodborne.

Wow, Demon’s Souls is your second least favorite? That makes me feel less excited to play it over Sekiro. :/

I think overall the atmosphere and enemy design in Demon’s Souls are more appealing to me than Sekiro (tho I do still like Sekiro’s aesthetic and art style), but I do worry that DS is so much older than Sekiro and thus  might feel outdated/archaic. I’m not sure which combat style I’ll like more, but I liked Bloodborne’s combat, and it seems like Sekiro’s combat more closely resembles that of Bloodborne.

Thats an interesting concept to potentially skip DS 1 and 2. Would I not be missing anything important or vital, story or otherwise?

Don't let this discourage you. every game in this list aside from Dark Souls II is in my top 25 of all time! They are all great, it's just sorta clear that Demon's Souls was a fantastic prototype for the better, more refined Dark Souls 1 and 3. 



My Console Library:

PS5, Switch

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II, Rock Band 4