Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best Technical Graphics in a Portable Game from Each Generation

Portable graphics have come a long way from Gameboy. Its pretty amazing what they are capable of nowadays and this is an appreciation topic for these powerhouses that come in small form factor.

This is all about graphics, not visuals, so only discuss the most technologically impressive games of the generation. So no DS games, because PSP had objectively better games in terms of technology. No 3DS games because Vita. Talking of Switch games mention the best looking game in portable form and not on docked.

I'm doing this to keep bias out of the way. Obviously many would say a DS and 3DS game because it "appeals" more to them visually which mocks the point of the discussion. Its appreciating technology, not art styles.



Around the Network

I'll start.

Gen 6 Pokemon Emerald. Didn't play a lot of GBA games.

Gen 7 God of War: Ghost of Sparta. It boggle the mind what magic Ready At Dawn did with this game. Blows the crap out of most PS2 games with its amazing textures and lighting, astounding sense of scale far ahead of any portable game to date, amazing special effects and beautiful animations all while running at 35 to 40fps.

Gen 8 Killzone: Mercenary. It looks like Killzone 2. The stunning character models and environments with the post processing make it look that good.

Gen 9 Doom. It looks like Doom on console. It plays like Doom on console. It gets a lot of the effects right and not looking them side and not caring about the framerate it is Doom on console but on a portable.



GOWTLOZ said: 

This is all about graphics, not visuals, so only discuss the most technologically impressive games of the generation. So no DS games, because PSP had objectively better games in terms of technology. No 3DS games because Vita. Talking of Switch games mention the best looking game in portable form and not on docked.

I'm doing this to keep bias out of the way. Obviously many would say a DS and 3DS game because it "appeals" more to them visually which mocks the point of the discussion. Its appreciating technology, not art styles.

Sure, but technologically impressive can also mean it's impressive for the hardware it's on.

As an example, Resident Evil: Revelations looks incredible on the 3DS and I still have a bit of a hard time believing it runs on it.

I'll think of more later, but yeah, there's definitely more impressive GBA picks than Pokémon lol. I recall seeing a 3D game on it once, it was quite ugly of course but it was proper 3D. Can't remember the name.



RE Revelations looks better than 9 out of 10 Vita games so there goes that. It looks better than RER2 anyway.



PSP I wouls say FFVII Crisis Core, Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, and God of war Ghost of Sparta.

PS Vita, Uncharted Golden Abyss, Freedom Wars, Killzone Mercenaries.



Around the Network
mZuzek said:

GOWTLOZ said: 

This is all about graphics, not visuals, so only discuss the most technologically impressive games of the generation. So no DS games, because PSP had objectively better games in terms of technology. No 3DS games because Vita. Talking of Switch games mention the best looking game in portable form and not on docked.

I'm doing this to keep bias out of the way. Obviously many would say a DS and 3DS game because it "appeals" more to them visually which mocks the point of the discussion. Its appreciating technology, not art styles.

Sure, but technologically impressive can also mean it's impressive for the hardware it's on.

As an example, Resident Evil: Revelations looks incredible on the 3DS and I still have a bit of a hard time believing it runs on it.

I'll think of more later, but yeah, there's definitely more impressive GBA picks than Pokémon lol. I recall seeing a 3D game on it once, it was quite ugly of course but it was proper 3D. Can't remember the name.

This topic isn't about how impressive it is for the hardware but if its the most impressive for the generation of portables which you clearly know RE R isn't. If you're going to keep twisting the topic at hand, make your own topic.

S.Peelman said:
RE Revelations looks better than 9 out of 10 Vita games so there goes that. It looks better than RER2 anyway.

Its not as good as any of the AAA Vita games. Ofc its better than indies. Still about that 1 out of 10 in your books, why don't you pick one of those.

Its like picking Bayonetta 2 on Wii U because it looks better than Don't Starve on PS4. Ofc it does. But you would know VERY well it is far from reaching the heights of PS4's best looking games.



The whole remake of SM64 on DS was pretty impressive honestly to showcase DS 3D capabilities.



Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:
The whole remake of SM64 on DS was pretty impressive honestly to showcase DS 3D capabilities.

Please read the OP. Its about technical graphics for each generation. DS is the same gen as PSP and no DS game can match PSP's AAA games.



GOWTLOZ said:
mZuzek said:

Sure, but technologically impressive can also mean it's impressive for the hardware it's on.

As an example, Resident Evil: Revelations looks incredible on the 3DS and I still have a bit of a hard time believing it runs on it.

I'll think of more later, but yeah, there's definitely more impressive GBA picks than Pokémon lol. I recall seeing a 3D game on it once, it was quite ugly of course but it was proper 3D. Can't remember the name.

This topic isn't about how impressive it is for the hardware but if its the most impressive for the generation of portables which you clearly know RE R isn't. If you're going to keep twisting the topic at hand, make your own topic.

Sorry for trying to make your thread more interesting. I'll go away now.



mZuzek said:
GOWTLOZ said:

This topic isn't about how impressive it is for the hardware but if its the most impressive for the generation of portables which you clearly know RE R isn't. If you're going to keep twisting the topic at hand, make your own topic.

Sorry for trying to make your thread more interesting. I'll go away now.

I guess it isn't interesting if you have to mention some Sony portable games, cause you probably never had them. So go ahead, there are all these generations of Gameboy and Switch games. Mention those.