Forums - Sales Discussion - Home console launch week sales trend - NPD data

Tagged games:

NPD Data from NeoGAF

Xbox 360 (Nov 2005) 325,000
01 Call of Duty 2: 260,000
02 Madden NFL 06
03 Perfect Dark Zero: 160,000
04 Need for Speed: Most Wanted
05 Project Gotham Racing 3: 79,000
06 Kameo: Elements of Power: 73,000
07 Condemned: Criminal Origins
08 Quake 4: 57,000
09 NBA Live 06
10 Gun
xx Ridge Racer 6: 9,000
~1.2m total games sold

PlayStation 3 (Nov 2006) 197,000
01 Resistance: Fall of Man: 65,000
02 Madden NFL 07
03 Call of Duty 3: 24,000
04 Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
05 Ridge Racer 7
06 Need for Speed: Carbon
07 Tony Hawk's Project 8
08 NBA 2K7
09 NBA 07
10 Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom
~215k total games sold

Wii (Nov 2006) 476,000
01 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: 412,000
02 Red Steel: 107,000
03 Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
04 Rayman Raving Rabbids: over 50,000
05 Call of Duty 3: 48,000
06 Madden NFL 07
07 Trauma Center: Second Opinion
08 Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
09 Excite Truck
10 Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2
~1m total games sold (not counting Wii Sports)

Nintendo data - Just whatever I have gathered from various articles and sources

Wii U has sold over 450k
New Super Mario Bros U has sold over 350k in retail and 30k digital (i.e. very strong tie ratio to console sales)
Nintendo Land also has high tie ratio but I don't know if its 1st or 2nd in sales. On digital sales, it was less than Mario.
ZombiU is third highest selling just shy of 100k sales (i.e. 1:4 tie ratio very similar to Red Steel. Has higher post-purchase satisfaction per MiiVerse)
Call of Duty - Black Ops 2 is 4th
Assassin's Creed 3 is 5th

The rest of the Wii U games haven't sold that well (especially poor Ninja Gaiden 3 - Razor's Edge and Darksiders 2 which are both good games IMHO)

So basically Week 1 of the Wii U looks to be just short of how Wii did to me.

  • Wii U sales a little short of Wii
  • Nintendo Land falls short of Wii Sports (which was 100% bundled)
  • NSMBU falls a little short of Zelda Twilight Princess (but I bet will have longer legs per Mario vs. Zelda standards sales trends)
  • ZombiU falls a little short of Red Steel
  • Everything else is probably about the same in terms of how sales quantity rank in top 10


Around the Network

I don't want to sound harsh or anything, but I'm not too impressed that with the fact that Nintendo didn't get everything in order in time to build more consoles, they knew they would sell out of this trinket amount, they've been in the HW biz long enough.

Hope MS and Sony don't make the same mistake like they arguably also did in 2005 & 2006 respectively.



Proclus said:

I don't want to sound harsh or anything, but I'm not too impressed that with the fact that Nintendo didn't get everything in order in time to build more consoles, they knew they would sell out of this trinket amount, they've been in the HW biz long enough.

Hope MS and Sony don't make the same mistake like they arguably also did in 2005 & 2006 respectively.

I was just talking to a friend saying these guys (MS, Sony, Nintendo) need to learn something from Apple about hardware production and sales. Apple litterally reveals a product 2 weeks before it will become available and then has something high like 10 million units worldwide for purchase and then steady supply beyond that.



cusman said:
Proclus said:

I don't want to sound harsh or anything, but I'm not too impressed that with the fact that Nintendo didn't get everything in order in time to build more consoles, they knew they would sell out of this trinket amount, they've been in the HW biz long enough.

Hope MS and Sony don't make the same mistake like they arguably also did in 2005 & 2006 respectively.

I was just talking to a friend saying these guys (MS, Sony, Nintendo) need to learn something from Apple about hardware production and sales. Apple litterally reveals a product 2 weeks before it will become available and then has something high like 10 million units worldwide for purchase and then steady supply beyond that.

While I don't much like Apple or it's products, it's a very smart company to do that indeed, these console hardware guys would be smart to follow Apple's idea/motto when releasing their consoles (Although it's too late for the Wii U).

Hopefully we'll see MS and Sony producing at least 1.5M-2.0M consoles for launch week, I have no doubt they'll practically sell out anyway.



So bassically the only thing Nintendo could not outdo with this launch was Nintendo itself.

Second week will say a lot . Or it will say stock was really limited.



    The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

Around the Network
cusman said:
Proclus said:

I don't want to sound harsh or anything, but I'm not too impressed that with the fact that Nintendo didn't get everything in order in time to build more consoles, they knew they would sell out of this trinket amount, they've been in the HW biz long enough.

Hope MS and Sony don't make the same mistake like they arguably also did in 2005 & 2006 respectively.

I was just talking to a friend saying these guys (MS, Sony, Nintendo) need to learn something from Apple about hardware production and sales. Apple litterally reveals a product 2 weeks before it will become available and then has something high like 10 million units worldwide for purchase and then steady supply beyond that.

different models. if you want nintendo to start overcharging for their consoles so they have huge healthly margins, that would be fine than. as it is they are taking a modest loss. its not in their interest to sell as much as possible now. Better to get more sales when its profitable.



Wow poor PS3



Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

 

@cusman - thanks for posting. This really helps to put WiiU's launch week into perspective.



 

Twilight Princess' number is surprising considering that it's almost as many sales as the Wii itself.



spurgeonryan said:
So bassically the only thing Nintendo could not outdo with this launch was Nintendo itself.

Second week will say a lot . Or it will say stock was really limited.

Well put!