Quantcast
What's the difference between JRPG and regular RPG?

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's the difference between JRPG and regular RPG?

Valkyria00 said:
BTFeather55 said:
Garnett said:
KylieDog said:
Valkyria00 said:
One is made in Japan.
One usually follows pretty teenagers of questionable gender.
Ones usual story is to save the world.
One usual has turn-based battles
One has the second-best over-rated series in history (FF)

 

Fixed.

 

 

 

      Fixed

Id appreciate if you didnt alter my post BTFeather

 

     What are you alright with Garnett altering your post?  Fact is Final Fantasy is not the most overrated series in history and is actually no worse than one of the top five series ever made.

 



Heavens to Murgatoids.

Around the Network

JRPGs have nothing to do with role playing. Its basically pokemons battle system with people instead of pokemon and thats not cool.



N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

@Valkyria
Considerring that you recently stated that ToS2 was your first console JRPG ever, and don't appear to own any Final Fantasy game, I question your credentials for calling it the most overrated Series ever.



...

The difference between the two is that one gets bashed unfairly and the other one doesn't(not that WRPGs deserve it though).



RPG - RPG....

JRPG - RPG from Japan.



4 ≈ One

Around the Network
jesus kung fu magic said:

JRPGs have nothing to do with role playing. Its basically pokemons battle system with people instead of pokemon and thats not cool.

     JRPGs actually are very much like the best classic Western rpgs -- SSI's D & D games and the best Ultima games.  While contemporary Western rpgs have much more to do with the worst Western RPGs -- Might and Magic, Wizardy, Dungeon Master.

     The one good thing about Bioware is that they picked the best school of Western RPGS to influence their games unlike almost every other contemporary Western RPG developer that chose to let the first-person corridor crawling variety be the biggest influence on their games.

   (The Fable games, like Bioware's, are also obviously also not in the corridor crawling school, so Molyneux and company get points in my book for that.)  



Heavens to Murgatoids.

Torillian said:
@Valkyria
Considerring that you recently stated that ToS2 was your first console JRPG ever, and don't appear to own any Final Fantasy game, I question your credentials for calling it the most overrated Series ever.

Yes console. Ive played FF I-II-IV-VI Tactics on GBA/PSP all failed to convince me.

Edit - Forgot Crisis Core and other RPGs for the PSP.

 

 



The difference is one has elitists morons that like to bash everything else and the other doesn't.



Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

BTFeather55 said:
Valkyria00 said:
BTFeather55 said:
Garnett said:
KylieDog said:
Valkyria00 said:
One is made in Japan.
One usually follows pretty teenagers of questionable gender.
Ones usual story is to save the world.
One usual has turn-based battles
One has the second-best over-rated series in history (FF)

 

Fixed.

 

 

 

      Fixed

Id appreciate if you didnt alter my post BTFeather

 

     What are you alright with Garnett altering your post?  Fact is Final Fantasy is not the most overrated series in history and is actually no worse than one of the top five series ever made.

 

Garnett actually didnt alter it. That was KylieDog who altered it with a good point.

You on the other hand didnt. Im not a fan of the series but that has nothing with it being over-rated. Almost anything from S-E is over-rated/hyped. Quite a bit of JRPG fans on this site are quick to say that FF is over-rated. If you love the series good for you but it doesnt change the fact that it gets too much credit for its name.

 



BTFeather55 said:
jesus kung fu magic said:

JRPGs have nothing to do with role playing. Its basically pokemons battle system with people instead of pokemon and thats not cool.

JRPGs actually are very much like the best classic Western rpgs -- SSI's D & D games and the best Ultima games. While contemporary Western rpgs have much more to do with the worst Western RPGs -- Might and Magic, Wizardy, etc.

 

Once again thanks for offering your opinion as the general concensus of everyone.