Quantcast
Locked: E3 Rumor- Hard Drive for Wii

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - E3 Rumor- Hard Drive for Wii

Kwaad said:
tk1989 - PS1 games on the PSN range from 200mb to 650mb. Some of them dont compress at all. And the small ones... I dont think filled up the CD.

Nintendo needs to do something about their data storage. my free motorstorm update is bigger than the Wii can handle. I have close to 1gb of pictures on my PS3, and when I start using it for my camera, that's gonna shoot to 10-20gb. High storage is your friend... speaking of which, I need to buy a 4gb MemoryStickProDuo, and a 8gb SD card.
Kwaad, is this the PS3 hard drive storage space praise thread? It's about the Wii and it's need or not of an HD.Stop posting irrelevent stuf anyways, I even saw you somewhere gloating for sending Gay porn through your PS3.(That's what the 1 Gb of pictures are?) Nintendo already denied the development of a HD for Wii. A simple boot-up from the SD disc will suffice, plus charging for the DVD as a channel would take care of the licence fees. (5-10 bucks is still cheaper than a standalone DVDplayer, hope they see it that way.)

 



"You won't find Adobe here in Nairobi"


 

Around the Network
I agree with Fazz, I use a SD card of 2GB to store my virtual console games. I've got about 25 VC games plus 2 channels on the SD and just got under the 14.000 blocks while the card has a bit above the 15.000 blocks. Among those games there are 4 N64 games. When bigger Virtual Console games arrive some kind of update to exept bigger storage will be better. I'm not really fond of external storage hardware to be honest.


This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*

VonShigsy said:
Kwaad said:
tk1989 - PS1 games on the PSN range from 200mb to 650mb. Some of them dont compress at all. And the small ones... I dont think filled up the CD.

Nintendo needs to do something about their data storage. my free motorstorm update is bigger than the Wii can handle. I have close to 1gb of pictures on my PS3, and when I start using it for my camera, that's gonna shoot to 10-20gb. High storage is your friend... speaking of which, I need to buy a 4gb MemoryStickProDuo, and a 8gb SD card.
Kwaad, is this the PS3 hard drive storage space praise thread? It's about the Wii and it's need or not of an HD.Stop posting irrelevent stuf anyways, I even saw you somewhere gloating for sending Gay porn through your PS3.(That's what the 1 Gb of pictures are?) Nintendo already denied the development of a HD for Wii. A simple boot-up from the SD disc will suffice, plus charging for the DVD as a channel would take care of the licence fees. (5-10 bucks is still cheaper than a standalone DVDplayer, hope they see it that way.)

 

Kwaad's point's are valid and spot on, your comments about the porn are unnecessary and stupid. Wii needs more storage space so people can have more games simple.
Now the question is how does Nintendo achieve this without  passing on major costs to the consumers... I don't want this to go down like the X360 ($90 for 20GB HDD & $180 for 120GB) which is absolute theft, considering you can get a 500GB for Frys for $110.


Kwaad said:
tk1989 - PS1 games on the PSN range from 200mb to 650mb. Some of them dont compress at all. And the small ones... I dont think filled up the CD.

But what did they use the space for in the PS1 era?  Redbook audio?  MP3 it, problem solved.  FMV?  I don't think WiiWare games are going to be laden with FMV, these are indie developers we're talking about.

You could fit 20 100 MB games on a 2 GB SD card that costs you $25.  That's way cheaper than a hard drive peripheral and it's enough space. 



I think some of you misunderstand the difference between Mb (megabit) and MB (megabyte). No N64 is even close to being 256 MB. LoZ:OoT takes up only 25 MB without any compression (other than the compression Nintendo used to fit it on the cart) for all of the rom data, but it was put on a 256 Mb cart. It takes 8 bits to make a byte. So no, even uncompressed (which I suspect to be the way Nintendo is delivering them) N64 and NG games won't wipe out the internal storage of the Wii within one or two games.



You do not have the right to never be offended.

Around the Network
Entroper said:
Kwaad said:
tk1989 - PS1 games on the PSN range from 200mb to 650mb. Some of them dont compress at all. And the small ones... I dont think filled up the CD.

But what did they use the space for in the PS1 era?  Redbook audio?  MP3 it, problem solved.  FMV?  I don't think WiiWare games are going to be laden with FMV, these are indie developers we're talking about.

You could fit 20 100 MB games on a 2 GB SD card that costs you $25.  That's way cheaper than a hard drive peripheral and it's enough space. 


No, the PS1 uses its own sound format that can actually have the song sound like the original version yet take up less space than an MP3.  Not that PS1 games will be coming to the Wii or anything (or that you suggested it), but what you're asking doesn't really work.  Download some PSF files (PSX music extracted from the game disc) some time.  What you'll find are files smaller than MP3s that sound the same as if you bought an OST for the game.  Really, PlayStation audio is top notch and very space efficient.

To put it simply, you cannot save space on PSX games without straight out compressing them.  That won't save much space due the nature of games in general, and it will also mean that the machine has to work much harder to play the game for you.  So, in the end, there's no way in hell you're going to be seeing games on the level of the more popular PS1 games on WiiWare if games have to run off of the internal memory.  No FF7s, no MGSs.  They are simply too big to fit even with advancements in compression.



You do not have the right to never be offended.

999301573 said:
 
Kwaad's point's are valid and spot on, your comments about the porn are unnecessary and stupid. Wii needs more storage space so people can have more games simple.
Now the question is how does Nintendo achieve this without  passing on major costs to the consumers... I don't want this to go down like the X360 ($90 for 20GB HDD & $180 for 120GB) which is absolute theft, considering you can get a 500GB for Frys for $110.

I agree. The porn just took it too far.

I don't believe there will be a hard drive. Nintendo will just point to the SD card slot and say "Use that."



My point is that if a PS1 game is using most of the CD, most of that space is probably not models and textures, it's FMV or redbook audio, which plenty of games did use rather than a MIDI-like format -- CD-quality audio was touted as an advantage of the system. I have a rather substantial game music collection, so I know that both formats were used.

But for that matter, when did anyone suggest that we were going to see FF7 (or a game like it) on WiiWare?



999301573 said:
VonShigsy said:
Kwaad said:
tk1989 - PS1 games on the PSN range from 200mb to 650mb. Some of them dont compress at all. And the small ones... I dont think filled up the CD.

Nintendo needs to do something about their data storage. my free motorstorm update is bigger than the Wii can handle. I have close to 1gb of pictures on my PS3, and when I start using it for my camera, that's gonna shoot to 10-20gb. High storage is your friend... speaking of which, I need to buy a 4gb MemoryStickProDuo, and a 8gb SD card.
Kwaad, is this the PS3 hard drive storage space praise thread? It's about the Wii and it's need or not of an HD.Stop posting irrelevent stuf anyways, I even saw you somewhere gloating for sending Gay porn through your PS3.(That's what the 1 Gb of pictures are?) Nintendo already denied the development of a HD for Wii. A simple boot-up from the SD disc will suffice, plus charging for the DVD as a channel would take care of the licence fees. (5-10 bucks is still cheaper than a standalone DVDplayer, hope they see it that way.)

 

Kwaad's point's are valid and spot on, your comments about the porn are unnecessary and stupid. Wii needs more storage space so people can have more games simple.
Now the question is how does Nintendo achieve this without passing on major costs to the consumers... I don't want this to go down like the X360 ($90 for 20GB HDD & $180 for 120GB) which is absolute theft, considering you can get a 500GB for Frys for $110.
How can Kwaad comment be spot on on a wii thread, when in his post all he does is gloat about the Ps3 hard drive capacity on a wii topic? Most users agreed on this thread already that using the sd card to boot games though an update is more logical than a perispheral that many will not find use. The VC service along with Wiiware is not that much demanding on storage space. Plus Wii is marketed as a gaming console, not a media hub for the need of huge storage space. You are right about the porn comment, i'm sorry. It was just an immature post he made in another topic, but i was just furious for again gloating for his ps3 on a nintendo topic, that why i mentioned it. His patronising tone sometimes gets on my nerves, sorry again.    

 



"You won't find Adobe here in Nairobi"


 

Entroper said:

But for that matter, when did anyone suggest that we were going to see FF7 (or a game like it) on WiiWare?


No one did. One thing led to another and BAM! an arguement about storage space.