Quantcast
Phil Spencer: VR Is Not Our Focus Because Our Customers Aren't Asking for It

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer: VR Is Not Our Focus Because Our Customers Aren't Asking for It

Is this the right choice for MS?

Yes, VR will never go mainstream. 8 27.59%
 
Right now, yes. VR is still too niche. 13 44.83%
 
No. MS will lose their p... 8 27.59%
 
Total:29
SvennoJ said:
I was still interested in buying an X when MS was hinting at WMR support for it. That never happened, and I've lost interest in XBox completely. Thanks to gamepass I don't have to miss the few games I'm interested in and the money saved from staying a dual console owner instead of all 3, goes to VR.

I have bought way more VR games than 'flat' games since PSVR came out. I do still play more without VR but that's because I'm addicted to sport mode in Gran Turismo and online doesn't support VR. In between I play Beat Saber and currently Borderlands 2 VR.

You know GamePass will cost you more in the end right? A rental service where if subbed for the whole year will cost you $120, where owning a game will cost you $60 (depending where you are from)

$120 x 5 years = $600. Thats the price of a console. Now if you continue paying after 5 years, that will continue to add up to the point it will just be cheaper buying the console and said games you are interested in.

Thats the point of GamePass, like a phone plan, its made to look cheap on the surface however it will catch up to you in the end.



Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

Theres currently 3 VR headsets in the top50 on amazon, this black friday.
While theres no Xbox in the top50 list.

Theres a growing demand for it (VR), and its only gonna get better as the technology advances.

That's potentially a bad sign. How many are there normally throughout the year in the top 50?

If people are only willing to pay as little as possible, on one day of the year to get one... That's not great. As the tech advances, so will cost.



The thing is with VR (like 3D) is the barrier it needs to get going, where most people are just happy with a controller and sitting comfortably. What puts a lot of people off is the need for additional gear, complexity of setup to a normal gaming setup.

Hopefully Half Life: Alyx puts some steam into VR. The tech is here already, it just needs some refinement. As the experience for VR is amazing and so immersive, though admittedly not for everyone.

A small, light wireless headset with no lighthouse would be ideal and would remove a lot of qualms with VR. I'm a bit disappointed that more companies aren't pushing the tech with higher quality titles with it.

Last edited by hinch - on 03 December 2019

This is a big miss for me. My most anticipated thing from Microsoft going into next gen was seeing Forza and Halo in VR. I have been on board with many of their moves over the past two years, but this one I can’t agree with.

Looks like I will get Scarlett and stick with Game Pass going forward. I’m not going to dump $300 - $500 into Microsoft exclusives every year if they aren’t going to push new tech. I can grab Game Pass when a big game comes out, or get a year when it goes on sale.

I am in this industry for new experiences. I don’t mind playing upgraded versions of the same games we have been playing since the late 90’s to early 00’s, but I want something new as well. It is a shame that a company with great games, that are ripe for modern tech, is blocking its teams from delivering the best product they can deliver.



Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

ironmanDX said:
JRPGfan said:

Theres currently 3 VR headsets in the top50 on amazon, this black friday.
While theres no Xbox in the top50 list.

Theres a growing demand for it (VR), and its only gonna get better as the technology advances.

That's potentially a bad sign. How many are there normally throughout the year in the top 50?

If people are only willing to pay as little as possible, on one day of the year to get one... That's not great. As the tech advances, so will cost.

look at how much 60" tv's cost today vs 20 years ago.
Costs are like 1/10th, while at the same time your getting a vastly better tv today than then.

Usually as tech developes it gets cheaper, same with mass production.
The reason its so expensive is because they dont make enough, and sales arnt there for it.

That can easily change with time.
Sony has the right idea, by keeping the unit simple and cheap.

While these guys chaseing the ultimate VR experiance makeing units that cost 1500$-2000$, are only doing so for profits, while probably not really doing much of anything to appeal to the mass market. If VR takes off and goes big, it ll be from the bottom up, imo, since so many want to try it, but see the cost of entry as too much.



Around the Network

It's a matter of cost and accessibility when it comes to widening the base of VR users. As it stands right now, getting a decent VR headset is still too expensive for a lot of people, and many have trouble using them without experiencing issues like nausea when playing for any extended period of time. There's immense potential in VR for gaming, but I don't think the technology is at an accessible enough place yet for it to become widely adopted outside of a specific niche audience. Personally, I have little interest in VR at the moment, but maybe in 5 to 10 years that will change when companies can lower the cost of entry and make the headsets better in general.



My Most Recent Articles:

1. VGChartz' Top 50 Video Game Composers (20 - 16)

2. VGChartz' Top 50 Video Game Composers (35 - 21)

3. VGChartz' Top 50 Video Game Composers (50 - 36)

For my non-video game related writings you can check my blog below.

Latest Post: Disney Canon: Dumbo (1941)

Azzanation said:
SvennoJ said:
I was still interested in buying an X when MS was hinting at WMR support for it. That never happened, and I've lost interest in XBox completely. Thanks to gamepass I don't have to miss the few games I'm interested in and the money saved from staying a dual console owner instead of all 3, goes to VR.

I have bought way more VR games than 'flat' games since PSVR came out. I do still play more without VR but that's because I'm addicted to sport mode in Gran Turismo and online doesn't support VR. In between I play Beat Saber and currently Borderlands 2 VR.

You know GamePass will cost you more in the end right? A rental service where if subbed for the whole year will cost you $120, where owning a game will cost you $60 (depending where you are from)

$120 x 5 years = $600. Thats the price of a console. Now if you continue paying after 5 years, that will continue to add up to the point it will just be cheaper buying the console and said games you are interested in.

Thats the point of GamePass, like a phone plan, its made to look cheap on the surface however it will catch up to you in the end.

So far I paid $1 to play FH4, Gears 4 and Crackdown. When there is more I can always get it for another month. You can simply make a new account and get it for a dollar again. I have no intention to subscribe for longer than it takes to play one of the exclusives



JRPGfan said:
ironmanDX said:

That's potentially a bad sign. How many are there normally throughout the year in the top 50?

If people are only willing to pay as little as possible, on one day of the year to get one... That's not great. As the tech advances, so will cost.

look at how much 60" tv's cost today vs 20 years ago.
Costs are like 1/10th, while at the same time your getting a vastly better tv today than then.

Usually as tech developes it gets cheaper, same with mass production.
The reason its so expensive is because they dont make enough, and sales arnt there for it.

That can easily change with time.
Sony has the right idea, by keeping the unit simple and cheap.

While these guys chaseing the ultimate VR experiance makeing units that cost 1500$-2000$, are only doing so for profits, while probably not really doing much of anything to appeal to the mass market. If VR takes off and goes big, it ll be from the bottom up, imo, since so many want to try it, but see the cost of entry as too much.

VR has been around some 30 years. It's had time. You also didn't answer the other question. 

How have they polled for the rest of the year? 



ironmanDX said:
JRPGfan said:

look at how much 60" tv's cost today vs 20 years ago.
Costs are like 1/10th, while at the same time your getting a vastly better tv today than then.

Usually as tech developes it gets cheaper, same with mass production.
The reason its so expensive is because they dont make enough, and sales arnt there for it.

That can easily change with time.
Sony has the right idea, by keeping the unit simple and cheap.

While these guys chaseing the ultimate VR experiance makeing units that cost 1500$-2000$, are only doing so for profits, while probably not really doing much of anything to appeal to the mass market. If VR takes off and goes big, it ll be from the bottom up, imo, since so many want to try it, but see the cost of entry as too much.

VR has been around some 30 years. It's had time. You also didn't answer the other question. 

How have they polled for the rest of the year? 

Virtual Boy, doesnt count.... that wasnt VR.
What type of consumer product VR was there out 30 years ago? 
I think "real" vr is in its early stages, before oculus there was basically nothing (imo).

I think 20 years from now, you ll look at VR headsets today vs then, and see the same patern as happend to us now, with TVs.
They will be vastly better, even just this "next gen" (gen2) of vr headsets, are already set to improve the bar alot.

"how have they polled for the rest of the year"

I honestly dont know, I know that sometime early-mid this year there was like 5million units of PSVR.

Is PSVR (on PS4) a failur if it only does like 7million units lifetime?
I dont think so, any start up and first of its kinde, have slow adaption rates, esp if theres still minor kinks to be worked out.

They will improve with time, and prices will drop, and adoption rates will keep growing.

*edit:
Ironman if PSVR does like 7mil on PS4.... do you think PSVR2 will do like 10m+ on PS5?
And how much do you feel like a VR headset needs to sell, before you can justify spending resources & developement on it?

My dad, was born in 53 and he remembers TV's being something not ever house hold owned.
He says they where one of the first on the block he lived to get a colour tv (his mom got one), so they had other children over often to watch stuff there because it was in colour. This was back when production of tv, wasnt all in colour either.

Can you imagine.... and before then there was a time when TV's must have been really rare, like.... few houses owned one.
Today they are everywhere, and many homes have multiple TVs or monitors.

Imagine if they just gave up, back then before critical mass took off, and TVs became what they are today.
Same thing with VR headsets (though I doubt it ll ever be as popular & common as TVs, I expect them to be much more common than now).

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 03 December 2019

ironmanDX said:
JRPGfan said:

look at how much 60" tv's cost today vs 20 years ago.
Costs are like 1/10th, while at the same time your getting a vastly better tv today than then.

Usually as tech developes it gets cheaper, same with mass production.
The reason its so expensive is because they dont make enough, and sales arnt there for it.

That can easily change with time.
Sony has the right idea, by keeping the unit simple and cheap.

While these guys chaseing the ultimate VR experiance makeing units that cost 1500$-2000$, are only doing so for profits, while probably not really doing much of anything to appeal to the mass market. If VR takes off and goes big, it ll be from the bottom up, imo, since so many want to try it, but see the cost of entry as too much.

VR has been around some 30 years. It's had time. You also didn't answer the other question. 

How have they polled for the rest of the year? 

There might be some headsets dating back that far, but the Rift is the first halfway viable headset.  It still has some major problems.