Quantcast
UK top 10 (sep 14th) - Borderlands 3, Gears 5, Greedfall

Forums - Sales Discussion - UK top 10 (sep 14th) - Borderlands 3, Gears 5, Greedfall

Here is the UKIE/GfK Top Ten for the week ending September 14:

Top 10 UK :

  1. Borderlands 3
  2. Gears 5
  3. eFootball PES 2020
  4. NBA 2K20
  5. Greedfall
  6. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  7. Spyro Reignited Trilogy
  8. Grand Theft Auto V
  9. Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled
  10. Super Mario Maker 2

source :  https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-09-16-borderlands-3-is-the-biggest-uk-boxed-launch-of-2019

From the article:

"The game sold less than half the number of boxed copies as its predecessor (Borderlands 2) managed in week one back in 2012. However, that was seven years ago when digital was still a small part of the industry. Furthermore, Borderlands as a franchise has enjoyed significant success since then as a download via Steam, PSN and Xbox Live."

"In second spot is Microsoft's Gears 5. The game also sold less than its predecessor -- about 25% of what Gears 4 managed at launch -- but we live in a Game Pass world, and it's not clear what impact the subscription service has had on sales of first-party Xbox games."

Borderlands sales might not actually be down, if you factor in digital.

Even with digital sales factored in, Gears 5 should be way down, compaired to Gears of War 4.
Hopefully Gamepass revenue contributes enough to offset that somewhat.

---- edit:

Supposedly these are how the previous games did opening week (UK):

[2006] Gears of War ~ 100,000
[2008] Gears of War 2 ~ 220,000
[2011] Gears of War 3 ~ 323,000
[2013] Gears of War Judgement ~ 80,000
[2015] Gears of War Remake Ultimate Edition ~ 40,000
[2016] Gears of War 4 ~ 80,000
[2019] Gears 5 ~ 22,000
 
Last edited by JRPGfan - on 16 September 2019

Around the Network

Yeah gamepass seems to be doing huge, ZhugeEx and others can't stop tweeting about it but not sure if we get numbers.






konnichiwa said:
Yeah gamepass seems to be doing huge, ZhugeEx and others can't stop tweeting about it but not sure if we get numbers.

Well we will see how big-budget 6 will be and than we will know how well 5 did



MS clearly is pushing gamepass hard with promotions to gain a big user base and the value they are offering at this point is extremely good, so imo everyone should take advantage. However MS is not a charity, they want this model to make them more money in the long run than the traditional way of selling games and it remains to be seen how they'll go about achieving that in the future.



Lafiel said:
MS clearly is pushing gamepass hard with promotions to gain a big user base and the value they are offering at this point is extremely good, so imo everyone should take advantage. However MS is not a charity, they want this model to make them more money in the long run than the traditional way of selling games and it remains to be seen how they'll go about achieving that in the future.

No doubt currently its not sustainable....  alot of that is probably due to promotions though.
1$ for gamepass is too little for it to be profitable.... its to grow the user base.

Once it becomes popular enough, they ll start hikeing the price up in steps.



Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
konnichiwa said:
Yeah gamepass seems to be doing huge, ZhugeEx and others can't stop tweeting about it but not sure if we get numbers.

Well we will see how big-budget 6 will be and than we will know how well 5 did

Thanks to the incredible support from our fans, Gears 5 kicked off the Holiday season strong – attracting over three million players in its opening weekend and setting new records for Xbox Game Pass with the biggest launch week of any Xbox Game Studios title this generation. The performance easily doubled the first week’s debut of Gears of War 4 and made Gears 5 the most-played Xbox Game Studios title in its first week since 2012’s Halo 4. First week performance includes the four-day early access period beginning Friday, September 6, which was exclusive to Gears 5 Ultimate Edition and Xbox Game Pass Ultimate members. On the PC, Gears 5 has nearly tripled the performance of its predecessor, becoming the biggest-ever launch for Xbox Game Pass for PC, and Xbox Game Studios’ best-ever debut on Steam.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/09/16/gears-5-breaks-records-as-biggest-launch-for-any-xbox-game-studios-game-this-generation/






A shame Astral isn't selling better, it is my GotY. The last 3 chapters in particular are fantastic. Amazing game. I really enjoyed it.



Chrkeller said:
A shame Astral isn't selling better, it is my GotY. The last 3 chapters in particular are fantastic. Amazing game. I really enjoyed it.

Astral Chain debuted at #1 and then for its second week at #11 with a pretty average 73% drop in sales. It's doing ok honestly. Not super impressive by any means. 

This is the 3rd week it's tracked. I wouldn't expect any game like that to chart. 



Gears 5 launch is probably bigger than 4's when you account for Gamepass, even if MS is surely not making as much money.



[2011] Gears of War 3 ~ 323,000

[2019] Gears 5 ~ 22,000

Amazing decline for boxed sales.