Quantcast
Best way to hook a Sega Genesis up to a modern tv?

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best way to hook a Sega Genesis up to a modern tv?

I am getting a Sega Genesis in the very near future (honestly I still have my old one but do not want to dig it out of the closet lol). What is going to be an optimal way to hook it up to a modern tv? I know some methods produce good results and others..... well not so much. I do not want to go to crazy on the price. I could be wrong but I believe my tv only has HDMI ports on it. I will check for the exact ports later as I am not at home at the moment.

 

I know HDMI adapters exist but do they product good results? I want it to be as close to the original as possible.

 

(For the record I intend to do this with an N64 as well soon so bonus for producing good results for both)



Around the Network

You'd rather buy a new one than look through your closets? How bad are your closets?

Not sure about the connections though. I know I did it for my N64 awhile back, but can't remember what cables I used. I will say though that although it didn't work at first, after I blew in the console a bit it worked. So if yours doesn't work to start with either... that's something to try.



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

I am currently using these:

Be sure to get the right cable for your Genesis.



A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of his first breath to the moment of his last.



dharh said:

I am currently using these:

 

 

Be sure to get the right cable for your Genesis.

Same...  Just don't be like me, and press a button on the box that leaves you with no signal while you wonder why the thing isn't working for 10 minutes.  I got a scart cable for all my consoles, but -DON'T- get one for PSP, you'll just end up with a blurred image that doesn't fill the screen.



dharh said:

I am currently using these:

 

 

Be sure to get the right cable for your Genesis.

Is the picture quality good with that? Thanks



Around the Network

I just use a Sony flat screen CRT. You will have much higher input lag using adapters and a modern TV. Hope you are not playing any frame sensitive games like fighters or shmups.



Look up SCART cables for the Genesis and a SCART to HDMI adapter.



rolltide101x said:
dharh said:

I am currently using these:

 

 

Be sure to get the right cable for your Genesis.

Is the picture quality good with that? Thanks

Depends on what you are looking for.  If you want better quality on a flat screen TV its pretty good.  Not the best, but unless you want to pay $500-$600 for a better upscaler it's a good option.

If you are looking for that old-school feel on a crt you just need the right cable.  Scart might still be a good option here, but you usually need a used professional CRT monitor.

RetroRGB is a good site that has good resources and gives good explenations about this stuff.



A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of his first breath to the moment of his last.



dharh said:

Depends on what you are looking for.  If you want better quality on a flat screen TV its pretty good.  Not the best, but unless you want to pay $500-$600 for a better upscaler it's a good option.

If you are looking for that old-school feel on a crt you just need the right cable.  Scart might still be a good option here, but you usually need a used professional CRT monitor.

RetroRGB is a good site that has good resources and gives good explenations about this stuff.

That was actually very helpful. Made me understand much better. Pretty much my only issue now is I want this cable but I can not find it anywhere

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161575853221?rmvSB=true

 

I am struggling to find a Genesis 1 cable with a headphone jack for the sound. (would be fine with a Genesis 2 cable that I can adapt as well)

 

I want to use that cable with this box

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scart-HDMI-to-HDMI-720P-1080P-HD-Video-Converter-Monitor-Box-For-HDTV-DVD-STB/400741908951?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649 (Gamesrader has an article about this exact box and says it does a good job for the price)

 

How are you doing the sound on your system? Thanks



rolltide101x said:
dharh said:

Depends on what you are looking for.  If you want better quality on a flat screen TV its pretty good.  Not the best, but unless you want to pay $500-$600 for a better upscaler it's a good option.

If you are looking for that old-school feel on a crt you just need the right cable.  Scart might still be a good option here, but you usually need a used professional CRT monitor.

RetroRGB is a good site that has good resources and gives good explenations about this stuff.

That was actually very helpful. Made me understand much better. Pretty much my only issue now is I want this cable but I can not find it anywhere

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161575853221?rmvSB=true

 

I am struggling to find a Genesis 1 cable with a headphone jack for the sound. (would be fine with a Genesis 2 cable that I can adapt as well)

 

I want to use that cable with this box

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scart-HDMI-to-HDMI-720P-1080P-HD-Video-Converter-Monitor-Box-For-HDTV-DVD-STB/400741908951?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649 (Gamesrader has an article about this exact box and says it does a good job for the price)

 

How are you doing the sound on your system? Thanks

You might try https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk



A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of his first breath to the moment of his last.