Quantcast
How Much Would a PC Cost with Specs similar to Scorpio.

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How Much Would a PC Cost with Specs similar to Scorpio.

Conina said:
Mafioso said:

It's going to perform more like a FuryX/Gtx1070/980ti with optimizations.

Will it play Forza Horizon 3 with more than 30 fps?

Probably not

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-what-does-it-take-to-run-forza-horizon-3-at-1080p60
It took an overclocked Core i7 and Nvidia's Titan X Pascal

FH3 wasn't optimized very well to go above 30fps. Yet that was last September, could be a very different story now.



Around the Network
Leadified said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Even if you got the route of buying a PC from a store and throwing in a good GPU, the specs won't be great for the price.

Ehhh, I wouldn't say so. You just have to look around a bit but there's decent rigs out there (CAD prices btw).

You are still talking over $600 US with that. $700 if you plan to match the scorpio



It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
Leadified said:

Ehhh, I wouldn't say so. You just have to look around a bit but there's decent rigs out there (CAD prices btw).

You are still talking over $600 US with that. $700 if you plan to match the scorpio

That's not what this comment chain was about.



Mafioso said:

Fx8320E or Fx8300 and mobo...since the latest cat cores are similar perf to Piledriver and you need 8 cores to make this comparo fair  $175

Hell no. Piledriver is significantly better than the Cat Cores.
The Cat cores are extremely shit.

Mafioso said:

Based on Forza 6 Apex 4k perf profile...a GTX 1070/980ti $350

An overclocked Geforce 1060 can do Forza 6, 4k, 60fps. All Ultra settings. That would be the starting point.



Pemalite said:
EricHiggin said:

They made up for the 12GB GDDR5 with the 12GB DDR3, so not really much price difference. The 4k BD drive would be more, but if they use the same drive between the XB1S and Scorpio, that will save them a lot with mass production, so maybe $100, $150 tops instead of $270. Plus all the accessories correct.

It puts you closer to the $600 mark anyway. They should be able to do it for close to $500 with mass production and direct purchasing. The mass production for Scorpio won't be anywhere near the XB1S numbers though, so $499 is a pretty good prediction for a retail price without taking much of a loss.

The 12GB DDR3 is a bad idea anyway. And can actually reduce performance due to the missmatched capacities. Better off with 8GB or 16GB.
8GB of System memory is enough for PC gaming at the moment... Even if you had 128GB of Ram, you still will not earn a single extra framerate if the game is still only using 6GB or less (Plus a few GB for Windows/other tasks) of memory.

The other caveat is that the PC doesn't reserve 4GB for the OS and background tasks. Windows will be happy with about 1.5GB for itself.

You could shave a good chunk off that build anyway by going with the FX 6300, ditching the optical disk (No one uses them) and having 2x4GB Ram sticks.

I wasn't concerned about how close the part PC would match the Scorpio in direct performance, only the price, without writing a novel about how GDDR5 is more expensive than DDR3 etc,etc. $600 would get you more in the ballpark, so how much cheaper XB could do it for, with direct pricing/purchasing and somewhat mass production is the real question. How much their willing to subsidize would be the next.



The Canadian National Anthem According To Justin Trudeau

 

Oh planet Earth! The home of native lands, 
True social law, in all of us demand.
With cattle farts, we view sea rise,
Our North sinking slowly.
From far and snide, oh planet Earth, 
Our healthcare is yours free!
Science save our land, harnessing the breeze,
Oh planet Earth, smoke weed and ferment yeast.
Oh planet Earth, ell gee bee queue and tee.

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
Pemalite said:

The 12GB DDR3 is a bad idea anyway. And can actually reduce performance due to the missmatched capacities. Better off with 8GB or 16GB.
8GB of System memory is enough for PC gaming at the moment... Even if you had 128GB of Ram, you still will not earn a single extra framerate if the game is still only using 6GB or less (Plus a few GB for Windows/other tasks) of memory.

The other caveat is that the PC doesn't reserve 4GB for the OS and background tasks. Windows will be happy with about 1.5GB for itself.

You could shave a good chunk off that build anyway by going with the FX 6300, ditching the optical disk (No one uses them) and having 2x4GB Ram sticks.

I wasn't concerned about how close the part PC would match the Scorpio in direct performance, only the price, without writing a novel about how GDDR5 is more expensive than DDR3 etc,etc. $600 would get you more in the ballpark, so how much cheaper XB could do it for, with direct pricing/purchasing and somewhat mass production is the real question. How much their willing to subsidize would be the next.

I'm not concerned about price either. I own a heap of consoles and a heap of PC's. I'll get Scorpio on release regardless of price.

It's interesting how this same debate always pops up with every new console release though.



HoloDust said:
Um, folks...that's not my list...as I said, that was just second link on my "Scorpio equivalent PC" search, since I was too lazy yesterday to make one of my own.

But...it seemed fairly decent for what the OP wanted..."Could help us figure out the price of the system".

Now maybe I misunderstood the purpose of the thread, but that's what I had in mind...cause that list is, more or less, balancing out, IMO, differences in price - yeah, GPU is bit weaker, but CPU is way stronger and there is 12GB of DDR3 + 4GB of GDDR5 vs 12GB of GDDR5 in Scorpio.

Plus, these are all retail prices, actual prices are way lower (I remember someone, I think it was Dahuman, posted way, way back in days, when we were speculating about what might be in PS4, some actual prices of different components that platform holders are paying).

So, again, maybe I misunderstood OP's intention, but this was not actually about PC that will run exactly the same as Scorpio, but finding out how much Scorpio might cost.

No you are wrong, the system he made has the CHEAP 4GB 480RX in it and its a gaming machine, sure cpu is more powerfull but it won't do much since the graphics card has half the memory available, a smaller memory bus, lower memory speed, less processing cores and lower amount of overall performance.

On a gaming level the pc he made will not come close to the Xbox Scorpio and will actually sit closer to the PS4 pro instead, DDR3 ram how many you put in it won't make up for the difference because its a pc the memory isn't shared and exctending memory from the VRAM to other components will slow the game down to a crawl because unlike consoles pc hardware are multiple seperate parts working togheter where the cpu and gpu are baked on one chip on all current consoles.

THere is a night and day difference between the two. if you would take a 480RX with 8GB and the best possible fan to overclock it to match the Tflops you would have a scenario where its closer, still not as good in 4K but should match the scorpio in other scenario's but he didn't do that




Twitter @CyberMalistix

malistix1985 said:
HoloDust said:
Um, folks...that's not my list...as I said, that was just second link on my "Scorpio equivalent PC" search, since I was too lazy yesterday to make one of my own.

But...it seemed fairly decent for what the OP wanted..."Could help us figure out the price of the system".

Now maybe I misunderstood the purpose of the thread, but that's what I had in mind...cause that list is, more or less, balancing out, IMO, differences in price - yeah, GPU is bit weaker, but CPU is way stronger and there is 12GB of DDR3 + 4GB of GDDR5 vs 12GB of GDDR5 in Scorpio.

Plus, these are all retail prices, actual prices are way lower (I remember someone, I think it was Dahuman, posted way, way back in days, when we were speculating about what might be in PS4, some actual prices of different components that platform holders are paying).

So, again, maybe I misunderstood OP's intention, but this was not actually about PC that will run exactly the same as Scorpio, but finding out how much Scorpio might cost.

No you are wrong, the system he made has the CHEAP 4GB 480RX in it and its a gaming machine, sure cpu is more powerfull but it won't do much since the graphics card has half the memory available, a smaller memory bus, lower memory speed, less processing cores and lower amount of overall performance.

On a gaming level the pc he made will not come close to the Xbox Scorpio and will actually sit closer to the PS4 pro instead, DDR3 ram how many you put in it won't make up for the difference because its a pc the memory isn't shared and exctending memory from the VRAM to other components will slow the game down to a crawl because unlike consoles pc hardware are multiple seperate parts working togheter where the cpu and gpu are baked on one chip on all current consoles.

THere is a night and day difference between the two. if you would take a 480RX with 8GB and the best possible fan to overclock it to match the Tflops you would have a scenario where its closer, still not as good in 4K but should match the scorpio in other scenario's but he didn't do that

Yeah...no.

Here's actually my list:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($77.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI 760GMA-P34(FX) Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($46.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($49.99 @ Corsair)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card  ($239.00 @ Jet)
Case: Zalman T2 Plus MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($25.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS40 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer  ($42.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $560.51

RX480 stands in for RX580 (~6.2TFLOPS beefed up RX480) that will launch shortly (hence $239 instead of $219 for MSI version of RX480). CPU is still better than Scorpio's. Again, $560.

But, it seems you're missing the point. This is a mental exercise about production costs for fairly similar tech to figure out how much Scorpio might cost. My guesstimate is $449...but if MS is cocky they will go with $499.



HoloDust said:

Yeah...no.

Here's actually my list:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($77.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI 760GMA-P34(FX) Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($46.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($49.99 @ Corsair)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card  ($239.00 @ Jet)
Case: Zalman T2 Plus MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($25.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS40 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer  ($42.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $560.51

RX480 stands in for RX580 (~6.2TFLOPS beefed up RX480) that will launch shortly (hence $239 instead of $219 for MSI version of RX480). CPU is still better than Scorpio's. Again, $560.

But, it seems you're missing the point. This is a mental exercise about production costs for fairly similar tech to figure out how much Scorpio might cost. My guesstimate is $449...but if MS is cocky they will go with $499.

What you made is mutch closer to the scorpio, the original discussion on the original hardware posted was just very wrong, and altough I think the scorpio will outperform the machine you made there, especially in 4K, I am also going to look at the price of the scorpio, it won't be over 500 but how close they get towards the PS4 Pro really depends on if they are willing to bleed to gain market share.

Sony has stated the PS4, Ps4 Pro and PSVR are all making a profit of the hardware, something which is really good for them since the hardware sells well either way, if Xbox wants to make a profit it will proberbly be priced at 499,- taking everything in account, their discounts but also taxes shipping and stores needing to make a profit, it will be a small profit if they have a good deal with AMD.

Either way if they are willing to bleed and price it at 399,- or 449,- and with the visual improvements the scorpio WILL deliver because of the 4k textures used on both 1080P and 4K screens it might finally indicate a small "comeback" for xbox. altough ps4 will still beat the xbox worldwide, no questions asked, they might reclaim the marketshare in the US.

It will be very interesting and I am sure we will have the answer @ E3, the main costs for Microsoft are the cooling, UHD drive and expensive memory apart from that it shouldn't be anything ground breaking in forms of cost, please also note they are adding a controller to the package, something that should be concidered in the price.




Twitter @CyberMalistix

malistix1985 said:

No you are wrong, the system he made has the CHEAP 4GB 480RX in it and its a gaming machine, sure cpu is more powerfull but it won't do much since the graphics card has half the memory available, a smaller memory bus, lower memory speed, less processing cores and lower amount of overall performance.

Are you suggesting that Scorpio will use all 8GB of memory just for graphics?

But you are right. Scorpio will dwarf a Radeon 480. But a Radeon 480 isn't exactly high-end. It's mid-range. Arguing which mid-range GPU is better is pretty comedic.
Vega will be a big step up from Scorpio... And yet. All of those cards fail in comparison to what nVidia is offering in the High-End.

With that, two Radeon 470's or 480's should beat Scorpio.

malistix1985 said:

On a gaming level the pc he made will not come close to the Xbox Scorpio and will actually sit closer to the PS4 pro instead, DDR3 ram how many you put in it won't make up for the difference because its a pc the memory isn't shared and exctending memory from the VRAM to other components will slow the game down to a crawl because unlike consoles pc hardware are multiple seperate parts working togheter where the cpu and gpu are baked on one chip on all current consoles.

THere is a night and day difference between the two. if you would take a 480RX with 8GB and the best possible fan to overclock it to match the Tflops you would have a scenario where its closer, still not as good in 4K but should match the scorpio in other scenario's but he didn't do that

It really won't.
Also using Teraflops in that context is useless.