Quantcast
The real reasons behind mid-gen refreshes

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The real reasons behind mid-gen refreshes

Biggest reason for mid-gen refresh

4K tvs 55 24.66%
 
Have the most powerful console 18 8.07%
 
Competition with PC (Steam) 33 14.80%
 
Make money from double dipping 92 41.26%
 
No more generations going forth 13 5.83%
 
Other 12 5.38%
 
Total:223

It's only a way to spur interest in their investment. If Sony wants to retain gamers in their ecosystem by releasing a more powerful version of their PS4, MS doesn't care if people migrates to PC or not. What we have here is two different approaches. They will hop on the 4K bandwagon because they don't want to be left behind, they will also hop on the VR bandwagon, on the game streaming bandwagon just like they hopped on the gesture controller bandwagon.

Create interest in their consoles by using newer technology available is imo the reason they create these mid gen consoles. If Sony didn't want people to migrate to PC they wouldn't release PSNow with PS4 games on PC. Same as MS wouldn't come up with the Play Anywhere program.



Around the Network
Jazz2K said:
It's only a way to spur interest in their investment. If Sony wants to retain gamers in their ecosystem by releasing a more powerful version of their PS4, MS doesn't care if people migrates to PC or not. What we have here is two different approaches. They will hop on the 4K bandwagon because they don't want to be left behind, they will also hop on the VR bandwagon, on the game streaming bandwagon just like they hopped on the gesture controller bandwagon.

Create interest in their consoles by using newer technology available is imo the reason they create these mid gen consoles. If Sony didn't want people to migrate to PC they wouldn't release PSNow with PS4 games on PC. Same as MS wouldn't come up with the Play Anywhere program.

Ofcourse they care. XBL and PS+ are cash cows. Gamers that go to PC don't need to pay for online and can just as easily buy games without giving MS a cut in the windows 10 store.

Yet there's always more money to be made including PC as well. MS wants to promote windows 10, hence play anywhere. (which is just windows 10 + xbox one) Sony doesn't have an OS to promote, for them PS Now works. That can actually work anywhere and makes money on its own, while the best experience is still to be found on console.



SvennoJ said:
Jazz2K said:
It's only a way to spur interest in their investment. If Sony wants to retain gamers in their ecosystem by releasing a more powerful version of their PS4, MS doesn't care if people migrates to PC or not. What we have here is two different approaches. They will hop on the 4K bandwagon because they don't want to be left behind, they will also hop on the VR bandwagon, on the game streaming bandwagon just like they hopped on the gesture controller bandwagon.

Create interest in their consoles by using newer technology available is imo the reason they create these mid gen consoles. If Sony didn't want people to migrate to PC they wouldn't release PSNow with PS4 games on PC. Same as MS wouldn't come up with the Play Anywhere program.

Ofcourse they care. XBL and PS+ are cash cows. Gamers that go to PC don't need to pay for online and can just as easily buy games without giving MS a cut in the windows 10 store.

Yet there's always more money to be made including PC as well. MS wants to promote windows 10, hence play anywhere. (which is just windows 10 + xbox one) Sony doesn't have an OS to promote, for them PS Now works. That can actually work anywhere and makes money on its own, while the best experience is still to be found on console.

I kinda agree that they want most people to pay for both PSN and XBLive because these services generate lots of money and the big goal here would be to convinve PC gamers to pay for these services... which I doubt will ever happen.

But let's not forget they make more money when people buy games and then buy DLCs than just paying for Xbox Live or PSN.



Sells other tech sony need to take off, X1 is just following suit to try and reclaim more market share. Nintendo do it just to let the costumer know they own you and Apple to it with tech because people are fickle and stupid.



 

Jazz2K said:

I kinda agree that they want most people to pay for both PSN and XBLive because these services generate lots of money and the big goal here would be to convinve PC gamers to pay for these services... which I doubt will ever happen.

But let's not forget they make more money when people buy games and then buy DLCs than just paying for Xbox Live or PSN.

True, but only if they buy from the windows 10 store. (Unless it's 1st party ofcourse) Multiplat games sell very little on the windows 10 store, better to keep those gamers on the XBox One then trying to make money from them on the PC.



Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Jazz2K said:

I kinda agree that they want most people to pay for both PSN and XBLive because these services generate lots of money and the big goal here would be to convinve PC gamers to pay for these services... which I doubt will ever happen.

But let's not forget they make more money when people buy games and then buy DLCs than just paying for Xbox Live or PSN.

True, but only if they buy from the windows 10 store. (Unless it's 1st party ofcourse) Multiplat games sell very little on the windows 10 store, better to keep those gamers on the XBox One then trying to make money from them on the PC.

I think MS will be more patient this time with Windows 10 Store. When there are more AAA games in the store people will slowly get in. Just like EA Access the more games in the vault, the tougher it is to resist when you have and X1. Also Game Pass will also be on PC once there are enough games in the store.



The biggest reason for me has to be making money for double dipping,



/end thread



I think it's mostly due to changing consumer expectations. The phone and tablet market - and the DS ecosystem - have made users accustomed to more frequent hardware updates. Things seem older, quicker now. PS4 Pro is the "s" of PlayStation's iPhone cycle.



RolStoppable said:
LurkerJ said:
You are right, of course. PC game is getting more affordable and accessible every year, and with the big three charging for online, it's foolish not consider it as THE cheaper alternative.

SONY specifically said the same thing at one point but little attention was paid to their statements.

"There's a dip mid-console lifecycle where the players who want the very best graphical experience will start to migrate to PC, because that's obviously where it's to be had," House told the publication. "We wanted to keep those people within our eco-system by giving them the very best and very highest [performance quality]."

You are 50% correct.

Sony said it themselves, the PC is the reason for the PS4 Pro. PlayStation is PC gaming. Xbox is PC gaming as well.

Now this is where you are wrong.

Nintendo is not PC gaming, therefore PCs do not work as substitutes. This means that Nintendo does not need a mid-gen refresh for their hardware to make all previous and future Switch games look better, because the main reasons to buy Nintendo hardware aren't available on any other platform.

Nintendo doesn't need a defensive strategy against the PC. Sony needs it. Microsoft is fine either way, because most computers are going to use Windows; hence why Xbox won't even get exclusive games anymore, because it's not important enough.

I obviously agree, and with the Switch, Nintendo is objectively offering irreplaceable software and hardware experience in one single product.