Quantcast
Final Fantasy VI vs VII

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy VI vs VII

Which do you prefer of the two?

Final Fantasy VI (III in North America) 220 50.00%
 
Final Fantasy VII 173 39.32%
 
Undecided/Don't care 47 10.68%
 
Total:440
twesterm said:

Even in 1997 FFVII was a generic game in terns if character and story. The only thing it had going for it was graphics which was fine in 1997 but has aged terribly.

FFVI on the other hand broke grounds in characters and storytelling while still holding up today as a beautiful looking game.

Nostalgia is a fantastic thing but it does a cloud judgment.  Have someone that has never played FFVI or VII play both today and I promise you they will hate VII.  VI, on the other hand, will be a much more intesting story.

I was one of those people who had never played it up until about a year or 2 ago and I vastly prefer VII. Came in blind going into both and, yeah... dunno, VI bored me. I never felt enticed to even beat the game, it was just... meh. VI was decent for its time I guess XD I'd always take VII over VI though. 



Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:
sc94597 said:
deskpro2k3 said:
sc94597 said:

 

So it is innovative because it had more mini-games than its predecessors? Ok... It reminds me of the people who buy GTA V to do yoga or play tennis lol. 


many of those weren't just mini games. you had to do those activities to progress through the story..

They're still considered mini-games even if they are mandatory. Just like the opera scene or GOOD fish/bad fish in Final Fantasy VI. They are breaks in the games usual gameplay for something else, regardless of whether or not they're optional. They aren't anything new to the series either. There just are many of them in VII. In my opinion that is a negative against VII, but to each their own, because I'd rather have more of the core gameplay. 


There is nothing more inconic than Gold Saucer. (A theme park that is making its way onto FFXIV I might add) Oh there is much more than just mini games in FFVII. Its impossible for me to explain it all because FFVII didn't start with Cloud, but that is events that happened before FFVII. it just proves how deep the core gameplay is.

I've played the game, and I know exactly about everything you're talking about. I still don't see how any of it is innovative. Gold Saucer just condensed a lot of things in one place, which is a good idea and is very atmospheric, but not innovative. In other final fantasy games these things were found all around the world, and some of them were integral to the story as well. In the case of VI you have the opera scene and colleseum, to name two. Nevertheless, even if it is iconic, this isn't something I'd say is so vastly innovative that it set the game apart from others. Especially in the PS era, when there a plethora of so many more innovative JRPG's to be found. 



sc94597 said:
 

I've played the game, and I know exactly about everything you're talking about. I still don't see how any of it is innovative. Gold Saucer just condensed a lot of things in one place, which is a good idea and is very atmospheric, but not innovative. In other final fantasy games these things were found all around the world, and some of them were integral to the story as well. In the case of VI you have the opera scene and colleseum, to name two. Nevertheless, even if it is iconic, this isn't something I'd say is so vastly innovative that it set the game apart from others. Especially in the PS era, when there a plethora of so many more innovative JRPG's to be found. 

edit:

If you don't find any of these innovative, then I think you're just downplaying the game, or the storyline of FFVII just didn't resonate with you.

  • 3D Graphics for a Role Playing Game
  • Limit Break
  • FMV/CG quality cutscenes
  • Identifiable protagonist
  • Diverse Party Members
  • Death of Party Member
  • Use of language
  • Weird situations
  • Conjuring of emotions within the player
  • Gameplay Mechanic with the Materia System
  • Mini games/Chocobo Raising/Breeding/Racing/Snowboarding/Submarine


twesterm said:

Even in 1997 FFVII was a generic game in terns if character and story. The only thing it had going for it was graphics which was fine in 1997 but has aged terribly.

FFVI on the other hand broke grounds in characters and storytelling while still holding up today as a beautiful looking game.

Nostalgia is a fantastic thing but it does a cloud judgment.  Have someone that has never played FFVI or VII play both today and I promise you they will hate VII.  VI, on the other hand, will be a much more intesting story.


The first time I played and finished FF7 was in 2010 on my PS3 but guess what? it's tied with FF6 as my third best video game of all time. So much for your promises lol.



sc94597 said:

I like your post. As it seems fairly balanced. Question though, how was VII any more innovative than VI? Remember, VI was a steampunk world, VII a cyberpunk one. Before that FF was generic medevial only. Or are you talking about something else? 

Thank you :)


I've already clarified that. Being 3D and fully animated in itself is innovation and a step forward to the series. That early in the generation, Square could've kept it 2D or opted for a pseudo-3d effect like Suikoden's but they didn't and I admire them for that (not saying Suikoden was a bad game! I actually prefer the 2nd one over all FF games except 4, 6 and 7 but the first Suikoden just wasn't ballsy enough imo)

Going 3D, animating characters and enemies, materia system, limit, solid implementation of diverse mini games and sidequests all make for something significantly different from FF6 without completely ditching the series' traditions.



Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:
sc94597 said:
 

I've played the game, and I know exactly about everything you're talking about. I still don't see how any of it is innovative. Gold Saucer just condensed a lot of things in one place, which is a good idea and is very atmospheric, but not innovative. In other final fantasy games these things were found all around the world, and some of them were integral to the story as well. In the case of VI you have the opera scene and colleseum, to name two. Nevertheless, even if it is iconic, this isn't something I'd say is so vastly innovative that it set the game apart from others. Especially in the PS era, when there a plethora of so many more innovative JRPG's to be found. 

edit:

If you don't find any of these innovative, then I think you're just downplaying the game, or the storyline of FFVII just didn't resonate with you.

  • 3D Graphics for a Role Playing Game
  • Limit Break
  • FMV/CG quality cutscenes
  • Identifiable protagonist
  • Diverse Party Members
  • Death of Party Member
  • Use of language
  • Weird situations
  • Conjuring of emotions within the player
  • Gameplay Mechanic with the Materia System
  • Mini games/Chocobo Raising/Breeding/Racing/Snowboarding/Submarine

There's an identifiable protagonist in Final Fantasy IV - Cecil. Diverse party members are a Final Fantasy staple lol. The first final fantasy to have a playable character die is Final Fantasy II.  Use of language? What does that mean? Weird situations? Foudn in all final fantasy games. Conjuring of emotions within the player. Sorry, but all Final Fantasy games before VII were acclaimed for this, certain ones like IV and VI especially. Material System, yes however each game has its own new addition to the battle system. Mini Games, I'd give you that. 

As for 3D (and this applies to Kyuu as well) I only really see it as innovative if it drastically affects gameplay as it did in games like LoZ and Mario. Otherwise, it is just the next step in development. In the case of VII it was primarily a graphical feature, not a gameplay device (the camera is not 3d.) 



Kyuu said:

Going 3D, animating characters and enemies, materia system, limit, solid implementation of diverse mini games and sidequests all make for something significantly different from FF6 without completely ditching the series' traditions.

Yes, these are all significantly different from FF6 as a package, but FF6 was significantly different from FF5 (and FF4) for many of the same reasons and others - as a package. I fail to see how Final Fantasy VII, other than graphics and a focus on cinematics (goes hand in hand with CD format), is any more different from I-V than VI was. 



If either of the teams met one another in the wild and had a reason to fight, would FF VI or FF VII win?  Let's find out!  The winner of this battle shall be named champion once and for all!  Are you ready?

FF VI vs FF VII - Battle



I really prefer the setting of VII, one of the best settings of any game I've played.

With a level head though, FF VI is for me the better game in every other department.



RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

darkknightkryta said:
twesterm said:

Even in 1997 FFVII was a generic game in terns if character and story. The only thing it had going for it was graphics which was fine in 1997 but has aged terribly.

FFVI on the other hand broke grounds in characters and storytelling while still holding up today as a beautiful looking game.

Nostalgia is a fantastic thing but it does a cloud judgment.  Have someone that has never played FFVI or VII play both today and I promise you they will hate VII.  VI, on the other hand, will be a much more intesting story.

Holy shit I thought you were dead!  O_O

Very much alive. :)

Up until Saturday my main internet browsing machine was an iPad which didn't work so well on this site. Now I have a fancy surface pro 3 so I can do stuff again!