Quantcast
Nintendo not replacing WiiU for at least a few more years! ~Iwata

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo not replacing WiiU for at least a few more years! ~Iwata

2017?

yes 200 54.35%
 
no 77 20.92%
 
see foolish answers 90 24.46%
 
Total:367
spemanig said:
superchunk said:
spemanig said:
I still think they'll release a cheaper redesign of the Wii U.

Why? I provided supporting logic for my statement.


...Because the current one isn't selling and there's a precident for Nintendo product redesigns? Logic.

I can see the possibility of them releasing a paired down version in the future, but not because the current one isn't selling. The second iteration of the Wii came minus the Gamecube backwards compatability towards the end of its life cycle. Then there was the Wii mini, which, if memory serves correctly, was released after the Wii U was released.



Around the Network

5 years of hard support is more or less what a company needs to provide to consumers to maintain goodwill when it comes to game consoles.

While the Wii U is never going to be a huge commercial success, it should bring some confidence to current owners and potential buyers that Nintendo won't resort to simply abandoning the platform.

2017 falls right in line with reasonable expectations and support.



superchunk said:
generic-user-1 said:

thats true.  but i still dont think they will keep the basic version. 8gb is just to little space...

THey dropped that version a long time ago. 32GB is all that there is now.

i was thinking the same, but after x-mas i saw many new white wii us  appear in shops. and it was the old price.



generic-user-1 said:
superchunk said:
generic-user-1 said:

thats true.  but i still dont think they will keep the basic version. 8gb is just to little space...

THey dropped that version a long time ago. 32GB is all that there is now.

i was thinking the same, but after x-mas i saw many new white wii us  appear in shops. and it was the old price.

Almost postive I saw 8GB Wii Us at my WalMart the other day as well



greenmedic88 said:
5 years of hard support is more or less what a company needs to provide to consumers to maintain goodwill when it comes to game consoles.

While the Wii U is never going to be a huge commercial success, it should bring some confidence to current owners and potential buyers that Nintendo won't resort to simply abandoning the platform.

2017 falls right in line with reasonable expectations and support.


Except that's really a load of crock honestly. 

The DS is Nintendo's most successful platform ever, and it came after cutting off the GBA after 3 1/2 years, and that was a faaaaaaaar more successful platform than the Wii U could ever dream of being. 

The XBox 360 is Microsoft's most successful console venture to date and that came after cutting off the XBox after 4 years. 

Even the Wii, Nintendo's most successful console came really after they basically abandoned the GameCube and left it for dead for most of 2005 and pretty much all of 2006. Mario Party 7 was their big holiday GameCube game for 2005, lol. They bailed out on that system, lets be honest.

Saying Nintendo supported the GameCube for a full 5 years is like saying a couple that was married for 5 years, but only lived together for maybe 3 1/2 of those years had a nice 5 year marriage. Only on paper. 

3 years is actually probably the minimum amount of support people want for a platform. Sega really screwed this because they released Sega CD in 1992, 32X in November 1994, and Saturn in April/May 1995. No one would've complained if the 32X got 3 years of support. 



Around the Network
spemanig said:


It's not selling. I obviously know that it's selling something. It's not sell "just not really well." It's sales are abysmal. Shameful. Terrible. Atrocious. Bad.

Marginal isn't good enough when your system is selling as poorly as the Wii U. I love Smash and Kart, but they aren't going to change people's minds about the thing if their minds are already made up. I don't think the Wii U's not worth $300, but the vast majority do. Nintendo can't afford to cut the price as is. Releasing a cheaper Wii U along side the original with cheaper parts and, sorry, no gamepad would allow them to sell the system for cheaper while acrewing more profit. Bundle that with a redesigned pro controller plus with new NFC capabilities and a software patch update, and they have the Wii U's version of the 2DS, only more people would buy this one.

Nintendo has also never posted three years in a row of losses. We need to get out of the mindset that the Wii U will have a "long life." I still think their new hardware will be out by 2016. Nintendo's not going to say that the Wii U is ending soon. That would be stupid. No one would buy a console with an expiration date, but there is one.

Wii U will get great games. It's a great console, but it's stupid to keep thinking that a company as big as Nintendo will continue a console expected to sell 3 million units in the next year for many years to come. You can't even say it's the new Dreamcast. It's selling less than that. Nintendo is not even expecting it to outsell the Dreamcast by this time next year. That kind of failure can't be allowed to continue "because it's finally starting to sell at a profit."

Two Wii U models. Side by side. Wii U Deluxe includes the Gamepad as per usual for $300. "Wii U Pro" includes Pro controller and no gamepad for $200. Gamepads are now sold separately for like $100. Both sell at a profit. Nintendo pleases everyone. The end.

I'm going to basically repeat part of my OP as it completely answers your entire point.

EVEN WITH NO GAMES WII U IS NOW MAKING MONEY. That means if it sells 4m a year for the next two years, that is still a profitable venture even with a zero game attach rate. Of course that won't happen so they'll make really good money, especially when MK8 and SSB and more than like this new NFC figurine platform.

Fact is that it makes more sense to make money now on what is out there AND not piss off your actual paying customers while proving that you will always stand behind your products so others will hopefully jump in or definitely consider jumping in when you do decide to move on.

Its also absurd to think a console that requires the gamepad to fully work amd has a new game being shown at E3 to prove its gameplay value will be altered to release without a gamepad.

Wii U as is, with only possible change being increased memory/better battery for gamepad/more bundled game options... will remain as is for now.



http://www.saturn.de/mcs/product/NINTENDO-Wii-U-Just-Dance-2014-Basic-Pack-wei%C3%9F---Nintendo-Land,48352,419220,1048218.html?langId=-3

the white one is alive.



generic-user-1 said:

i was thinking the same, but after x-mas i saw many new white wii us  appear in shops. and it was the old price.

I have only seen the 8GB in the skylanders bundle. A limited bundle during xmas. Haven't seen an old 8GB stand alone set in over 7 or 8 months.



superchunk said:
generic-user-1 said:

i was thinking the same, but after x-mas i saw many new white wii us  appear in shops. and it was the old price.

I have only seen the 8GB in the skylanders bundle. A limited bundle during xmas. Haven't seen an old 8GB stand alone set in over 7 or 8 months.


lol, "limited" in what sense, my Best Buy has like a mini-mountain of unsold Skylanders Wii U bundles and we're well into May. They even cut the price down to $239.99 (I think it was even $219.99 for a couple of weeks). 



Soundwave said:

Except that's really a load of crock honestly. 

The DS is Nintendo's most successful platform ever, and it came after cutting off the GBA after 3 1/2 years, and that was a faaaaaaaar more successful platform than the Wii U could ever dream of being. 

The XBox 360 is Microsoft's most successful console venture to date and that came after cutting off the XBox after 4 years. 

Even the Wii, Nintendo's most successful console came really after they basically abandoned the GameCube and left it for dead for most of 2005 and pretty much all of 2006. Mario Party 7 was their big holiday GameCube game for 2005, lol. They bailed out on that system, lets be honest.

Saying Nintendo supported the GameCube for a full 5 years is like saying a couple that was married for 5 years, but only lived together for maybe 3 1/2 of those years had a nice 5 year marriage. Only on paper. 

3 years is actually probably the minimum amount of support people want for a platform. Sega really screwed this because they released Sega CD in 1992, 32X in November 1994, and Saturn in April/May 1995. No one would've complained if the 32X got 3 years of support. 

DS was not intended as a replacement for GBA. It was supposed to be a third pillar as GBA was fully supported by Nintendo 1st party games for years after DS launched.

This would be same idea if the curious QOL device came out soon. Its intended to be another product line, not replace anything existing.