Quantcast
I'm a Graphics Whore, and I'm not alone.........

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I'm a Graphics Whore, and I'm not alone.........

Are you a Graphics Whore ?

No way. 27 15.52%
 
Yes and proud. 58 33.33%
 
I don't care, bring back the Dreamcast. 9 5.17%
 
Gameplay is King. 79 45.40%
 
Total:173

No. I understand that some people are very interested in getting the best resolution, frame rate, physics, lighting, etc., and I totally respect that. It's just not what video games are about to me. Sure, a game needs a reliable engine with appropriate physics, lighting, and AI, but it also needs a solid foundation of rules and mechanics that create interesting gameplay. I'm not suggesting the two are mutually exclusive, I'm just saying that the way in which a game is played is far more important than the way it looks and performs.

Let me put it another way: pretty graphics never turned a bad game great, but there are many instances where good gameplay made an ugly game great.



Around the Network

Nah, I'll take game-play any day over graphics



disolitude said:
lucidium said:
disolitude said:
lucidium said:

 

if you want to see what a real graphics whores pc looks like,  look inside mine,  bens,  permalites or cgiqualitys rig. 


Any pics of these PCs on this site? If you are drawing attention to these rigs I expect well thought out custom watercooling or badass custom case mods...

No water AIO's or stock but factory "overclocked" GPUs need apply.

i am running so much gpu power that my 3970X cpu is bottlenecking them,  i would thus gain nothing from overclocking the gpus,  cpu is clocked at 5ghz stable on a modified h100i closed loop cooler,  all out custom watercooling is not required and in fact limits the flexibility of your system greatly,  you cant for example easilly swap out graphics cards or add more as doing so would mean adding or removing them from your water loop,  or buying new blocks to fit the different die types. 

 

looking at it a different way,  we have sleepers,  cars that look normal from the outside but are super tuned under the hood,  many of the flashy water cooled pcs you see with lights and vents and water tanks are more often than not mid to high end and not super high end,  so those in the car world would be the flashy bodykitted cara that get smashed by the sleeper. 


Haha fair enough.

I personally don't see it as "flashy cars" vs sleepers but more like doing something cool, unique and worthwhile with the equipment you buy vs just blowing money on expensive parts and calling it a day. But I understand your point of view as well...you just want power but don't want to tinker.

Luckily I have completely outgrown my "moar powah" PC phase, but while I was building shit I build dozens of PCs, all of which were unique in some way and different than what you could buy off the shelf.

I shared a lot of this stuff on VGchartz back in the day... For example, my first true watercooling PC build - http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130806&page=1

I built 2 more after for other people that turned out a lot better.

Or the racing setup I built 100% myself using PVC pipes - http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=117347

It turned out 10X better than Playseat you could buy at the time

 

Today if I wasn't so busy I'd probably build a fully watercooled mATX build that has SLI Titan Blacks, x99 platform (when it comes out) in the smallest chasis humanly possible. Now that would be a fun challenge...

to point something out,  those four 780ti's are what i put in my wifes pc yesterday. 

my main pc is running something a little...  faster ;) 



lucidium said:

 

to point something out,  those four 780ti's are what i put in my wifes pc yesterday. 

my main pc is running something a little...  faster ;) 


lol..you're nuts. Unless its mATX setup where you somehow custom installed two 295x2 in quad crossfire, in which case you're a genious...



I love good graphics, I think everyone does. I just don't let bad graphics get in the way of playing a good game. My most anticipated Xbox One and PS4 title right now is Minecraft!!!



Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
No. I understand that some people are very interested in getting the best resolution, frame rate, physics, lighting, etc., and I totally respect that. It's just not what video games are about to me. Sure, a game needs a reliable engine with appropriate physics, lighting, and AI, but it also needs a solid foundation of rules and mechanics that create interesting gameplay. I'm not suggesting the two are mutually exclusive, I'm just saying that the way in which a game is played is far more important than the way it looks and performs.

Let me put it another way: pretty graphics never turned a bad game great, but there are many instances where good gameplay made an ugly game great.

i agree somewhat,  but conversely,  a bad game is bad regardless of graphics and a good game is better with better graphics,  so theyre hand in hand. 

take that ugly game that was great and give it great graphics and what you end up with is an even better game. 

 

with that said,  a large majority of the games on pc are also on console so the gameplay is largely the same only with in most cases better graphics,  at the same time theres instances like with minecraft where the pc version is superior in every concievable way. 

 

the other point is,  people buy new consoles for new games,  in many cases the old games cannot be played,  and when they can,  thus far any graphical improvements made to backwards compatibility are mostly down to filtering and not any major change. 

with pc 95% of its lifetime games library get a boost each time you upgrade,  even games you played back in the ps1/ps2 era will look and run better. 

people say gameplay is more important than graphics as if pc versions somehow have different ganeplay for the same games. 



disolitude said:
lucidium said:

 

to point something out,  those four 780ti's are what i put in my wifes pc yesterday. 

my main pc is running something a little...  faster ;) 


lol..you're nuts. Unless its mATX setup where you somehow custom installed two 295x2 in quad crossfire, in which case you're a genious...

3x titan black,  1x tesla k20x



The Witcher 3 and The Division has me stoked............ OMG, can't wait.



lucidium said:
disolitude said:
lucidium said:

 

to point something out,  those four 780ti's are what i put in my wifes pc yesterday. 

my main pc is running something a little...  faster ;) 


lol..you're nuts. Unless its mATX setup where you somehow custom installed two 295x2 in quad crossfire, in which case you're a genious...

3x titan black,  1x tesla k20x

You can't be doing this for gaming alone but most likely rendering or some commercial purpose right? If this is for gaming only, man that is a lot of waste...unless you are running 4K nvidia surround or something crazy like that...

When it comes to gaming, I personally find it more impressive when someone takes a run of the mill lower end hardware, and overvolts and overclocks them bannanas to get to desired frame rates or performance they are looking for. Its the difference between "I have money to pay for cool things" and "I can do cool stuff with cool things".

I remember few years ago when a buddy of mine had $300 bucks to build a PC that would run current games and the sales we were looking for, overclocking we did and results we ended up with were quite mindblowing.



lucidium said:
Dallinor said:
lucidium said:

its clear cut for a reason,  real geaphics whores stick to pc -  they can upgrade to their hearts content for the best graphics,  dont confuse owning a low to mid spec pc aa autonatically being a graphics whore. 

 

if you want to see what a real graphics whores pc looks like,  look inside mine,  bens,  permalites or cgiqualitys rig. 

That's like saying you aren't a cinephile if you don't own a home theatre system, or you're not a bibliophile if you don't have a library of books at home. 

Not owning something is not the same as not wanting or enjoying it.

no im simply saying owning a toyota camry doesnt make you a speed freak,  because a speed freak would buy something faster. 

 

graphics whore denotes someone that goes all out for the best possible graphics,  hence the 'whore'  bit,  you confusing someone that appreciates good graphics but doesnt necessarily own a high end pc,  with a graphics whore who invariably is called a whore explicitly BECAUSE they go all out on their build. 

And if you can't, you aren't? Does not compute.

Perhaps your definiton of a graphics whore is different to mine.

The way I see it a graphics whore is a person who percieves graphics in games to be of paramount importance, over all other aspects.  It doesn't matter if they only own a gameboy colour, if they value things that way, that's what they are.



A thing of beauty, strength, and grace lies behind that whiskered face.