...Just asking. Most people don't call Gears of War and Halo an action adventure game. I don't call Killzone, Call of Duty, Resistance, Counter Strike, Day of Defeat, SOCOM, etc. action adventure games. I call them FPS/TPS games.
Subgenres of Action-Adventure games:
Although action-adventure games are diverse and difficult to classify, there are some distinct sub-genres. Popular sub-genres include:
- First-person action-adventure, which make use of first-person shooter gameplay, forgoing constant action in favor of important adventure game elements such as environmental problem-solving and a complex plot. These are sometimes called Real-Time Adventure games or RTAs for short. A notable example of this is Metroid Prime and System Shock.
- Third-person action-adventure, in which gameplay is in the third-person. Notable examples include games like Tomb Raider series, The Legend of Zelda series, Rune, Severance: Blade of Darkness, Grand Theft Auto series, and Hitman series.
- Isometric platform games, which feature freely explorable environments with three-dimensional gameplay and two-dimensional graphics using an isometric projection.
- Sandbox, which focus on nonlinear gameplay in an open world. Notable examples include Assassin's Creed and the Grand Theft Auto series.
- Platform-adventure games, which emphasize both exploration and puzzle solving, but also feature traditional platform game conventions. Examples of games of this type are Tomb Raider series, Banjo-Kazooie the Metroidvania games.
- Stealth games, which emphasize avoiding detection by enemies rather than engaging them in direct combat, leading to a greater emphasis on exploration and puzzle-solving than other types of action games.
- Survival horror games, which emphasize "inventory management" and making sure the player has enough ammunition and recovery items to "survive" the horror setting. Survival-horror is a thematic genre with diverse gameplay, however, so not all survival horror games share these features. The Resident Evil franchise popularized this sub-genre and stands to date as the most popular franchise of its kind.
Do you have fun playing a console different than mine?