Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Prime trilogy director: 'Everything we do sucks'

Metroid Prime trilogy director: 'Everything we do sucks'
April 22, 2013 7:28AM PDT
Eddie Makuch
By Eddie Makuch, News Editor

Ex-Retro director Mark Pacini says all he sees is the bad things with past games, hopes fans will enjoy the Super Metroid-style Batman Arkham game from Armature Studios.

The Metroid Prime trilogy was praised by critics, but from the vantage point of director Mark Pacini, the games "sucked."

Speaking to Game Informer, the industry veteran--who left Retro Studios in 2008 after eight years with the company to open Armature Studios--offered a raw critique of Metroid Primehttp://www.gamespot.com/metroid-prime-2-echoes/">Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, andMetroid Prime 3: Corruption.

 

"I think everything we do sucks," Pacini said. "But that’s just me because I thought all the Prime games suck. At the end of the day all I see are all the bad things. Prime 2 was a blur to me. It was so quick, it was so fast. That thing just went out the door and it was a very divisive game. People either liked it or thought it sucked, and I can completely agree because I couldn't tell you what that game was because it happened so quickly. Prime 1 was the best designed game. Prime 3 I feel is the most fun one to play. Prime 2 is divisive. You either like it or you don't. That’s kind of the way I look at it."

Now with Armature Studios, Pacini and his team are working with Warner Bros. on Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate, a Super Metroid-style game for 3DS and PlayStation Vita. He said his mindset is the same with this game; though he wants fans to enjoy it, all he can see now is the "crap" that's wrong with it.

"It is the same thing here with the Arkham game. All I see at this point, because we are knee deep, we're in the woods right now in development, and all I see is all the crap that's wrong with it," Pacini said. "In my gut I feel like, yeah, it’s going to be cool. I’m excited for it. But at the same time, I hope we don’t disappoint people and I hope that they like it. We’re trying our hardest. I would like to play a game like this, so hopefully everyone else will, too."

Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate will launch October 25 alongside theXbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC game developed by WB Games Montreal.




An Unbiased Review                Breaking News!  Naughty Dog Third Party!          

Around the Network

I thought he was bashing the Prime games at 1st and then I realized he's just kinda being humble.

Watch this game bomb on the 3DS though when Nintendo decides to make Super Metroid 2 or something. (I fear this may happen.) And further alienate western studios. "Oh you're making a Metroidvania game? Well we have Super Metroid 2 so good luck selling your thing.)



 Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Otakumegane said:
I thought he was bashing the Prime games at 1st and then I realized he's just kinda being humble.

Watch this game bomb on the 3DS though when Nintendo decides to make Super Metroid 2 or something. (I fear this may happen.)


OMG!  DDDDD= METROID PRIME: HUNTERS 2! METROID PRIME: HUNTERS 2!! MAKE IT HAPPENZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!



I suppose most people are like that in there profession, an artist will always spot mistake with his picture. But to flat out call it "crap" is a bit of a stretch

I say 73 Meta Score for Blackgate

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Around the Network
Maybe he should see a therapist...

KHlover said:
Maybe he should see a therapist...


Yeah... You know you are having career issues when you think that everything you work on sucks.

 

Maybe he needs a new job...



One of my friends is the same way about his art, he's really good but he only sees the flaws in his work. It part of what makes him so good. He's a perfectionist. This developer exhibits the same traits.

Wright said:
Otakumegane said:
I thought he was bashing the Prime games at 1st and then I realized he's just kinda being humble.

Watch this game bomb on the 3DS though when Nintendo decides to make Super Metroid 2 or something. (I fear this may happen.)


OMG!  DDDDD= METROID PRIME: HUNTERS 2! METROID PRIME: HUNTERS 2!! MAKE IT HAPPENZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!


MP:Hunters sucked. Altho I agree that the 3DS has the potential of giving us the MP:H we deserve. 

As for the OT, I thought Prime2 was better than Prime3 imo. But I have a spoiler for this guy, he will never ever work on a game that is half as good as Prime, so he better get used to the fact that these ''sucky games'' were the pinnacle of his career (and what a pinnacle it was imo)



 

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

 

Around the Network
Metrium said:


MP:Hunters sucked. Altho I agree that the 3DS has the potential of giving us the MP:H we deserve. 

As for the OT, I thought Prime2 was better than Prime3 imo. But I have a spoiler for this guy, he will never ever work on a game that is half as good as Prime, so he better get used to the fact that these ''sucky games'' were the pinnacle of his career (and what a pinnacle it was imo)


MP:H was awesome :(  Probably one of the best competitive-multiplayer title from Nintendo.