Quantcast
Locked: Breaking News!DS tops PS2 and becomes No.1 WORLDWIDE!

Forums - Sales Discussion - Breaking News!DS tops PS2 and becomes No.1 WORLDWIDE!

kitler53 said:
Khuutra said:
Reasonable said:

The DS is a handheld.  A great one, I've bought two myself, but it's comparing a handheld to a home console.  I just don't find a handheld managing to sell more than a home console particularly impressive - if anything I guess I'm surprised it doesn't happen all the time.

I may just not get the demographics of handhelds right - or perhaps their growth has been slowed by smart phones, etc. this gen vs the general rise in gaming industry, but so far as I can see in theory they should sell more than consoles easily, particularly due to families.  I know friends who buy one console then four handhelds because they have four kids.  Really handhelds should have a huge advantage in potential userbase as they tend to be one to one for owners whereas many consoles are one to many for users.

Maybe I'm missing something.

The element that you're missing is that theorizing concerning the reason behind handheld sales trends does little to reflect the reality of it: the original Gameboy sold about 100 million units over the course of 12 years, and the GBA sold about 80 million. Both were outsold by the PS1 and PS2, and both will eventually be outsold by the Wii. The DS is the first handheld ever to sell as well as the PS2, much less better.

Whether or not it seems like this should be passe, it isn't, because it is unprecedented in the handheld space.


why compare the GB (118M) to the PS2(~150M) when chronologically the GB is much closer to the NES(61M) which it pales in comparison to.  in compariable time periods...the DS is NOT the first handheld to outsell it's console counter-part hence the relative lack of excitedment. 

it's a great milestone mind you but unprecedented...please.

Except that GameBoy and GameBoy Colour sold 118M TOGETHER. So you're comparing 2 vs. 1.



Around the Network

VGChartz isn't giving a fuck about counting the ps2's numbers anymore lol




If im not mistaken VGC ps2 numbers are severly behind official ps2 shipped numbers in short severly undertracked.



MARCUSDJACKSON said:
voty2000 said:
Linkasf said:

Yeah and when a console outsells a handheld, a thread is made for that. Pointless right?


Nope, DS passing PS2 is data and no data that is true is pointless because it is a fact.  It may be insignificant, but not pointless.   Comparing sales of corn and PS3's might not be very useful, but it is still data and has a point if for nothing more than having the knowledge to say corn sells more that PS3's.

No data is pointless.

hasn't shoes sold more then all consoles ever made combined before shoes made it to market, and PC's aren't consoles(matter of opinion sadly opinions don't sell) and have out sold consoles for every gen and are the reall leaders in the console war.

and yet shoes have still sold more!

People have eaten more beef than people have eaten PC's.  That's the beauty of data, it does matter even if it's insignificant. 



your wrong mate..sony shipped over 150 million units,shipped is different than sold..most sales tracking websites differ when it comes tony ps2 sales coz its hard to track after 2005..some say sony ps2 sold 144 million units worldwide while others sites claim sony sold 146-148 million units worldwide..so in the next 6 months..the DS would be the best selling system in the history of the world..again..shipping over 150 million ps2's worldwide is different than selling 150 million units worldwide..shipping n selling are 2 different things buddy..sony fans tend to mix up shipping n selling..shipping 150 million ps2's to store doesnt mean customers actually bought 150 million ps2's..thats not it..out of over 150 million ps2's shipped..only 144-146 or 148 million units were actually sold to customers.



Around the Network
fm81 said:

your wrong mate..sony shipped over 150 million units,shipped is different than sold..most sales tracking websites differ when it comes tony ps2 sales coz its hard to track after 2005..some say sony ps2 sold 144 million units worldwide while others sites claim sony sold 146-148 million units worldwide..so in the next 6 months..the DS would be the best selling system in the history of the world..again..shipping over 150 million ps2's worldwide is different than selling 150 million units worldwide..shipping n selling are 2 different things buddy..sony fans tend to mix up shipping n selling..shipping 150 million ps2's to store doesnt mean customers actually bought 150 million ps2's..thats not it..out of over 150 million ps2's shipped..only 144-146 or 148 million units were actually sold to customers.

Easy... wait the DS shipment figures surpass PS2 then clain the victory.

That still don't happen... so PS2 is the KING (but will be happen late this year). 



ethomaz said:
jarrod said:
ethomaz said:

Official numbers...

Before 2007: http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps2_e.html
After 2007: http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps2_sale_e.html

Over 150 million sold at 30th September.


If you're adding production shipments and shipments, you're double counting units.  PS2 hasn't shipped over 150m yet.

No. Sony officially announced months ago the PS2 breaking the 150m.

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2010/05/19/playstation-2-surpasses-unimaginable-150-million-units-milestone/

There's no "official" anything in your link.  Until you can produce a source from Sony saying they've actually shipped 150m, you should probably stop claiming so.

You won't find a source though, because they haven't yet.  When they do, you can be sure it's going to be reported on EVERYWHERE.



jarrod said:
ethomaz said:
jarrod said:
ethomaz said:

Official numbers...

Before 2007: http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps2_e.html
After 2007: http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps2_sale_e.html

Over 150 million sold at 30th September.


If you're adding production shipments and shipments, you're double counting units.  PS2 hasn't shipped over 150m yet.

No. Sony officially announced months ago the PS2 breaking the 150m.

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2010/05/19/playstation-2-surpasses-unimaginable-150-million-units-milestone/

There's no "official" anything in your link.  Until you can produce a source from Sony saying they've actually shipped 150m, you should probably stop claiming so.

Ok. And I made a mistake counting Q1 2007 two time... the official shipped number are:

147.6 million at 30th September

Eurogamer confimed that too: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-24-ps2-the-insiders-story-article

Edit - VGC confirmed the same number: http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/82596/big-three-shipment-update-through-september-2010/

PS2 shipped 1.5m last quarter... so this quarter at least 3m was shipped... over 150m is guarantee.



RolStoppable said:
Khuutra said:

If I had to guess, a big contributing factor would be that home consoles are just more economical for families; if you had only five hundred dollars to spend on gaming for your two/three children in an entire generation, would you buy two/three handhelds or one console with two/three controllers? Families with multiple DSes are most probably in a minority, with PSPs even moreso.

The biggest factor are the games. Think of a gamer that doesn't hold a bias against any platform, but prioritizes systems that get more big games (which is reasonable, because money as well as time is usually limited). In the past it was very clear cut. All the big games went to home consoles, so handhelds always took a back seat. The 7th generation is the first that actually had big games put exclusively on the handhelds, making it a more even playing field, although home consoles still got the vast majority of AAA efforts.

Essentially, in previous generations the only real thing handhelds had going for it was gaming on the go. If you had no need for that, you didn't even consider buying one. With the DS and PSP, handhelds have become an actual option which explains their explosive sales in a gen over gen comparison. There are two handhelds now while previously there was only the GBA, but it's safe to say that total handhelds sales will have tripled gen over gen once all is said and done.

There is nothing inherently wrong with this analysis, I don't think, though I still hold that home consoles are more economical for families.



Khuutra said:

There is nothing inherently wrong with this analysis, I don't think, though I still hold that home consoles are more economical for families.

Well yeah, I didn't say that that isn't a contributing factor, I just wanted to point out the biggest reason.

And for this response I've waited two, maybe even three, days. Meh.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club