By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anyone else scrapped the safety straps on the Wiimotes?

I usually wear it while playing, I don't want to drop my wiimote. It's not exactly a cheap hardware to get you know.

But still, the other day I was playing... I think it was Wii Golf, I swinged it to high and hit the ceiling fan. Now my wiimote has a scar :P

Around the Network

depends on what game i'm playing

something where you have to flail your wrists more rapidly, maaaybe i'll use them

I've only used it once but find it very annoying as when you wish to put down the remote you always have to remove the strap. So I never use it, don't need it anyway. I just do fine without it.

"But still, the other day I was playing... I think it was Wii Golf, I swinged it to high and hit the ceiling fan. Now my wiimote has a scar :P"

Lol can't help it to find this hilarious. The sight of the flying remote is making me laugh.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

but...but in baseball if you are pitching, you need to throw the wiimote right? how can you do that with a strip around your wrist?

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

I've kept mine on since that's what the owner's manual and and the startup screen for every game tells me to do :P. Seriously though, the only thing that has bothered me to any degree is having to loosen the strap to put down the wiimote. To counter that I just tighten the strap halfway so it slides off if I drop my hand or pull the wiimote off with my left hand (and only those cases).

I kept the straps on because I like to be able to drop the wiimote when I'm not using it and then be able to easily flip it up when I'm ready to play again. I know I could just set it down but thisaways I don't lose it or pick it up backwards and such. Also while I've only once lost control of the wiimote (throwing a fastball in wii sports the first week I had my Wii) my cousins' kids play it every now and then and they have a lot more issues with holding onto the wiimote.

Around the Network

I have them on the remotes but only use them on select games, Golf & wii sports mostly. I don’t like them on if I am playing a sit down game & I want to have a cup of tea I have almost dipped the remote in like a biscuit. :)

I was one of those who was really critical of the safety straps and all those stories about them being pulled off, i thought "how could you possibly do that, dumb morons" until i did it myself playing Wii Sports bowling. I swung and it slipped from my hand and because i had one of the cheap straps from the original Wii remotes, it snapped and went flying into the wardrobe. No damage done, just shock more than anything.

Games i'm currently playing:

Yeah, the straps stay on.

I've had two seperate incidents of people flinging one of my wiimotes into the wall, so I encourage people to use them before something/somebody gets seriously damaged. They're rarely an impairment to gameplay (damn you, multiplayer Warioware, why do you assume there's only one wiimote?) so why take them off and increase the risk that ballistic wiimotes will break a window, TV, somebody's glasses, or whatever?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

This thread keeps making me think about the end of that Samurai Champloo baseball episode, where Mugen is the pitcher and gets hit in the face with the bat when the batter throws it.