By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bioware really needs to play more action games before making Mass Effect 3

I rented mass effect 1 for an hour and didn't like it, but I picked up Mass Effect 2 after everyone and their dog telling me that action has been greatly improved. I spent about 14 hours with Mass Effect 2 thus far and while it is an improved experience for the action junkie, I find it still somewhat lacking.

It seems to me like Bioware must not have played Contra, Doom, Quake, Vectorman or any classic twitch action game as they have no clue how to generate tension in their action set pieces. Furthermore, the set pieces are 1/10th as imaginative as the best stuff found in some other games. Remember the last level of Half Life 2 Episode 2...with the tripods coming and defending the base etc. Well there isn't anything as engaging and tense in Mass Effect 2...not even close.

It almost looks like they miss the chances to make action gameplay more intense on purpose too. One of the missions involves traveling to a planet to help Zaid sort out some old grudge with an ex partner. There you find an option to save workers stuck in a burning factory complex. This situation would be 10X more fun, if it actually had a timer before factory explodes. that way you'd have to hurry up and shoot fast and quickly figure out where to go and what to do. Instead you get to strol through the burning factory without a care in the world...shooting enemies at leasure, powering up your weapons...etc.

I am not saying the game is not good as it clearly is an amazing package. I just wish the action elements were better...as they have no reason not to be.

Around the Network
disolitude said:

I rented mass effect 1 for an hour and didn't like it, but I picked up Mass Effect 2 after everyone and their dog telling me that action has been greatly improved. I spent about 14 hours with Mass Effect 2 thus far and while it is an improved experience for the action junkie, I find it still somewhat lacking.

It seems to me like Bioware must not have played Contra, Doom, Quake, Vectorman or any classic twitch action game as they have no clue how to generate tension in their action set pieces. Furthermore, the set pieces are 1/10th as imaginative as the best stuff found in some other games. Remember the last level of Half Life 2 Episode 2...with the tripods coming and defending the base etc. Well there isn't anything as engaging and tense in Mass Effect 2...not even close.

It almost looks like they miss the chances to make action gameplay more intense on purpose too. One of the missions involves traveling to a planet to help Zaid sort out some old grudge with an ex partner. There you find an option to save workers stuck in a burning factory complex. This situation would be 10X more fun, if it actually had a timer before factory explodes. that way you'd have to hurry up and shoot fast and quickly figure out where to go and what to do. Instead you get to strol through the burning factory without a care in the world...shooting enemies at leasure, powering up your weapons...etc.

I am not saying the game is not good as it clearly is an amazing package. I just wish the action elements were better...as they have no reason not to be.

No, timers in games just ruin the experience most of the time (there is the occasional exception)  I like to take my time in games and explore everything possible, and thats what makes Mass Effect so great.

yo_john117 said:
disolitude said:

No, timers in games just ruin the experience most of the time (there is the occasional exception)  I like to take my time in games and explore everything possible, and thats what makes Mass Effect so great.

No, timers don't ruin the experience when used properly.

You can explore the ship, the plantes, the cities...but if I have a factory burning with people stuck on the inside, I want to see a freekin timer. Gives a sense of urgency which gives a challenge and improves a gamplay.

Pretty sure Mass effect is supposed to be an rpg, maybe they should look at some of those for a refresher

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Bioware designs RPGs. If you don't happen to like those, then don't play them. An RPG experience is different than those of an action title. Just because the FPS in Mass Effect 2 is getting decent, doesn't make it an FPS.

You may want to consider playing a game like Borderlands, if you want more action in your RPG. It is made by Gearbox, who happens to have a track record doing FPS titles.

And no, I don't want a timer in Mass Effect 2. I want to be able to take time to get through levels and pace myself as needed.

Around the Network

You know, it's an action RPG and not just an action game.

I HATE timers they ruin the fun I hate it.

It's an actionrpg.. if you want more action by another game, thay make way to many of those.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

No Mass Effect 2 is fine the way it is. Don't Like it? Go Play something else

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Well there are several timed mission in ME2. You have to look at the evolution between ME1 and ME2 first. While ME1 was RPG with a bit of FPS thrown into, ME2 is the exact opposite. And the improvement is incredible. I've played ME1 once, because of it's great story and setting. I've played ME2 because of it's incredible gameplay (and also story and setting). While I agree that there can be much improved on some of the action set pieces, there is hardly any game this gen except for Uncharted 2, which does everything on this level of quality.

ME2 and UC2 are two greatest games this generation.

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

richardhutnik said:
Bioware designs RPGs. If you don't happen to like those, then don't play them. An RPG experience is different than those of an action title. Just because the FPS in Mass Effect 2 is getting decent, doesn't make it an FPS.

You may want to consider playing a game like Borderlands, if you want more action in your RPG. It is made by Gearbox, who happens to have a track record doing FPS titles.

And no, I don't want a timer in Mass Effect 2. I want to be able to take time to get through levels and pace myself as needed.

Look at my post above for why I think that scene needed a timer. Also I loved borderlands, one of best games last year.

And yes, I see where Bioware makes RPGs which is perfectly fine. They do an amazing job at immersing the player in the universe they create. But they are alienating an audience like myself. I am willing to bend a bit and do some of the RPG stuff as long as I am rewarded with a meaty action level here and there.

I don't see why you can't trully merge the two genres though. All I am saying is that if its an action sequence, they should strive to make it a top of the line action sequence. Not just do it half assed so people can go back to mining for Platinum and collecting Renegade XP.