By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsofts reports record second quarter

Yeap thats the one. I know It's awhile to go but I'm always curious. They would still need 21 quarters aka five years and one quarter of the same amount of profit to break even, so I guess they'll delay the 720 for another 5 years. j/k

Wait... five? Ten year plan confirmed! I'm going to have to buy 4 360's ;)

It's just that simple.

Around the Network
SamuelRSmith said:
yaskar said:
It's just the beginning!

In 2010: Windows Azure, Windows Home Server, Office 2010, Microsoft Natal.

And I would like to see Microsoft Surface for public, a Zune HD phone et Microsoft courier.

Let's not also forget Windows Mobile 7, who knows, that could be very successful for them.

And I really hope silverlight takes off soon. I am loving the streaming capabilities.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

$686 million over 2 Q's!! They won't start mass producing Natal until about 2 months before it's launch, so it looks like the rest of the fiscal year Jan - July 1st is going to be profitable.

$314 million to go and the E&D post $1 billion profit for the first time ever!!!

DirtyP2002 said:
SamuelRSmith said:
yaskar said:
It's just the beginning!

And I would like to see Microsoft Surface for public, a Zune HD phone et Microsoft courier.

Let's not also forget Windows Mobile 7, who knows, that could be very successful for them.

And I really hope silverlight takes off soon. I am loving the streaming capabilities.

I don't really follow Silverlight - how good have Microsoft been at letting third-parties use Silverlight? I don't mean in content creation, but in players. For something like Silverlight to be really successful, Microsoft will need to let it work on things other than 360s, Windows, WinMo, etc.

I know that it works with non-Microsoft browsers, but is it available for other OSs?

SamuelRSmith said:
DirtyP2002 said:
SamuelRSmith said:
yaskar said:
It's just the beginning!

I don't really follow Silverlight - how good have Microsoft been at letting third-parties use Silverlight? I don't mean in content creation, but in players. For something like Silverlight to be really successful, Microsoft will need to let it work on things other than 360s, Windows, WinMo, etc.

I know that it works with non-Microsoft browsers, but is it available for other OSs?

don't know tbh.

I tried it on my Xbox 360 and it worked well. I used it to watch the CES keynote and it worked again. I would love to see youtbe using this, because youtube sucks at the moment.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:
SamuelRSmith said:
DirtyP2002 said:
SamuelRSmith said:
yaskar said:
It's just the beginning!

don't know tbh.

I tried it on my Xbox 360 and it worked well. I used it to watch the CES keynote and it worked again. I would love to see youtbe using this, because youtube sucks at the moment.

There is the open source version called moonlight that MS is pushing for Linux and probably Mac OSX.

When Sky comes to the PS3 as rumoured this is what it will probably use.

There are some legal issues holding back silverlight (maybe something to do with preventing a monopoly or something - not sure) but I haven't checked on what's been going on with that for a while.

Stellar results, as Win 7 delivers M$ back to the top in the OS world. As for EDD, what can you say but WOW...The division has turned things around, and it's looking very much like they are on a solid glide path to profitability for the rest of this console generation. I think profits will accelerate, and quote me as saying that the 6-month July thru December quarters of this year will see profits well over ONE BILLION DOLLARS. If anybosy is keeping score, that means before the launch of the next console, the EDD will be solidly in the black!

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

heruamon said:
Stellar results, as Win 7 delivers M$ back to the top in the OS world. As for EDD, what can you say but WOW...The division has turned things around, and it's looking very much like they are on a solid glide path to profitability for the rest of this console generation. I think profits will accelerate, and quote me as saying that the 6-month July thru December quarters of this year will see profits well over ONE BILLION DOLLARS. If anybosy is keeping score, that means before the launch of the next console, the EDD will be solidly in the black!

They'd break even within a year and a half on the Xbox 360 with that kind of result.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Seece said:
$686 million over 2 Q's!! They won't start mass producing Natal until about 2 months before it's launch, so it looks like the rest of the fiscal year Jan - July 1st is going to be profitable.

$314 million to go and the E&D post $1 billion profit for the first time ever!!!

Inventory in hand isn't counted as an expense, its counted as an asset unless they intend to sell it at a loss.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

well they gotta be making money on the elites at $300 now, probably a decent amount. I dont' think they're making money on arcades but it's probably getting close.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X