By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Some HDMI and cables questions

twesterm said:

So first off, I'll admit that I know jack crap about 480p and 1080i, HDMI, component cables, and all that other silly stuff. What I do know is that my TV has an HDMI slot but my receiver does not (and getting a new one isn't an option at the moment) so I haven't been taking advantage of it.

Anyways, my question is if I hook up my HDMI for my PS3 directly to the TV can I still have an optical output or component audio go to my receiver? My receiver has hookups for optical, component, S-Video, and standard but I'm just not sure if I can hook up the HDMI cable to the TV and still have sound going through my receiver so I can still have surround sound.

-edit-

And don't know if it matters but my TV does 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i.

You have to set it in the PS3 under output settings, but YES you can have the sound come out through the optical output even if you're using HDMI. Though you'll have to have your receiver to have sound, it will not come through on the HDMI as far as I know. On component that I do not know, what I can tell you is the 360 had a special plug on the component and composite cables in order to use the optical output for sound, though the PS3 doesn't seem to.