By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Some HDMI and cables questions

So first off, I'll admit that I know jack crap about 480p and 1080i, HDMI, component cables, and all that other silly stuff. What I do know is that my TV has an HDMI slot but my receiver does not (and getting a new one isn't an option at the moment) so I haven't been taking advantage of it.

Anyways, my question is if I hook up my HDMI for my PS3 directly to the TV can I still have an optical output or component audio go to my receiver? My receiver has hookups for optical, component, S-Video, and standard but I'm just not sure if I can hook up the HDMI cable to the TV and still have sound going through my receiver so I can still have surround sound.

-edit-

And don't know if it matters but my TV does 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i. 

Around the Network

I think you should ask playstation.com about that. Just make a thread on that site about this and they would answer you in about 3 minutes.

That involves me signing up for a new forum and being the random new guy that asks a question and then never returns. This isn't really PS3 specific and there seem to be a bunch of AV dorks here (no offense, I'm all sorts of a dork too, just not an AV dork unfortunately) that can answer these kind of questions. :-p

Alright then, I will make a thread over there about this and post you the results......k?

Sounds good, thanks. ^^

Around the Network

Both my 360 and my Upscale DVD player are hooked up like that. HDMI picture, seperate audio cable. I don't know if the PS3 works like that, but I'd imagine they do.

Yeah, twesterm, I'm still waiting on some responses. Its kinda slow over there at playstation.com today.

Here we go this is what one user said:

"you can have HDMI go from your PS3 to your TV, and optical from your PS3 to your reciever. have audio settings set to optical, and check every box. also make sure that youre blu ray settings at set to send bitstream VIA optical.

when you watch a movie, your reciever's LED screen should say either dolby digital or DTS, if it does not, then it is set wrong.

as far as viewing resolution, you want it to be selected as 720P and not 1080i. what TV do you have by the way."

Did that help?

Yup, that helps a lot, thanks. I have a Sony Bravia KDL-40S2010 by the way.

I actually have no idea if my receiver is set as Dolby Digital or DTS, as I said, I'm pretty clueless on this stuff. Suppose I'll have to fiddle with it.

twesterm said:
Yup, that helps a lot, thanks. I have a Sony Bravia KDL-40S2010 by the way.

I actually have no idea if my receiver is set as Dolby Digital or DTS, as I said, I'm pretty clueless on this stuff. Suppose I'll have to fiddle with it.

No problem man, just looking out for my peeps.