By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So here's what I think of the PS3

MontanaHatchet said:

Thank you.

That was honestly quite refreshing.

Refreshing?  It's the same stale complaint we've heard over and over again.  I agree with omgwtfbbq, there's more complaining about bias on this site than actual bias.

When someone complains about the PS3, some rush to defend it and some support the original complaint.  When someone complains about the Wii, some rush to defend it and some support the original complaint.  The problem is that people only see the side that's against them, and then complain about bias.

Around the Network
Entroper said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Thank you.

Refreshing? It's the same stale complaint we've heard over and over again. I agree with omgwtfbbq, there's more complaining about bias on this site than actual bias.

When someone complains about the PS3, some rush to defend it and some support the original complaint. When someone complains about the Wii, some rush to defend it and some support the original complaint. The problem is that people only see the side that's against them, and then complain about bias.

It's like this.

You have one loaf of bread that's been laying out on the counter for a week, it's stale.

Then, you have one loaf of bread that's been there for 2 months and covered in white fuzz with flies buzzing around it.

There's a definite bias on the site, although the only people who bitch about it just find themselves banned 2 weeks later.

Anyways, I think I'm just going to lock this. It was pretty trollish in the first place, twesterm is such a wiseass, he should have known this. And, since it's just a bunch of bickering now between people who would be better off on Gamefaqs, it's going.

MontanaHatchet said:

There's a definite bias on the site, although the only people who bitch about it just find themselves banned 2 weeks later.

I've been a lurker for a while and I have to say I agree with you totally. People started bitter topics about kotaku comments and wonder why internauts don't find vgcharts credible. It's because of stupid threads like this one. People just can't accept fact site with such biased community can provide real figures. Period.

jman8 said:

Maybe because the OP wasn't reasonable. It was basically a long tirade about not having $15 cables included in the box, a poorly timed hint in Uncharted Demo that doesn't indicate anything about the final game, scrolling in the PSN sucks (even though you do not have to scroll at all!) and how a 15 min. demo of Heavenly Sword was just about button mashing. And as a result, he gives the impression that the PS3 is crap based on mostly inconsequential or non-existent issues. The only issue that he mentions that is worrisome is the bit on Heavenly Sword being just a button masher. Problem is, the actual game is quite a bit deeper than that. The combat gets more interesting, the Sixaxis shooting portions were a riot, and the way the story was presented was very impressive and just downright cool.

His review is plain worthless. He doesn't even review a game that he's actually played through. He just talks about demos. How is that a reasonable review of a GAME system?

You missed the point of the whole cable ordeal. It isn't the price of the cables but the fact the PS3 is advertised as this wonderful HD machine and the fact they sneaked BluRay in and yet they didn't have the decency to include cables to take advantage of all this stuff. You're right, on a $400+ console $15 isn't that much, but it does say something about the console when it isn't included.

As for the Uncharted demo, it wasn't just the poorly timed hint, it was several things. A demo is supposed to be like a resume: perfect or as close to perfect as possible. With a glaring problem like the hint, they should have just taken that out, placed it earlier, or even given another level to play through. Also keep in mind that I do like the Uncharted demo and will more than likely get the game eventually so I don't see why you're even bothering to complain.

As for Heavenly Sword, once again, a demo is supposed to give you an impression of the final game. With the HS demo, all I got was a boring button masher. It's cool if you like the game and think it's deep, I simply think it's shallow boring garbage. I tried the different combos and all that jazz and I did better just randomly pressing buttons. By the end of the incredibly short demo I was already bored out of my mind; that's really all there is to it for me. I'm sure the SIXAXIS shooting portions were a riot, but that's not the main gameplay hook and they weren't in the demo so I can't very well comment on them (and I'm not going to spend $60 just to test it).

As for how is this a reasonable review of the game system-- it wasn't really a review, it was more just first impressions. As a game system, it's lacking to me because it doesn't have many games I like. Uncharted seemed promising and, as I said, I'll more than likely get it eventually. I still have some more time to spend with R&C before I form an opinion on that (so far it's not a waste of time at the very least). Also, I want to give Eye of Judgment a whirl since I love me some CCG's.

If you don't like my impressions good for you. If you want to argue, come up with some valid response instead of just bashing my opinions (like SlorgNet did for example).

SlorgNet said:
twesterm said:

So I come back and finally finish the fight. At this point I’m bored out of my mind and give a sigh of boredom when I see three more enemies burst open a door and then something surprised me—the demo ended.

I have also have Ratchet & Clank and I played a little bit of it but not enough that I want to form an opinion on it yet.

I’ve played Resistance and I hate the game so there’s no need to try that.

1. I notice you're rating games and an entire console purely on the basis of the demos you've played. Or more precisely, three demos. That's about as fair as judging a book on its title page.

2. "Resistance" is a fine game, well-designed and with a gripping storyline, but if you don't like FPS games, that's a separate issue.

3. The PSN interface and XMB are fine - fairly easy to navigate, and there are lots of free videos and demos available (DMC, MGS, etc.). You can use R1 and L1 to jump forwards or back, or use the left stick to click on the onscreen buttons. Simple and painless.

4. "Ratchet and Clank" -- the game, not the demo -- is an action-platformer blast, and also very, very funny.

5. If you have an HDTV, rent a BluRay title and check out the visuals. You might be pleasantly surprised.

1. I am basing it off of the things I've played so far and don't see a huge problem with that. At the time of posting I still had the Folklore demo to play through and R&C to play some more. As for judging a game and system on demos, demos are there to be judged. If they don't do a good job on selling you the game, they fail. Uncharted did a good job, so far the other demos have not.
  2. How many times do I have to say I just don't like Resistance? It's not because of any kind of hate for FPS games (not in love with FPS games but I don't hate them), I just don't like Resistance. I've gone over the reasons why I hate the game in many other threads and don't feel like going over it again as I never planned to in the OP.
  3. Opinion, though I do respect your opinion and hope you would respect mine. I just simply don't like it. I've also played with the winter theme, airport theme, and pixel theme and holy fuck those are terrible. You can't read anything because of the pictures and it's just shitty. I'll play with some user created ones later, but so far, just not in love with it and like the 360 dashboard and Wii menu interface much better (though even have my problems with both of those).
  4. As I said, I didn't have any overwhelming positive or negative feel for the game as I haven't played enough of it yet. So far, it isn't bad and is something I'm going to keep playing.
  5. I have a few on the way, though I don't expect them to be better than HD-DVD (expect them to be the same). My TV only does 720p and 1080i so there shouldn't be a difference (though I could be completely wrong since I'm no expert on this stuff).

<3 Montana for unlocking the topic. Your sticky isn't silly.

-edit-
And I'll happily admit there is loads of bias in the opening part of my post.  I was pissed at several things and just not happy.  Though as I said before, that part of the post isn't the part that matters, it's the games that matter.  Depsite what people want to think, I have gone at these games with a completely open mind (I was actually excited to play Heavenly Sword since I do like God of War) and have tried to be as unbiased as possible.  With a game like Motorstorm I did compare directly to a Wii game (Excite Truck) but that's just because those games were pretty similar to me and, well, I just wanted to compare the two.  As for the rest, I wasn't give them a -10 points because they are PS3 games.

:)

You're a hardass, but ya got heart kid.

Around the Network
Sqrl said:
I'm actually curious to here a different take on some of this stuff, any of our other PS3 owners/supporters want to chime in? Just curious what the opinion on these features is from some of our pro-sony folks. Not that I don't trust twestern, but usually when you have a negative opinion of something you tend to overlook the positives so I am curious what the flipside is if any.

[different take]

The console itself - My first (launch day) PS3 actually died on me (this was a while ago). The replacement works fine, but I have not played it that much. I only have one game (Resistance). It is quieter than the 360, but the noise level is still absolutely unnacceptable for movies/music (I have mine in a different room thanks to a 25ft HDMI cable, and this solves that problem). The controller is garbage - insensitive analog sticks and frequent (once a playing session) signal drops. The audio capabilities of the unit are very nice though (only 7th gen console to sport multi-channel Linear PCM via HDMI)

The PSN store is fairly awful. It's really slow and has a very clunky interface. It doesn't take me a whole day to download demos though - more like 15-20 mins.

As far as the XMB goes, I like it except for the fact that the settings menu is a mile long. Other than that it works well.

Uncharted is kinda fun - I'll probably get it if they manage to have a campaign of acceptable length.

Motorstorm - I played the demo and it was alright - but after seeing how many tracks were in the full game I decided not to buy it.

Heavenly Sword - meh...the demo is okay, but I won't spend more than $10-20 on such a short game, so I don't have it yet.

[/different take]

I own a PS3 and currently am not particularly impressed with it, though to be fair, I did not expect to be. I picked up a 60GB on a really good trade-in offer, mainly because I wanted the full BC while it was still available. There are no current exclusive titles available that appeal to me enough to make a purchase, and I already own the multiplatform games that I like for 360 (though that's only 1 or 2 titles). I don't own any games at all and basically use the system only for Blu-ray movie playback, though there are games that I do expect to purchase later down the line. Still, I knew what I was getting into, and the timing of the trade-in offer as well as the soon-to-be-disappearing 60GB model compelled me to make a purchase when it probably wasn't really prudent for me to do so. Owning both HD formats is kind of nice, I guess.

Oh, and I totally agree that the exclusion of any kind of HD-supporting cable from the package is completely ridiculous, especially considering Sony's "true HD-era" posturing.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

MontanaHatchet said:
Entroper said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Thank you.

Refreshing? It's the same stale complaint we've heard over and over again. I agree with omgwtfbbq, there's more complaining about bias on this site than actual bias.

When someone complains about the PS3, some rush to defend it and some support the original complaint. When someone complains about the Wii, some rush to defend it and some support the original complaint. The problem is that people only see the side that's against them, and then complain about bias.

It's like this.

You have one loaf of bread that's been laying out on the counter for a week, it's stale.

Then, you have one loaf of bread that's been there for 2 months and covered in white fuzz with flies buzzing around it.

Anyways, I think I'm just going to lock this. It was pretty trollish in the first place, twesterm is such a wiseass, he should have known this. And, since it's just a bunch of bickering now between people who would be better off on Gamefaqs, it's going.

Largely because those people who moan about it are the people who bitch and troll about other things and go on random tirades?

Ie. Blue3, GranTurismo, Washimul, Kwaad, Hus

Sqrl said:
MontanaHatchet said:
It's payback chump.

I would expect those who enjoy their PS3 can easily provide just as many points about the topics mentioned by twestern that are positive. I would genuinely like to hear those points.

I've given my responses about 40 times already.  Why should I have to cut and paste the things I like about the PS3 every time one of these hate threads shows up?  I might as well make a posting bot to continuously spam how much I love the games and the console for what it is.

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

Who cares what a hater says ?I wont eve waste my time responding to this .