By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FF13 voted the best game of all time by Famitsu readers

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
lestatdark said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
lestatdark said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

If popularity =/= better game, then why is anyone making a big deal of these polls then?  And why are you working so hard to make sure Final Fantasy is looking more popular than Pokemon?

We can go rattling on about sales and polls all day.  In the end, it will come down to opinion.  Dragon Quest and Pokemon are the two best selling (and most will say popular) RPGs in Japan.  Final Fantasy XIII is popular right now for sure, cuz it just came out.  But if this was 4 months ago, Pokemon would have been on everyones mind and probably way high in the poll, because it just released.

That's the entire thing, I'm not working hard to make sure FF is looking more popular than pokemon. I strongly suggest you read my first comment on this thread, regarding the validity and timing of this poll.

I'm just saying that a factual poll of the best games of all time, won't be full of pokemon games in the top 20, nor will it be full of FF games, nor will it be full of DQ games.

Also you have still not answered my question. If pokemon is so popular, and it equals so much of a good game, then why isn't it on that list, when there are games there that came out much time before than the recent pokemon game? I can site a few good examples like SMT: Persona 4, MGS4, Yakuza 3, MHF:U, ToV. And this is considering out the FF games and the DQ game in that poll. 

I don't answer questions that were put in the form of a challenge with only one acceptable answer.  Especially when it is so clearly based on a persons personal tastes.

However, again, considering Japan has already done multiple 'best ever' polls and you can clearly see the results, I don't know how you can say games like Dragon Quest, Pokemon and Final Fantasy wouldn't be on them.  Just because you think they shouldn't be doesn't mean the majority of Japan doesn't, as the link given above shows.  Seven of the top Ten games are nothing but Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest titles.

1 - It's not about personal taste, you were the one who claimed, more popularity = better game, when you mentioned pokemon in your first post. The only one who has been using personal tastes has been you during this entire discussion, stop pinning this on me. If you can't answer a basic question, then that's fine by me.

2 - And please, for the love of everything sacred, stop putting words in my mouth and stop spinning your own words. Zex had already shown you a poll from before, and in the top tier you can only find Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, you had to scroll down to the Top 51-100 games to find a pokemon game. You claimed this. in your first post: "They sure can't make up their mind. Until they do the 'best games ever' polls. Then you see nearly all Dragon Quest and Pokemon games in the top 20 with only one or two Final Fantasy games." Now you're saying that it should be full of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest? I think you should also make up your mind

Also, when did I ever say that DQ, Pokemon or FF games wouldn't be on them? These are my exact words: "I'm just saying that a factual poll of the best games of all time, won't be full of pokemon games in the top 20, nor will it be full of FF games, nor will it be full of DQ games." Never did I say that it wouldn't have Dragon Quest, Pokemon or FF games. But what about Zelda, Mario, Metroid and so many other favourite and popular games in Japan? And other JRPG's as well, like Persona 4 or Suikoden III or Kingdom Hearts, which are immensely popular in Japan too, just to name a few? 

Again, i'm not the one who's taking this to personal tastes, i'm trying to be as factual and level-headed as I can be, but don't go twisting my words again, because I have your statements and mine in our conversations, and I shall take it to the proper autorities, should you continue to pursue that course of action.

To answer youe number 2, I already answered that to him.

And again, I have no idea what you're trying to say if by saying a 'factual' poll of the best games of all time won't be full of FF/DQ/Pokemon, and then you turn around and get mad at me when I point out a list that actually DOES have a list like that (the linked 'best of' Famitsu list).  That's not me putting 'words in your mouth'.  That's me citing the very same poll you are above when you're trying to claim I said 'popularity = better game' (which I still didn't say and you assumed, but you're still trying to nail me for).

I seriously think we should end this.  Its nothing but a bunch of misunderstandings and ruffling of feathers.

You just cited the poll Zexen gave, after you did the original claims about Pokemon and DQ. As you said, the top spots would be filled with Pokemon/DQ/FF, but let's do a break down of that same list, shall we?:

- FF games: 9 on the top 50, 2 on the top 51-100
- DQ games: 7 on the top 50
- Pokemon: 1, and only on the top 51-100

As you can see, going back to our original discussion, Pokemon wouldn't fill a Top list, because although they are very popular and good games, they are average JRPGs to appeal to a more mainstream public.

I may have been wrong in the rest of our discussion, but going back to the original claims that you gave, you too were wrong, and it was not only Zexen corrected you that you changed your tone of discussion.

I agree, we should end this and I'm going to step down, but i'll still do the same counter-argumentation any time someone does a claim such as the one you did at first. 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
outlawauron said:
Khuutra said:
outlawauron said:

What FF4 considered very hard?

Yeah, the DS version in particular... though this was alleviated if you used Slow on every single boss

Really? I thought the DS version was very easy. You'd probably consider me under-leveled as well as I beat pretty quickly.

Your experience runs counter to the norm. A lot of people have a lot of trouble with the game, particularly with the optional bosses and the final dungeons - Red Dragons are the bane of nearly all existence, though thankfully the Gold and Black dragons are vulnerable to Stop.

Hmm, I didn't do all of the side quests, but I did get most (if not all) the summons.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

FF13 is the hardest FF game ever

Khuutra said:
outlawauron said:
Khuutra said:
outlawauron said:

What FF4 considered very hard?

Yeah, the DS version in particular... though this was alleviated if you used Slow on every single boss

Really? I thought the DS version was very easy. You'd probably consider me under-leveled as well as I beat pretty quickly.

Your experience runs counter to the norm. A lot of people have a lot of trouble with the game, particularly with the optional bosses and the final dungeons - Red Dragons are the bane of nearly all existence, though thankfully the Gold and Black dragons are vulnerable to Stop.

Either way, it's prolly a good thing they beefed up the difficulty.

I remember I got to the boss of FF4 on the SNES... and I was like... 20 levels lower then I was supposed to be to fight the boss.  Don't even know how the hell I did it.

Had to start over since there was no going back from the tower.

I'm glad FF13 has become the best game ever

Around the Network

What? Thats a horrible list. Everyone knows Mass Effect 2 is number 1. ;)

selnor said:
What? Thats a horrible list. Everyone knows Mass Effect 2 is number 1. ;)

I don't think japanese care much for the WRPG genre :P

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Asking people right after the gigahyped release of such a game is stupid.

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 

Completely ridiculous list, but that's ok, the japanese are crazy anyway.

ME2 is a good game but I would not put it on that list.