By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is VGChartz accurate?

They are good as far as I can tell. Sometimes they are proven off but othertimes they are right on the money.

PS3 Trophies

Around the Network

it's hilarious how ppl started to question vgchartz reliability after the ps3 numbers started to look better... actually it's pretty sad.

i trust this site as a source.

to be honest yes and no

sometimes the numbers are close and other times they are not

for example: zack and wiki. the numbers were at 500k but capcom said the game was nowhere near that.

The date of sales is exactly not...

For software... not all that reliable no. VGChartz can be off a lot, especially with games that have low sales. But constant adjustments mean that most software numbers on this site are reliable.

For hardware, check out my Weekly Adjustments thread (and the analysis threads it spawns). That way you can have your own opinion on whether or not the numbers are within your definition of reliable. Usually, VGChartz hardware numbers are within 10%, and on average it's even better than that.

This is invisible text!

Around the Network

It's more reliable than my dad.

Why were you never there, dad? Why?

Why are some of you saying VGC can be off? Off according to what exactly? NPD? Are they not another extrapolating sales tracker with incomplete data samples? So what defines accuracy of one over the other? Don't just assume because VGC was X percentage away from NPD that it was X percentage away from being accurate with the real value.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

yeah, they are, who said they aren't? ign?

I find the hardware sales accurate but I think their software sales might be more nebulous (I think software sales are tough to estimate)...

All the comments I have seen are around software not hardware.

OP, when you say "I'm starting to have suspicions that VGChartz.com is unreliable" do you actually mean something like "I'm upset that my favourite game/console isn't selling as well as I'd like it to" or "I'm upset that my least favourite game/console isn't proving to be a commercial failure"?

Because most of the time, when people question the sales figures, it eventually turns out that they have that kind of agenda.

Of course, VGChartz's sales figures do have to be taken with a small pinch of salt, but that should be very obvious; it's impossible to get completely reliable figures for worldwide sales of every game within a few days.