By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Garcian Reviews the Xbox 360 Arcade

So, last night, I took my first step into HD gaming. Against the majority advice I was given, I decided to shirk the extra cost of the 360 Premium and purchase the Arcade instead. The reasons, just briefly, were that the advantages that the hard drive offers - online multiplayer, downloadable content, backwards compatibility - just didn't apply to me. I already have an original Xbox, I don't plan to pay for Gold, and I have a PC that I can use for DLC and as a media center. (Of course, I'll eventually nab an HDD off of eBay so that I can check out some XBLA games, but that'll happen when my pocketbook is a bit greener.)

Now, the other systems I own include a Wii, PS2, and (as I said) a huge black Xbox 1. Here's how the Arcade stacks up to those systems, and how it sets the bar (or doesn't) for HD gaming.

The Arcade's hardware is significantly less obtrusive in appearance than the Xbox 1. Unlike its predecessor, a squarish black monstrosity, the 360 is sleek and white, able to fit innocuously into any home entertainment setup. It almost reminds me of a compact PC, in a way, with its large, circular power button and sides pock-marked with ventilation holes. The Arcade changes up the look of the system slightly - and, I believe, for the better - by making the disc tray match the color of the default faceplate. If it wasn't clear that Microsoft was going after the Wii market with this model before, then that simple change should make it obvious. Indeed, the look of the system compliments the Wii well, almost as if it were the big brother to my little rectangular box o' fun, and both look quite attractive side-by-side on my cheap Ikea wire shelves.

One thing that did surprise me, though, was the size of the power brick. I mean, I'd heard things about it before, but nothing can really prepare you for the sheer immenseness of this thing. I managed to tuck it away into a corner, though, so it's really not a grating problem.

Speaking of software, the 360's OS does what it does well. The various aspects of what the console can do are organized neatly into different sections, and it didn't take much searching at all to find whatever I was looking for. The system is also extremely easy to configure, which is a major credit to Microsoft (who are, of course, also responsible for the configuration horror that is Windows.)

However, I immediately missed the simple elegance of the Wii's UI upon exploring the various "blades." That's more a compliment to the designers of Nintendo's console than an insult to MS's software engineers, though, as the Wii "channels" are by far the best solution to navigating a modern game console that I've seen. The 360 UI just seems cluttered in comparison, but I'd imagine that problem is alleviated somewhat after one learns where everything is.

My only other complaint about the UI is that, for some reason, MS found it prudent to sneak advertising in on to several of the "blades." It's a minor quibble, as they're easy to ignore, but MS could have certainly done without, as the ads only add to the clutter.

So, after exploring the system a bit, I decided to sign up for Xbox Live. My god, what a pain. I hate to keep drawing comparisons to the Wii, but all I needed to do to connect to the 'net with Nintendo's system was to configure a few wireless settings and test the connection. MS makes you create a username (which is fine), but then they proceed to ask you for your name and e-mail. And then another username and password for some Windows Live thing. And then your address and telephone number. "Jeez," I thought to myself, "am I trying to connect to the Internet or registering Windows?" And then I remembered who actually created the console, and everything made sense.

In other words, it definitely would have helped if MS had just gone the Nintendo route and tied all online profile info to the console itself, rather than forcing the user to go through that long, arduous process. But, at least that's over now. 

Now, on to the changes to the Arcade itself. Obviously, MS's base model now includes HDMI and a wireless controller, both of which are a boon to bargain-hunters like myself. However, the best inclusion is the 256mb memory card. Yes, I said "memory card." Somehow I was under the impression that the flash memory was built-in, but it turns out to be a removable little white thing that nondescriptly plugs into the memory slots on the front of the console. Given the inflated prices for 360 memory cards, the included card is at least a $25 value, and more than that, it gives the user a place to save his or her games - and take them to a friend's place.

The Arcade also includes a disc of five games normally found on Xbox Live Arcade - a $45 value if you were to purchase the games seperately as downloadable content. (For those keeping score, that, combined with the memory card, makes a $70 value, basically inclued for free!) The games center around the tastes of the casual player, but like Wii Sports, I could definitely see myself pulling it out for a quick round of something every once in a while. The first game I tried out was Pac-Man Championship Edition, an HD version of the arcade classic with tons of gameplay modes. After savoring the irony  - I was, after all, using my brand-new HD system to play a 25-year-old arcade game - I found the game to be well worth the time. I was never a big fan of the arcade-style "play until you die" sort of gameplay, and PMCE offers time-attack modes where you try to get the highest score you can. The two other games I tried - Boom Boom Rocket, a rhythm game, and Feeding Frenzy, a PopCap action-puzzler - were also well worth the inclusion of the disc. 

One thing that really impressed me were the scoreboards for each game, where I could see how my score ranked against everyone else. On my first time-attack in Pac-Man, I ranked somewhere around 62,000, below guys with horribly silly names, but also above guys with even sillier names. I obviously need practice, but I am beginning to see a pattern here...

So, overall, I'm quite pleased with my purchase - and I haven't even picked up any real games for the thing yet. The 360 won't supplant the Wii as my favorite current-gen console any time soon, but I can definitely see where the whole "Wii60" phenomenon came from. The two consoles complement each-other extremely well, especially with the asthetic improvements to the Arcade.

Now, I'm off to gobble up some more ghosts... in 720p!

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network

Good review, btw ...

I dunno, Mr. Smith. I think you may find yourself playing the 360 a lot more these coming days. While I enjoy the Wii, you will end up getting hooked very, very fast.

Welcome to the fam ...

I'm pretty sure your Xbox games are backwards compatible with your Arcade 360.

And Pac-Man CE isn't an HD version of the classic Pac-Man, it's a completely new game.

Do you have any idea what the first new game you buy will be?

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

sinha said:
I'm pretty sure your Xbox games are backwards compatible with your Arcade 360.

And Pac-Man CE isn't an HD version of the classic Pac-Man, it's a completely new game.

Do you have any idea what the first new game you buy will be?

Nope; I'd need a hard drive to have backwards-compatibility. But it doesn't matter anyway, since some of the best Xbox games aren't compatible yet with the 360. Once they implement compatibility for Oddworld Stranger's Wrath, Legacy of Kain: Defiance, and a few others, then maybe I'll ditch my old X-brick. :)

As for games, I'll probably start to mine the system's early games once I get a bit more cash. Kameo, GRAW, Condemned, PD0, and some others I want to play look to be going for $10 or less each on eBay by now. I'm on a bit of a Half-Life kick at the moment, so the first "new" new game I buy will probably be Orange Box, followed by Bioshock.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

The games are compatible with the Arcade, but not the memory card. The HDD is required for BC, since the HDDs are already partitioned for the BC games (about 5gb or so).

Youd sub-$10 USD list sounds fantastic. Each of those games are beyond awesome.

The media blades on the X360 are very, very, easy to naviage once you get used to them. All the important gaming stuff is in 1 place (game trailers, demos, arcade games if you DL them).

By the way, on the XBA Demo Disk, what demos were included?

There are very strong reasons MS makes you go through the crap for signing onto Live - when you sign up, and create that username, it also includes the signup for Xbox.com and it's forums, as well as saves your gamercard, so you can compare it for your friends lists and such. It's very beneficial, and that's the only, only time you ever have to do it.

Either way, welcome to the club. Get a gamercard from www.mygamercard.net, and hit me up with a friend request.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.