By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - play a game save some lives

The game, FreeRice, tests the vocabulary of participants. For each click on a correct answer, the website donates money to buy 10 grains of rice.

Companies advertising on the website provide the money to the WFP to buy and distribute the rice.

http://www.freerice.com/index.php

Although the cynic in me wonder why the companies that sponsor this; Macey's, American Express, Mac, Toshiba, Radisson....don't just donate a few billion $s of their profit instead.

Around the Network

I just donated 100 grains of rice.

Make that 250 grains of rice, it's addictive for some reason.

It is fun and surprising how many words I get specifically because of vast video game play. Especially from WRPGs and western MMORPGs. Quite a few words that I was able to pinpoint the meaning easily because remembering them in the context they were used in games like Everquest and Baldur's gate.

Now Playing : Links Crossbow Training(Wii), Super Mario Galaxy(Wii) FE: Path of Radiance(GC)

Neat, I like the vocab levels. Sadly I knew immediately what sapience meant =P

Up to Vocab level 39 at the moment with 360 grains of rice donated. I might have to try this more later, not a bad way to waste time. Certainly worse ways to do it at least.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

@zom, actually I knew Sapience because of Everquest =P

Hah nice only word I remember specifically off the top of my head that I hit cause of EQ was cacophony from a bard alt I had powerleveled to 75 and seeing all those lovely stun/disorient type songs named Cacophony of whatever so just naturally hit the option dissonance or loud sound or whatever it was. Was up to 38 earlier now I'm down to 34 with 1010 grains hit a bad streak for awhile that dropped me. I was reading the stat page about how only the very select few can hit levels like 48 even just these 30's are humbling me can't imagine the human dictionary that can go that high.

Now Playing : Links Crossbow Training(Wii), Super Mario Galaxy(Wii) FE: Path of Radiance(GC)

Yeah from the sounds if it the 35-40 range is well above average though so don't be to down on yourself. The 40+ is genius level...now if I can just wake up a bit more and show my true colors!! lol

On the topic of EQ words, I knew that one because I was in a guild with the name and one of my first questions was what the hell does it mean? And the answer was of course wisdom. I am pretty sure it is of Latin origin...but aren't most words lol?

Ok....I hate myself right now....

omphaloskepsis - Why do I know this word!!!!!! This game is sort of disturbing because you know things you don't even know you know >< But I was still sure I knew what it meant....

So I don't ruin it...

Answer: navel-contemplation

Ok, I'm done for now...missed

foolscap = writing paper

Best level was 43, but I was definitely taking some guesses..most educated, some I just had no idea...

edit: One more thing, my curiousity lead me to find out how much money they were raising and it looks like its about $42,881.03 so far.  Not too bad at all for people just exercising their minds.  And the site has only been up for a month now, so it could still grow quite a bit.

Hehe ya I'm only familiar with it because of my biology 2 teacher in high school and of course most terms in science derive from latin and he told us the meaning for modern mans official name homo sapien or thinking man. I owe my latest answer to the greatest rpg ever Chrono Trigger they asked me antipode and bam had it thank you Marle and Lucca. Wow yea thats nice I didn't look up the dollar figures I did check out the number of grains of rice and it is incredible the pace at which it is growing. Hopefully a lot of people make a daily habit out of it and it can do some real good in the world I love to see gaming help make beneficial change. If theres one thing I can say about the PS3 that Sony did absolutely right is that Folding at Home assistance which has given so much to their project it is the type of job that the Cell processor certainly can use its full potential for.