By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - SPOILERS! First 30 mins of Mass Effect 2 SPOILERS!

Put it this way.

Were we in an indifferent world, that statement would be taken at face value. There is simply no denying that any console game represents "competition."

As such, the direct implication is that this is the best looking console game yet released in his opinion.

As Selnor pointed out, opposition to this statement is purely borne out of a desire on the part of some people for the Xbox 360 to be seen as incapable of matching the PS3's technical achievements.

People need to calm down. Whether it is FFXIII, GOW3 or Alan Wake, something will overtake ME2 soon.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

Problem is how is 9.5 graphics(ME2) over 10/10 in graphics(U2) "miles ahead of competition"? like CGI and other said IGN wasn't talking about Uncharted 2 or KZ2 as the "competition".

Obviously that is a scale that moves with time.

There are games from a decade ago that have 10's for graphics.

The application of common sense would have prevented this entire argument.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Why would someone what to see that?!?

It would spoil everything!

@ starcraft: You know as well as I do you would probably be countering this exact same thing if it were said the other way around.

Aside from that: The IGN video review said NOTHING coming close to the words "best yet on consoles", unless you were watching and reading a different review?

And if it were a scale that moved with time, then ME2 would've gotten ten as it would've been the new standard (i.e. better than Uncharted 2 in the graphical department).

About taking it at face value: that's just why it's impossible to deduce what is meant, because language (in practice) cannot be taken at face value as something is always implied, whether it be the true meaning of the word or something different. To then state it as a 'most certainly what he said' is the exact same spin as the other party is using to dismiss it. We will never know unless that IGN-reviewer clarifies.

Around the Network
starcraft said:
Put it this way.

Were we in an indifferent world, that statement would be taken at face value. There is simply no denying that any console game represents "competition."

As such, the direct implication is that this is the best looking console game yet released in his opinion.

As Selnor pointed out, opposition to this statement is purely borne out of a desire on the part of some people for the Xbox 360 to be seen as incapable of matching the PS3's technical achievements.

People need to calm down. Whether it is FFXIII, GOW3 or Alan Wake, something will overtake ME2 soon.

So they didn't mean PC by 'competition' but they did mean PS3? Because ME2 doesn't hold a candle to Crysis. What is the point in trying to spin an ambiguous comment from one reviewer when everyone can clearly see that ME2 is worse graphically than Uncharted 2?

God you're teasing me! >_
I won't see them, cause now it's just a few days away, I can hold on till then xD (sucks for us Europeans getting the game just 3 days later).

Also, I've heard that CE preorders in GAME are delayed, has anyone done their preorder in GAME as well? >_

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

CGI-Quality said:
Ping_ii said:
Problem is how is 9.5 graphics(ME2) over 10/10 in graphics(U2) "miles ahead of competition"? like CGI and other said IGN wasn't talking about Uncharted 2 or KZ2 as the "competition".

I mean, they could have been. I just know that with their history, they have no qualms about saying: 'best looking game on console', if that's in fact how they felt. They did it with the original Gears of War/Gears of War 2/Killzone 2/& Uncharted 2. That's why I'm think they meant miles ahead of any other game in the genre.

Honestly though, we'll never know. I'm just going to give Mass Effect 2 it's due credit: yes, it looks fantastic, definitely one of the better looking games this gen so far. However, I still would give, given what I've seen of it, Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 higher ranks for graphics. Just my opinion though.

I would have agreed straight away if they just said "best looking WRPG to date" that would have made more sense.

tombi123 said:
starcraft said:
Put it this way.

So they didn't mean PC by 'competition' but they did mean PS3? Because ME2 doesn't hold a candle to Crysis. What is the point in trying to spin an ambiguous comment from one reviewer when everyone can clearly see that ME2 is worse graphically than Uncharted 2?

I think you know why ;)

CGI-Quality said:
Ping_ii said:

According to IGN, Mass Effect 2 received a 9.5 in the graphics department alongside Killzone 2. So according to IGN, KZ2 is not graphically superior to ME2! This argument that the 360 is so inferior to the PS3 is ridiculous at best when comparing technical abilities at the moment. The differences are trivial.