By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Perfect HDTV for 360 owners...

For anyone thinking of getting a 360 Elite because the HDMI port, you don't have to depending on whether you are in the market for an HDTV. Sharp has 1080p 32" LCD that takes a 1080p signal over component. So if you hadn't bother with the VGA solution you'd be able to get a 1080p via component. The TV has two HDMI inputs and most importantly and outstanding picture. I don't know if you'll be able to notice the differene on a 32" TV but I'm just putting this out there for those that are interested. I mean, I'm tempted just because of the picture quality at 720p. A 2000:1 contrast ration, with a 10000:1 dynamic contrast ratio makes for one helluva picture. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889101108

Around the Network

I'm just gonna say this really quick. First. a 32inch TV does *NOT* need 1080p. When I sit more than 4 feet from my 40inch I can not tell the diffrence. Second. Do not pick the TV you want off the internet. Go to a HDTV store. That you know the TVs are hooked up properly, and the 32 and 40inch Samsung/Sony LCD TVs are by *FAR* the best looking LCDs. If the Samsung 32/40inch LCDs are NOT the best looking the TVs are running though a image filter on the video feed, so the TVs look better. (it makes the Sony/Samsung look worse, because of their great video processor, but makes all the others look worse) If you want a cheap 32inch LCD TV. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5031323 That is the best looking 32inch LCD on the market, besides the sony. (colors) As I say. Do not pick a TV because the numbers are the best. My 6000:1 looks better than any other LCD TV. And comes near Plasma. My advice for buying HDTVs on a budget. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5031323

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Yes, Samsung and Sony TV are the best in the LCD range. Now, saying they come near plasma is complete nonsense. LCD is still plagued with bad black levels and lots of artifacts, which right away write them off getting near plasma quality. I won't even go into the color range. Even LCD makers say they won't be able to overcome all these problems before several years. The only thing approaching plasma are the latest DLP techno, and they're still far from getting there. I wonder also : are these 32" TV really true 1080p displays ? I thought they couldn't put so much pixels on a screen below 40".

Well Kwaad, I already have a 32 inch LCD HDTV set. I put this info up more for forum users that DONT have an HDTV set. As for the internet thing, what most people do is this. Go to Circuit City or Best Buy and look at all the HD sets there. Once they've made a choice they can go on line to a reputable dealer such as New Egg and save themselves $400 or $500. Ookaze, this is a new model. The smallest 1080p set I had seen before was 37". In fact, the Sharp 37" 1080p actually sold out on New Egg rather quickly. The only other 1080p sets that I have seen that are smaller are really monitors. Any HDTV that doesn't have a built in tuner is a monitor IMO.

I don't really trust the brand name for sharp, I have a 27" HD one and it doesn't really work as well as others, when you press buttons their is a considerable amount of lag.

Around the Network

Yeah. I agree with you on this Andrew. I dont like sharp. ookaze - go to a HDTV store... that is setup properly, with no video optimizers on the main feed. Compare the 40inch Samsung LCD 1080p to the 42inch Plasma 1080p. The diffrence is low. And the 42inch plasma, is one of the best. The 32inch and 40inch Sony/Samsung are in a class of their own for picture on LCD. And back to that. That is why I say get the 32inch Samsung at wal-mart. Cheapest price. One of the best looking HDTVs for under 1,000$. And it's LCD... AND 32inch. And what kinda artifacts are you talking about? I've never heard of this before on a Samsung. Also, there is a 26inch Dell 1080p monitor with HDMI hookup. for about 600-700$. Dont ask me what it is anymore. It's a monitor. not a TV tuner. But you can hook HDMI video into it.

42inch plasma 1080p, but which brand? Pioneer makes some of the best Plasma's around, and they beat LCD's in contrast, color and response time. But any artifacting in an LCD is due to the processor in the TV, not the display technology itself.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Just wondering have they got the image burning thing on the plasmas worked out yet? But if I remeber correctly you can't have plasmas below 20" or something, I like Sony the best for t.v.s but pioneer if very good too, I have a old 32" Rear projection screen that is panisonic and whenever you turn it the colors get distorted at the side, thought I don't know very much about them. My dad wants a 50" but I want a 78" one that would be alot of fun having a halo party on a 78" screen don't you think?

1080p is great on big ass tvs, at 40" or smaller and 8 feet away you wont notice the differance between 1080i and 1080p so save your money. the important "things" about tvs are contrast ratio color saturation color accuracy

Hus said: 1080p is great on big ass tvs, at 40" or smaller and 8 feet away you wont notice the differance between 1080i and 1080p so save your money. the important "things" about tvs are contrast ratio color saturation color accuracy
Contrast ratio = useless numbers. Look at it. Color Saturation = useless numbers. Look at it. Color Accuracy = Useless numbers. Look at it. My advice. Go to a HDTV store. Look at the 40inch Samsung LCD, and then look at ANY other LCD tv. if they look NEAR as good... leave the store. There are optimization boxes that improve image quality, on cheaper TVs. I agree that the contrast/color is the most important. 720p is fine on my 40inch. I have 1080p... but bah. I cant tell much of a diffrence if I'm less than 4 feet from the screen.