By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Animal Crossing: City Folk was a serious FAILURE

Animal Crossing: City Folk was a serious FAILURE

Am I right? 37 43.02%

or am I right? lol (Wrong) 49 56.98%

Total:86

Right now, the game is about 3.75m, and getting outsold by a host of Nintendo's other titles. This was supposed to keep Wii momentum going? Yea, right. Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree 2 might was well have been their holiday 2008 title, the original sold about the same (3.4m) Wii Speak pretty much failed to launch because of it.

I'm glad it failed too (yea, I said it) Nintendo tried to test how little amount of effort they could put in a game and the response was a large backfire. Wii Music is limping to 3m, and this game might not make 4.5m.

Nintendo better not try to pull that half-assed thing again. We've seen how this type of software can almost COMPLETELY stunt a console's momentum.

EDIT: I had a dream that I got banned for this somehow, so let me just say I was a little harsh, but yea, AC:City Folk was an underperforming title. According to what Nintendo had in store for it, a failure.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network

I think that 98% of all developer would want to have that kind of so called "failure" for thier game... 3.75 million copies... but the funny thing is that 98% of them probably never had a game with those salesnumber

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

It was completely addictive too!

I don't get why most people didn't considered it a "BIG" holiday title.
Especially the japanese. To me it was.

I wouldn't call it a failure. A LOT of developers would be absolutely gob-smackingly ecstatic to see their games reach 3-4 million in sales. Heck, a ton of hit HD 'core' games have sold far less. I'm sure Nintendo's profits on the game have been insane.

Still, yes it was a lazy-ass effort, and I didn't buy it. It had so much potential, too bad it was never realized. For newcomers though, I'm sure it was marvelous.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

almost 4 million copies? Wow, what a nice failure x)

Around the Network

hey Savior.. are you Rol'ing us?

Pixel Art can be fun.

It's only a failure in the sense that it didn't help with Wii's momentum, but you can say that about nearly all Sony and Microsoft internal games too. Uncharted is just as big of a "failure" as Wii Music and Animal Crossing Wii.

Depends on your defination. It sold 3.5m which is a huge hit by anyone's standards. That's a lot more than could be expected of Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, FE, etc. Heck that's a lot more than most 3rd party titles on any system.

However, as a system mover, it and Wii Music failed epically. You are right, they really failed to innovate with AC:CF and it hurt them big time. They were smart to focus on their female audience but they didn't take AC:CF anywhere near far enough into social gaming.

As proof, look at the success of that farming game on youtube. It's massive. Definitely a big miss by Nintendo but other developers only wish they could have misses (or even hits) like that.

It was a failure -- much like Wii Music was a failure.

Both of these games had great sales. But they did not expand the audience. Wii Music was much more difficult than people who previously pretended to play guitar thought a music game could be. Animal Crossing was much more derivative of both of its predecessors than it was expected to be.

In other words, they were not as strong an entrants into the Nintendo first-party as anticipated.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

City Folk is horrible... They should do a better DS version instead. I agree: even though there are almost 4 million copies out there, it completely failed to innovate. It's just a boring Wii version of Wild World.

Maneco's Hall of Lame
As of October 2010 and, hopefully, until the end of times

Notable Mentions (a.k.a. "Games I Played and Hated")

The Legend of Zelda:
Ocarina of Time

Pokémon Channel

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity