By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Asking users is in fact the worst response, the proper response is not to listen to your customers, but understand the reasons a customer buys something, or doesn't.

Too many incumbents listen to their customers and then get sent in the very wrong direction.

Listening to their sw houses and developers is also wrong as those are the same developers who put them in the position to be disrupted and most of those devs are getting disrupted as well.

Resources will not help them Alb, in fact resources will likely hinder them in responding correctly to Nintendo, often times its the less resourced dsiruptor that destroys the well resourced incumbent, because the incumbent for all their resources lacks the processes and values to understand the disruption.

Nintendo is already fighting, and winning, but there is nothing that shows that Sony and MS can counter Nintendo's battle plans, so there is little reason for Nintendo to change plans

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

^^
Asking users is obviously oversimplifying a wider process of studying existent and potential market, nevertheless it must be done too, as it often helps clearing some issues (*).
And about SW houses, I wrote about asking the most dynamic and open to innovation ones, although reassuring the most conservative they'll have adequate dev tools to make good use of new features and that nobody wants to disrupt them, but opening them new unexploited markets and making them disruptive, not disrupted, could help a lot, marketing must not always mean swindling people, if there are concrete ideas behind it can be actually informative and constructive.
Nintendo, having a so strong SW division, is in a different position from its HW competitors, it owns dynamic developers to ask, but Sony and MS would better ask also selected 3rd parties, because not having in house the same instruments as Nintendo, they must complete them.
Finally, Nintendo hasn't to change its plans, at most fine tune some particulars, but simply avoid lowering its guard or resting on its laurels.

(*)Edit: Although you are right about the risk of being misleading, for a simple reason: as most hardcore gamers, with tastes often quite different from the masses, are more likely to exhaustively answer polls, the sample will be quite biased and answers will need to be adequately weighted and filtered. Not doing it the result will likely be similar to letting an engineer write an instruction manual aimed to housewives (and so making them desperate ones  ).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Even the most open to innovation and dynamic SW houses have been of little help to Sony and MS this gen, and have shown little progress in getting better, maybe it speaks poorly of the industry as a whole, but its there, so it won't help them.

No actually asking users will net them the wrong answers, users will ask for better internet, better graphics, etc. things that have not mattered to the Wii. You have to understand consumer behavior, not what they say they want, because they'll always say they want something they won't use.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Sony can rip off Wii Sports and give it some sort of Play, Create, Share twist like they did with LBP (rip off Mario) and Modnation Racers (rip-off Mario Kart). That would be really great to see!

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
@Avinash and Metallicube:
I don't and cannot expect from Sony and MS a fully working reaction to WiiMote and its philosophy, if only because they can't seamlessly glue completely new controls and gaming philosophies to consoles that were born completely different and "classic" and have now accumulated tens million HW and SW sales without these novelties. I expect more that for this gen they experiment with the new devices and dev tools, but a true complete and effective reaction will be possible next gen, including all the novelties in the standard equipment, possibly inventing something new or also, like I wrote, choosing a mix from the new and old things that they think could differentiate them from competitors and cater for audiences partially and not totally overlapping. This gen, necessary experiments apart, they'll do at most damage control, never tried to deny it, what I believe is that despite Nintendo being the undisputed leader, MS and Sony are reacting well enough to avoid disruption or delay it enough to be ready when next gen begins, nothing to write home about, but enough to prevent Nintendo from reaching 50%.
How well MS and Sony will do next gen, though, is a thing that we can't know now, but nothing is granted to the previous winner, and both Nintendo and Sony know it perfectly because they experimented it.
And in previous posts I didn't even mention XB360's tie ratio a lot higher than Sony's and Nintendo's, so that Wii SW % < Wii HW % < 50%, another factor preventing or strongly delaying disruption.
Let's not forget that failed invasion of Russia through the centuries show that slowing and getting in the mud fast intruders/disruptors is an effective tactic to stop them, despite it being completely different from counter-disruption.
And then there is another factor: de facto synergies, even unintentional: Nintendo and MS de facto effected a synergic action to dethronize Sony, but Sony and Nintendo did and are doing the same to prevent MS from conquering another monopoly and Sony and MS are doing another one to prevent Nintendo's disruption. With 3 strong players balance is a lot more complicated than oversimplified theories. Even without considering 3rd parties that furtherly complicate all.

No, see the problem is as I point out, you can't go half and half, the upmarket has totally different values than the down market and in order to appeal to one you have to basically shortchange the other, trying to go for both would leave them with a system that is appealing to neither.

Also next gen, Sony and MS will be even further behind the curve than this gem because Nintendo spent this gen building up the skills needed to appeal to the downmarket, Sony and MS have none of those skills, and it takes time to build them up, Nintendo will be able to further trap them in their shrinking box

So you agree that the Wii is neglecting the "core" gamers in favor of the casuals then I suppose?

Around the Network

^People wouldn't be interested, since the Wii already has those games

What does you mean? What people and what games?

Avinash_Tyagi said:

Yes but not all the peoples have the Wiis.

Mummelmann said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
@Avinash and Metallicube:
I don't and cannot expect from Sony and MS a fully working reaction to WiiMote and its philosophy, if only because they can't seamlessly glue completely new controls and gaming philosophies to consoles that were born completely different and "classic" and have now accumulated tens million HW and SW sales without these novelties. I expect more that for this gen they experiment with the new devices and dev tools, but a true complete and effective reaction will be possible next gen, including all the novelties in the standard equipment, possibly inventing something new or also, like I wrote, choosing a mix from the new and old things that they think could differentiate them from competitors and cater for audiences partially and not totally overlapping. This gen, necessary experiments apart, they'll do at most damage control, never tried to deny it, what I believe is that despite Nintendo being the undisputed leader, MS and Sony are reacting well enough to avoid disruption or delay it enough to be ready when next gen begins, nothing to write home about, but enough to prevent Nintendo from reaching 50%.
How well MS and Sony will do next gen, though, is a thing that we can't know now, but nothing is granted to the previous winner, and both Nintendo and Sony know it perfectly because they experimented it.
And in previous posts I didn't even mention XB360's tie ratio a lot higher than Sony's and Nintendo's, so that Wii SW % < Wii HW % < 50%, another factor preventing or strongly delaying disruption.
Let's not forget that failed invasion of Russia through the centuries show that slowing and getting in the mud fast intruders/disruptors is an effective tactic to stop them, despite it being completely different from counter-disruption.
And then there is another factor: de facto synergies, even unintentional: Nintendo and MS de facto effected a synergic action to dethronize Sony, but Sony and Nintendo did and are doing the same to prevent MS from conquering another monopoly and Sony and MS are doing another one to prevent Nintendo's disruption. With 3 strong players balance is a lot more complicated than oversimplified theories. Even without considering 3rd parties that furtherly complicate all.

No, see the problem is as I point out, you can't go half and half, the upmarket has totally different values than the down market and in order to appeal to one you have to basically shortchange the other, trying to go for both would leave them with a system that is appealing to neither.

Also next gen, Sony and MS will be even further behind the curve than this gem because Nintendo spent this gen building up the skills needed to appeal to the downmarket, Sony and MS have none of those skills, and it takes time to build them up, Nintendo will be able to further trap them in their shrinking box

So you agree that the Wii is neglecting the "core" gamers in favor of the casuals then I suppose?

Not actively neglecting, but rather that the values of the Wii and Nintendo's strategy were more appealing to the downmarket, the upmarket core being those that care moreso about graphics and narrative being more appealed by the 360 and PS3 incumbents, of course as with any disruptive innovation, as the incumbents cede more and more downmarket to the disruptor by moving more upstream and focusing on their most loyal customers, the disruptor moves more upmarket

Fufinu said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Yes but not all the peoples have the Wiis.

They would buy the Wii if they wanted those games