By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The new generation of gamers are scary!

Scoobes said:

I agree with the first paragraph. I've almost lost complete hope of a deep and involving story with multiple options in the style of Deus Ex. The only game FPS in recent years that I actually cared about the character and story in SP in Half-Life 2 + episodes.

AHHH, Deus Ex!!!  I LOVED that game and has almost completely forgotten about it... hell yeah, how come there isnt more games like THAT around?!

Around the Network

It used to be you couldn't release a game that was multiplayer only and it end up doing anything. Now, with the Internet, we may be seeing this change. If there are enough players online for a game, players are able to then just play online, to play with their friends. Gaming goes back to playing games against other players (or with), and not something that are meant as storytelling devices you play alone.

People are social animals and do want to do stuff with other people normally.

PlaystaionGamer said:
Garnett said:
SP are boring in general, why play SP when we see the same thing every time.

i hope that was a joke

In terms of replaying a game, it is closer to being true, than a joke. 

PlaystaionGamer said:
its a very sad day for gaming

Check out the "Games don't need stories" thread:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=95973&page=1

Also look up the definition of what a game is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game

A game is a structured activity, usually undertaken for enjoyment and sometimes used as an educational tool. Games are distinct from work, which is usually carried out for remuneration, and from art, which is more concerned with the expression of ideas. However, the distinction is not clear-cut, and many games are also considered to be work (such as professional players of spectator sports/games) or art (such as jigsaw puzzles or games involving an artistic layout such as Mahjong solitaire).

Single-player in the normal defintion of game, is the exception, not the rule.  Same with saying games are storytelling devices and presuming that a game ALWAYS has to tell a story, have compelling characters, and so on.

bmmb1 said:
I find this real funny (or maybe, more accurately, ironic) - perhaps pretty soon people who like a story/SP will find themselves in the same situation as Wii owners find themselves today - lots of developers will not want to develop their kind of games. Today lots of PS360 fans say they can't stand the thought of Wii graphics - tomorrow those of them that value a story/SP/immersiveness ("games as art") may find themselves on the wrong side of the road, with no one wanting to develop for them. Oh the irony.

Multiplayer, with a large following, keeps games from hitting the used market, and thus cost developers sales.  The money calls the shots.  You can find stuff like Civilization though, which is single player, and has good replayability.  You lose crafted story when you go with replayability, and it is replaced with people creating their own narratives.  The industry is hitting a crossroads where the creation of story-driven single player experiences is getting to be too expensive to be able to do as much as is financially viable.

Around the Network
Barozi said:
CoD4 SP > Uncharted 2 SP IMO

although that's slightly off topic now.

And yeah only playing multiplayer is a waste and a shame. MP is soulless and can be done by almost everyone, but creating a good story with deep characters filled with astounding music and good voice actors is the hard part of a game.
That's art. MP is not art.

No, multiplayer as a creation is not mean to be art, by the defintion of art.  Art is meant to be an experience you normally don't participate in.  HOWEVER, there is an art to creating good multiplayer games.  Plenty of boardgames are masterful pieces of work, that are appealing on many levels.  Actually games themselves aren't normally art either, by the classic definition. 

In regards to boardgame stuff, you will find a large number that are engaging and work, and seen as excellent in design here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com

Completely agree. I still get very annoyed when reading some random forum and see people requesting online Mp and Co-op for every game. I enjoy co-op for U2 and play it's MP but I want a single Player first and foremost. I bought Warhawk and still haven't opened it. I'll probably just give it away as a present or throw it in the box. That'll hopefully be the last online only game I ever buy. It's just not something I want to support.