By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I'm cutting back on gaming.

loves2splooge said:
gamelover2000 said:
Dogswithguns said:
You and me both.... $60 a game too much for me($60 a week, $2880 a year. wow). almost week after week new games I wanted, more and more money spending that I don't even have for more important spending things like bills. not to mention I don't even have the time to play all of my games that I already have.

You seem like someone with little trophies (your gamercard) im not sure if its up-to-date but if not try to platinum alot of the games you have so far

if you get into it you can get ALOT of fun out of 1 game and the platinum trophy in the end will make you realise you completed it.. that could mean you could sell it again for a nice amount of money (but only if you want to)

both the to much money spending and to much games buying fixed? :D

Honestly, going for that 1000G or Platinum in games for the most part isn't fun and feels tedious. A lot of achievements/trophies are basically boring grinds and are just there as a substitute for real replay value. Every time I see someone playing through a level and be all like "oh I gotta replay, I didn't kill the boss this way or I didn't pick up this collectable. Now I'm gonna miss the achievement/trophy", I feel like slapping them. Why not play the game as you normally play it instead of obsessing over killing a boss in a certain way or collecting this and that or whatever? Achievement/Trophy design could be a lot better than it currently is. I absolutely love Crackdown but there's no way I'd be crazy enough to go for the 500 agility orbs and 300 hidden orbs achievements (the game does have a lot of neat achievements though but not those one). There are better things to waste your time on.

And online achievements/trophies are killing online multiplayer. People playing online with acheivements/trophies in mind rather than playing for fun.

I have never really into the achievements or trophies that's why I didn't have much. ...I just play when I had the time, if not I'd just play online and be done with the days or nights. it's like I love buying the games more than playing. kinda like that.

Around the Network

Wow, I'm still amazed by this thread. Between now and the end of March we're getting absolutely bombarded with games, 80-90% of which are probably guaranteed to be amazing, and you guys are all bored? Also, have you played Uncharted 2, Killzone 2, Little Big Planet, Dragon Age, Demon's Souls, Modern Warfare 2, or any of the other good ones that have come out in the last few months?

I just went over to Gamestop yesterday and pre-ordered:

God of War 3
Mass Effect 2
MAG
Heavy Rain
Bioshock 2

That stuff is all going to be out by the end of March. We're basically getting Holiday 2009 part II. This is no time to be bored!! This is the time to get excited about all the delayed titles you were supposed to be able to look forward to last year!!!

Again, to each his/her own, but I don't get all the Debbie Downers in here.

Domicinator said:
Wow, I'm still amazed by this thread. Between now and the end of March we're getting absolutely bombarded with games, 80-90% of which are probably guaranteed to be amazing, and you guys are all bored? Also, have you played Uncharted 2, Killzone 2, Little Big Planet, Dragon Age, Demon's Souls, Modern Warfare 2, or any of the other good ones that have come out in the last few months?

God of War 3
Mass Effect 2
MAG
Heavy Rain
Bioshock 2

That stuff is all going to be out by the end of March. We're basically getting Holiday 2009 part II. This is no time to be bored!! This is the time to get excited about all the delayed titles you were supposed to be able to look forward to last year!!!

How can you play 5 games to their fullest in such a short period of time? I still haven't beaten Prince of Persia, Bio Shock, Burnout Paradise (not sure if I will, maybe summer?), and Demon's Soul (playing the shit out of it so much that I think I'm addicted O.o Gotta cut down), and I haven't replayed MGS4 (not my cup of tea, but I want to give it another shot), Flower, Nobi-Nobi Boy (not sure if I'll ever play it again), need to get better at Oblivion (even though I spent dozzens of hours on it), need to Platinum inFamous (fucking boring to get the shards, worst trophy ever), need to re-play Uncharted 2 (I can't believe how much I neglected it! Fucking Bad Company 2 beta and Demon's Soul), need to re-play Killzone 2 (fucking multiplayer is not my cup of tea), need to replay Medieval II and all of its expansions.

I have played the shit out of:

Bad Company 1 (hate it now, ever since playing Bad Company 2 I can NEVER go fucking back. All of its flaws just stick out like a sore thumb ever since I played the worst few rounds with KylieDog).

Rome: Total War (although I haven't progressed in the Barborum expansion at all)

... I'm a horrible person >.< I don't think I can ever catch up, even with the summer X.X

And there's all the anime I downloaded and haven't watched, school work...

If only I was immortal...

Majin-Tenshinhan said:

I don't know if anybody even cares, really, but I just wanted to alert all of you that I'll be cutting back on gaming, and by extension, maybe cutting back on VGChartz as well.

As is fairly evident, I'm a pretty avid gamer and I buy a lot of games. Thing is, I've realized, due in large part to Assassin's Creed II that I'm just not having fun. Some games I'm having loads of fun with, but a lot of games I play just aren't doing it for me, at all. And I need to stop spending money on them. I'm not saying Assassin's Creed II is a bad game - Far from it. It's clearly a very well-made game, but during the 10 or so hours I've invested into it I really just haven't had a lick of fun. And I say this as someone who really enjoyed the first game. I don't even know why, I'm just not enjoying it much at all.

So this year I'll be cutting back on my gaming purchases. I am in no way quitting gaming, because I still have tons of fun when equipped with the right game, but I'll be cutting down, perhaps severely, on the games I purchase and the games I play. As a result of this, I may end up posting a lot less around here (something I feel has already happened these last few weeks).

Like I said, I have no idea if anybody even cares, I just wanted to get this off my chest to all of you. I'm just really happy that I haven't lost touch with gaming entirely, because I still feel great amounts of joy from a lot of games (for example, Nintendo-games, which have always been my true passion within gaming).

I understand how you are feeling, i was a Pro-Pikmin boy back in the 2002-2005 years, i loved my GCN most than anything in the world, i got lots of games for it (about 30 games, but sold most of them, only kept 8). But at the end of the GCN, as the system was dying itself. I realized that gaming was not that important for me, began to study the things i loved, after i cleared up my mind i prepared myself for going in to college and now in 2010 i m back into gaming.

Sometimes you only need to let it go for a while, when you come back, you are going to discover new ways to have fun with gaming and beging to love it again.

Just have fun with the off-season of gaming you are going to take and be sure to come back here (alive !)  XD XD XD

Akvod said:
Domicinator said:

God of War 3
Mass Effect 2
MAG
Heavy Rain
Bioshock 2

How can you play 5 games to their fullest in such a short period of time? I still haven't beaten Prince of Persia, Bio Shock, Burnout Paradise (not sure if I will, maybe summer?), and Demon's Soul (playing the shit out of it so much that I think I'm addicted O.o Gotta cut down), and I haven't replayed MGS4 (not my cup of tea, but I want to give it another shot), Flower, Nobi-Nobi Boy (not sure if I'll ever play it again), need to get better at Oblivion (even though I spent dozzens of hours on it), need to Platinum inFamous (fucking boring to get the shards, worst trophy ever), need to re-play Uncharted 2 (I can't believe how much I neglected it! Fucking Bad Company 2 beta and Demon's Soul), need to re-play Killzone 2 (fucking multiplayer is not my cup of tea), need to replay Medieval II and all of its expansions.

Bad Company 1 (hate it now, ever since playing Bad Company 2 I can NEVER go fucking back. All of its flaws just stick out like a sore thumb ever since I played the worst few rounds with KylieDog).

Rome: Total War (although I haven't progressed in the Barborum expansion at all)

... I'm a horrible person >.< I don't think I can ever catch up, even with the summer X.X

I don't like to have only one game going at a time.  Some nights I'm in the mood for some types of games, and other nights I'm in the mood for other types of games.  Also, after my family goes to bed at night, I spend about 3 hours gaming on the weeknights and up to 6 hours a night on the weekends unless I have other stuff going on.  So that's a lot of hours a week.  When you have a 2 1/2 year old, most of the fun stuff you do is at home--perfect for a gamer.  After my son is tucked in for the night and my wife zonks out on the couch....time to game.

Around the Network
Domicinator said:
Akvod said:
Domicinator said:

God of War 3
Mass Effect 2
MAG
Heavy Rain
Bioshock 2

I don't like to have only one game going at a time.  Some nights I'm in the mood for some types of games, and other nights I'm in the mood for other types of games.  Also, after my family goes to bed at night, I spend about 3 hours gaming on the weeknights and up to 6 hours a night on the weekends unless I have other stuff going on.  So that's a lot of hours a week.  When you have a 2 1/2 year old, most of the fun stuff you do is at home--perfect for a gamer.  After my son is tucked in for the night and my wife zonks out on the couch....time to game.

Arghhhh, hate having a fucking room mate. Can't jerk off more than once a day, no TV, no music during the fucking night, no fucking Jacquzee, no Big Screen TV...

Fucking hate college.

yeah it happens to most of us eventually. Ive severely cut back throughout the past several years. Both from lack of time and dis interest.

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

You gotta do some soul-searching. The type of games you enjoyed when you were younger are probably the same things you enjoy now, but you don't recognize it.

I don't mean Frogger, but something like Bomberman that you just grew out of. Some times you gotta go back to basics, especially in a generation with the lowest amount of originality in videogame history.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

1337 Gamer said:
yeah it happens to most of us eventually. Ive severely cut back throughout the past several years. Both from lack of time and dis interest.

Not me.  I have increased my gaming as I've gotten older.  Played casually as a kid, and got pretty into it by the end of high school.  Quit in college (not by choice, but because I had no hardware to play on).  After college, got right back into it.  I now have a "man room" in my basement complete with a gaming PC, PS3, 360, and HDTV.  When all the stresses of the day are over and family time has come to an end, I'm down here the rest of the night.  I look forward to 2 things all day long:  seeing my wife and son, and playing my games.

i can relate to this topic kinda. just for the simple fact, i own all three consoles this generation including the handhelds and all of last generation consoles.

i'm addicted to purchasing cheap/lower priced games that are within my budget. so if i see games that are like $5 a piece and they are interesting to me then i will buy it and my collection just gets bigger and bigger.

i have like 40 something games or more total within my collection and i play all the consoles each when i get the chance. its hard and i tried to play one game per console but that just doesn't work for me. first i get bored real quick and second i must have a variety of games to play and besides i'm a collector. i buy games. its not an addiction its more like an hobby and something i like to do. rather than doing drugs and getting drunk. i'm actually keeping myself occupied and not bothering anyone.

my suggestion to you is to say, your not moving away from gaming i just think personally you just are winded and you need a break. just take some time off and get yourself together and then come back and play a game or two. the same with vgchartz. i'm not on this site 24/7. i have a iife outside of gaming but its a hobby. i don't know if someone said something to you to get you to be like this but whatever it may be just take a relaxing vacation and then come back!

to be honest after seeing this thread the first time through i had to rethink my gaming and after tonight i confirmed that one game per console is "yuck". having multiple games to play is where its at!

sent via PC