By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii 3rd-Parties, Spin,New Motion Devices, Wii HD, The Universe & Everything

noname2200 said:
Azelover said:
noname2200 said:
Azelover said:
mercurial masses?

Prancing Pirates.

I don't understand that expression, English isn't a first language for me. Seemed curious.

I was just trying to keep the alliteration going.

"Mercurial masses" is something like "fickle people." The connotation is different (it's less insulting to the masses, for starters), but the idea is the same.

How about this: it corresponds to the planet of Mercury where this mass [of people] gravitates toward a certain type of game.

The BuShA owns all!

Around the Network

3rd parties: Look at dem nintendo muthas, we losing money n day making billions man **** dem rich muthas!
Wii: Day see me roll'en day hat'en.......

Gaming make me feel GOOD!

thx1139 said:
Nice article, but I feel as for Nintendo titles and sequels the article misses one big difference that Nintendo titles for the most part ignore.

Nintendo titles dont have stories they are telling.

Mario Kart Wii - no story
NSMBWii - Well not no story but every Mario title has the same story
Wii Sports - no story
Wii Sports Resort - no story

The 3rd party titles and 1st party titles on other consoles try to tell a story and then people want to experience the continuance of the story. Even Zelda falls to this to some extent. Nintendo wants to avoid stories, because they feel they then will have more need for sequels during a generation.

Sports titles are a little different. Publishers rely on the fact that sports nuts want updated rosters each year to reflect the real teams.

They might be rudimentary, but WRS and NSMBWii both actually have a "story".  Mario Kart and Wii Sports don't really though.  Other Wii games like Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Smash Brawl and even Mario Galaxy have fairly involved stories for their series and genres though.

I've heard this sort of "story" argument pushed before, and it seems nonsensical to me.  You don't need to be a cinematic wankfest like MGS or FF to push a provoking narrative, sometimes subtlety and active experience will do more for you.  Majora's Mask is a good example of that, and it's also a game with one of the boldest and impactful stories I've ever played.

What I mean by story is that Nintendo doesnt really try to create games where gamers really wants to know what happens next and thus have sequels during the same generation.

Super Mario Galaxy 2. Let me guess Bowser will kidnap the Princess and Mario will try to save her.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

thx1139 said:
What I mean by story is that Nintendo doesnt really try to create games where gamers really wants to know what happens next and thus have sequels during the same generation.

Super Mario Galaxy 2. Let me guess Bowser will kidnap the Princess and Mario will try to save her.

I'm pretty sure complaints about lack of story-telling in Mario platform games is one of the first signs of the apocalypse.

Around the Network
thx1139 said:

Narrative certainly helps drive games like Zelda, Metroid or Fire Emblem.  And even if it wasn't the driving force for progression, something like Mario Galaxy still had an involved story arc, and even a pretty genuinely touching backstory (which was basically a retelling of The Little Prince). You're right in that Nintendo always puts gameplay and game design first, but well... they're making games.  That's how it should be.